Gransnet forums

Pets

The joy of owning a dog

(143 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Tue 19-Jul-22 21:42:51

I saw the post yesterday about dogs jumping on people and I wholeheartedly agree this is not on. My sister has a huge labradoodle who does this to me every time he sees me. He's a gentle giant and I love him dearly, but in the winter he gets me covered in mud which is really annoying. Anyway I wanted to say to the person who commented very disparagingly about dogs on that thread how great they are. Dogs are faithful companions who will give you unconditional love. They're always pleased to see you no matter what. Studies have shown that stroking a dog for a just a few minutes can lower blood pressure, thus reducing stress levels. Dog owners recover from illnesses quicker, get more exercise and importantly more social interaction. Dogs make a house a home and I wouldn't be without my little pup. She's like a member of the family and I like having her to care for. It's a bit like having a child and my GCs love her to bits too. My DH is the same, but he won't admit it! I've also met people on my walks that have never owned a dog before, but got one during lockdown and can't believe how much they enjoy having a dog. A dog will give you moments of joy everyday.

oodles Sun 24-Jul-22 19:42:31

I digit for my daughter and partners dogs regularly and when they go away, they think I'm Nanna and I love them and they love me, they don't smell as the house is kept clean, the floors regularly washed and blankets etc are washed regularly. I did know someone who's house stank to high heaven as they had a dog then 2 dogs who lived in the house while both of them went to work full time, they shouldn't have had them really as they do need to go out at least once during the working day. The rest of the people with dogs I know didn't have doggy smells at home.

MayBee70 Sat 23-Jul-22 17:03:37

There’s a very active Sheltie Facebook page.

sodapop Sat 23-Jul-22 13:59:31

That's GN service at its best bobby and Iam64 smile

bobbydog24 Sat 23-Jul-22 13:40:58

I live in Greater Manchester *iam64 . I’ve looked on Kennel club site and champdogs but no luck. Can you private message me with your information of litters please.

Iam64 Sat 23-Jul-22 13:32:14

Bobby dog, I googled sheltie puppies an found 3 litters available within 20 miles of Gtr Manchester, where I live. One litter had a sire who has won various show trophies. My mum has shelties, lovely dogs. Hope you find one

bobbydog24 Sat 23-Jul-22 13:15:22

I love dogs and since my husband died nearly 3 years ago I have thought of getting another.
I have had Shelties in the past and love their gentle nature but can I find one. Im having real difficulty locating one. If there is a kind Gransnetter out there that can point me in the right direction I’d be really grateful.

Minibookworm Sat 23-Jul-22 10:54:00

We don’t own a dog ourselves, due to the fact that they would be too tying. We are often travelling and sometimes go off spontaneously. Having said that we do dog sit regularly for a friend and a relative. Both of these dogs are very loving and enjoy their time with us and we enjoy having them.
I think we have the best of both worlds and this suits us for now. I am sure that in the future, when we'll travel less, we will definitely get our own bundle of fun.

grannygranby Sat 23-Jul-22 10:49:34

To share you house with dogs is the best. Their calm non judgmental companionship so relaxing. I too have this problem with friends who don’t like dogs. If they go back to when you didn’t have dogs well you wouldn’t have got into that position. And some of my most treasured memories are with those who embraced my dog warmly it makes such a difference. People can be very inconsiderate and unthinking. As someone said they give so much, can be so easily abused it makes the bond of respect even deeper. People who don’t get that really aren’t worth bothering with.
Cats are allowed freedom and you are not as totally responsible for them as you are dogs who aren’t allowed out without you.
My life now it very much shaped by getting the dogs to the woods, by the streams and letting them be free for a couple of hours a day. Which has changed my life and made me happy. After all the rest of the time they are under house arrest pretty much! Probably never have dogs had such limited lives and yet there are people obsessed in making it worse for them, banning them, insisting on leads in parks etc etc.
Dogs have been our companions for tens of thousands of years it’s a relationship based on trust and love.

Poppyjo Sat 23-Jul-22 03:20:39

Grannyrebel7 I have never had a dog, but always cats. I always say both were put in this earth to be loved. My late husband always said he did not like cats. Guess who spoiled them the most? Yes. They are family,

Deedaa Sat 23-Jul-22 00:28:23

It's 16 years since our last dog died and I still miss having his wet nose shoved into my hand to remind me he's there. My current situation means a dog is impossible but I did enjoy having one around.

vissos Sat 23-Jul-22 00:18:23

For anyone thinking they are (healthy but) too old for another dog you could always foster. Rescues are crying out for fosterers.
As others have said ex-racing greyhounds make great companions & don't need as much exercise as you might think, but most will take as much as you want to give them.
If you're looking for an older dog Oldies Club advertise dogs from age 7. They were recently also looking for fosterers.

simiisme Fri 22-Jul-22 23:34:42

My beautiful boy, Scooby, sadly died in January.
He was 13 and such a delightful, sweet-natured, smiley dog.
I adored him.

grannyrebel7 Fri 22-Jul-22 21:48:17

Thanks everyone. I've loved reading all your comments.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 22-Jul-22 21:28:20

Dogs have so much personality, they are great company, but when they die (as ours did in February) Chapter closes. I still think I hear her pitter patter here and there. My DH still goes out for a walk when we would have taken the dog. She was family.

Bluedaisy Fri 22-Jul-22 20:02:33

Bluebird just something to think about regarding buying a puppy. We bought my mum a little Yorkie for her 70th birthday, she was in good health so didn’t give it a thought as she was a young 70. However out of the blue she had a major stroke at 74 and to cut a long story short we ended up having to take her on. Have you thought of putting your name down for ie Bichon rescue / Maltese rescue or whatever type of dog you are after? Also Battersea dogs home can match you up to possibly a 4/5 year old? It’s non of my business but just saying, maybe you could give it a thought.
Bichon Frise, Maltese are also non moulting and good for asthma for AGAA4.

Joseanne Fri 22-Jul-22 19:47:37

flowers
For Bluedaisy. It makes me very sad every time.

Bossyrossy Fri 22-Jul-22 19:09:12

Our dog doesn’t jump up at people but he does greet visitors with a wagging tail and a wish to be acknowledged and patted, he will then leave them alone. Visitors who don’t like dogs are also greeted in the same way but the non dog loving visitor refuses to acknowledge him or pat him, so he persists in his friendly greeting in the hope of winning them over and getting a friendly pat, which just further irritates the visitor and I have to physically remove him. I know not everyone likes dogs but they really don’t know what they are missing although I’m sure there will be plenty of people on here who will tell me otherwise.

Nanna58 Fri 22-Jul-22 18:53:31

My 7th and 8th rescues from Spain where they are treated so very cruelly, and yet they’re love for people remains undiminished. There is a reason why dog is god , just spelled differently.

Iam64 Fri 22-Jul-22 18:48:02

Blue daisy, sincere condolences. It’s a family bereavement so please be tender with yourself xx

MayBee70 Fri 22-Jul-22 18:39:04

Blue daisy. No words really. x

merlotgran Fri 22-Jul-22 18:26:43

Peggy is twelve. I dread her going because we’ve been through a lot together and her loyalty and affection has made for a special bond.

She will be my last dog though..

Bluedaisy flowers

MawtheMerrier Fri 22-Jul-22 18:06:25

Bluedaisy flowers

effalump Fri 22-Jul-22 17:24:26

You should start training your puppies as soon as you get them. Most people say "aw he's only a puppy, there'll be plenty of time for training later". Same s those who own male dogs and refuse to get them neutered because it will 'change' them. I would suggest looking at YouTube for Martin McKenna, Dreadlock Dog man. Some of his earlier vids are best. The one I like was where he had a dog who jumps up and he stops that simply by standing, lifting your chin and closing your eyes while folding you arms (I think). Worked instantly.

Smileless2012 Fri 22-Jul-22 17:17:34

Oh Bluedaisy I'm so very sorry flowers. I'm without a cat for the first time since I can remember having lost my wonderful boy, far to soon in March.

I told Mr. S. he'd be my last but am really struggling as I miss him. Goodness knows what it would be like to be without our precious fur babies.

Just thinking about losing them makes me cry. I'll be sure to give ours extra kisses and cuddles tonight and again, I'm so sorry x.

I

Bluedaisy Fri 22-Jul-22 17:11:06

I agree Smileless2012 they don’t live long enough. Our beautiful little Maltese boy passed over last night to rainbow ? bridge unexpectedly and I’m devastated and heartbroken. Our house seems so empty and hollow and I miss his cuddles. I’ve been dreading this day since we brought him home as DH said he will definitely be the last one we have (he thinks they are a tie) I take my dogs everywhere and he was never ever left alone. I actually don’t see the point of my life without my fur babies to love and care for. I appreciate people are out there who don’t like dogs but if they are well trained and happy and don’t have been taught not to bother others by barking etc to me the worlds a happier place. He gave me a reason to get up in the morning and go for a walk. To all you Grans out there with dogs please give them an extra kiss and cuddle tonight as they leave us far too soon.