Gransnet forums

Pets

Grass seeds

(8 Posts)
Maya1 Tue 19-Jul-22 08:27:29

I wanted to make anyone with long haired dogs aware of these getting into awkward places.
Finn, our BC has had them before stuck in his ears and once in his eye but yesterday l found one stuck in his side.
The point had embedded into his skin. It was only by chance as l was brushing him that l felt a bump and thought it was a tick.
If l hadn't found it, it would have caused an infection.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 19-Jul-22 08:31:30

At the moment I’m watching my terrier as he has sneezed a lot and I am concerned he has one up his nose. I shall wait and see.

It is a really bad year for rye grass seed, which are the worst I think.

Maya1 Tue 19-Jul-22 10:14:40

Fingers crossed wwm2, I hope you dog is OK. Yes l agree this the worst year as its so dry.
Finn had been sneezing the day he went in for his op on his leg. The vet offered to check his nose. He threaded some twine through but couldn't find anything.
The cost now is astronomical. He had a small lump removed from his leg ,over £900.00. If something had been further up his nose, it would have cost another £400.00.
They say it like it's pence, not hundreds of pounds.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 20-Jul-22 14:27:44

Watch out for the little burs from goose-grass too, and all of these affect cats as well as dogs.

MaizieD Wed 20-Jul-22 14:31:02

grandtanteJE65

Watch out for the little burs from goose-grass too, and all of these affect cats as well as dogs.

Oh, goodness! My little dog licks them off and eats them. He loves goose grass seeds...

MayBee70 Wed 20-Jul-22 14:35:26

It worries me when I put grass seed on the lawn ( I have an area that’s specifically for the dog that I have to reseed regularly).

LittleToothill Sat 14-Jan-23 07:36:08

I’ve just joined this group and wanted to add my experiences this summer with two of my 6 dogs . My little Lhasa Apso started limping I put a poultice on her foot which caused a wound . The vet immediately said grass seed and she needed surgery which resulted in a £500 bill ! My second dog a GSD was at the groomers who alerted me to grass seeds in her chest . My daughter and I took out over 25 that were embedded in her skin all over her body & were like fish hooks . I’ve had dogs for over 45 years and never experienced anything like this before

Katie59 Sat 14-Jan-23 07:50:16

I wouldn’t have thought ryegrass or lawn seed was too much of a risk but plenty of others are, Oat grass, Field Barley and Brome are far more likely to stick to a dogs coat. It’s worst in high summer when seeds are ripe and falling off, having a long coated dog must be a nightmare.