Gransnet forums

Pets

Lump after vaccination

(6 Posts)
Mazgg Fri 22-Jul-22 10:32:20

My 13 year old JRT had her booster jab over 4 weeks ago. Usually this is given in the back of the neck but was given below her left shoulder. As I was holding the dog I know this was where it was given. The next day a large lump appeared where the vaccination had been given. I contacted the vet and took her in to have it checked. The vet said she had probably gone into a muscle but it should go down without treatment. As it hadn't gone down after 4 weeks I asked for an appointment with the senior vet who said he didn't think it was due to the vaccination but was a fatty lump and prescribed anti inflammatories and booked her in next week for a biopsy to be done under general anaesthetic if it hadn't gone down. He said " I won't charge for today's consulation but the anti-inflammatory is £49"
I told him I thought it was too much of a coincidence for such a large lump to appear the day after the vaccination and in exactly the same place where the needle went in but he dismissed this. The lump is large and soft and 'wobbly' as though filled with fluid.
I am not wealthy but if my animals need treatment that is a priority. I am loathe to have a 13year old dog put under general anaesthetic unless it is necessary.
My family have used this vet practice for over 25 years but we have all noticed how they now seem to find ways of boosting their charges.
Anyone had a similar experience?

Shelflife Fri 22-Jul-22 11:15:34

I can understand why you are anxious about a general anaesthetic for your 13 year old dog. Can't help but assume the lump is direct consequence of the vaccination. Strange it was given in the shoulder rather than the usual site - the neck. Is there another vet in the practice you can discuss this with? If it is a result of vaccination I wouldn't have thought a biopsy would be necessary, but I am not a vet! My advice would be to get a second opinion either within your usual practice or try somewhere new. Good luck , keep posting and let us know what happens.

Gillycats Fri 22-Jul-22 11:46:44

Definitely with Shelflife here. I’d get a second opinion elsewhere. I’m not keen on vaccinations in pets as there are definitely some questions to be answered. I keep my dog’s vac’s up to date but do worry. I never keep up with my cat’s vaccinations. Unfortunately vet’s fees are so expensive now, I think they should be made to be more accountable. Good luck and let us know how your pup is x

Mazgg Wed 28-Dec-22 18:11:29

An update, 6 months on. The lump has now grown to slightly larger than a tennis ball and I have decided to have it removed. The op is booked for next Tuesday. Fluid was drawn from the lump and sent for analysis and the result was inconclusive but thought to be a fatty lump but an underlying possibility of a tumour. Millie is now thirteen and a half so will have her liver and kidney function checked prior to the anaesthetic.
I am worried sick about it and just hope I am making the right decision. She is a very fit little dog, still full of energy and enjoys her walks and runs across the fields. The vet made the point that she could live to a ripe old age (fingers crossed) and if I didn't have it done now might say in a couple of years time "I wish I'd had it done"
Has anyone had experience of putting an older dog through an anaesthetic?

Redrobin51 Wed 28-Dec-22 20:26:31

Our last rescue dog had to have an anesthetic to have xrays done when she was about 14 and has no problems at all. I know several people on the park who have elderly dogs who have had operations when they were 13 or 14. The only person who decided against it had a 14 year old dog with breathing problems and as the dog seemed to be still leading a happy life decided not to have the lump removed. I can totally understand where you are coming from and theynare so precious to us we always want to do the right thing by them. As long as my dog has no other health problems such as heart or breathing problems I would tend to go ahead.I hope everything goes well whatever you decide.

Oldbat1 Thu 29-Dec-22 09:54:17

One of my dogs had a much needed dental aged 15 and was fine in fact she lived for another 2yrs. Having said that my current 14yr old has a huge “fatty” lump on the back of her neck and I have opted to leave it as she is riddled with arthritis and on borrowed time. Any anaesthetic has its risks but they are so much better nowadays. Best wishes.