Gransnet forums

Pets

Dog owners again.

(118 Posts)
MissAdventure Wed 17-Aug-22 21:00:48

I am really not saying this to start a bundle, but how do some not seem to hear their dogs barking?

They are all a fair enough distance away, but there must be at least 4 different dogs from different directions which bark almost incessantly.

As I say, its little more than an irritant to me, as I'm deaf far enough away, but how can owners put up with it?

Jodieb Sun 21-Aug-22 17:28:34

Recently we got talking to two people in a pub garden. They had 3 border terriers with them. They were so well behaved. One word from the owner and they backed away even though I was happy to stroke them. She went on to say they were therapy dogs. Trained to relax people.

Cossy Sun 21-Aug-22 17:00:17

I think, as with everything, it really is the MINORITY not the MAJORITY of dog owners. I absolutely agree it’s been made 500% worse by Covid where irresponsible breeders took full advantage of tripling prices and selling dogs to “new” dog owners. As a lifelong dog owner (& lover of dogs), it breaks my heart to hear and see these utterly irresponsible owners giving the rest of us such a bad name and causing such grief. Get a book to learn about dogs first, borrow a dog and see how much time and expense dogs take up! Bring back dog licences and dog wardens! Don’t get a dog if you’re not prepared to invest time, money and effort into your beloved pet, get a ruddy goldfish instead !

Gillarms Sun 21-Aug-22 16:50:28

I just recently asked on my local Facebook page if the current trend was for folk to buy dogs but give no thought to training (I know I shouldn't have taken to Facebook but after 3 hours of one dog howling with many other dogs adding their tuppence worth every so often, I'd had enough). The abuse I got from some dog owners was awful and I was basically told that dogs bark, I should mind my own business and/or leave the village (not put as politely as that). I don't mind the odd bark but the dog that lives opposite me, barks from the minute its owners go out until they return. Worse, they leave it in the living room with an open window and it sits on the back of a sofa howling at everybody, everything and nothing at all. I work nightshift in a maternity unit and I know I can't expect other people to accommodate my circumstances but it seems even a little understanding is too much for the selfish dog owners round by me.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 21-Aug-22 16:45:42

It’s very sad. People can be so short sighted. The rescue centres are overflowing and have waiting lists for people wanting to get rid of pets. I feel very sorry for those who are forced to give up a much loved pet for financial reasons.

Fleurpepper Sun 21-Aug-22 16:41:53

Record numbers of dogs are given up by recent owners- they got them to amuse the family during Covid, and now no longer interested. And costs rising and budgets exploding. How sad.

Greciangirl Sun 21-Aug-22 16:32:50

Yes, complete lack of training on owners part.

I think owning a dog nowadays Is a luxury.
Insurance, food, grooming. etc.

There are so many irresponsible dog owners around.
Most of them shouldn’t be in charge of a dog.

Debbi58 Sun 21-Aug-22 15:09:20

I have a jack Russell, she barks occasionally I our garden, if she can hear the neighbours behind our bungalow chatting in their garden. She's taken in immediately, nothing worse than a neighbours dog barking whilst your chilling in your garden

CV2020 Sun 21-Aug-22 15:03:13

I live next door to four incessant barking dogs. It drives me insane! Our house missives only allow each house to have two dogs! Doesn’t make any difference. One day I’ll snap and report them!

Wetnosewheatie Sun 21-Aug-22 14:44:13

I have a fox terrier. It barks. At the wind and the reverb off our fence from the motorway but also when the kids next door kick the ball against the fence and the little dogs next door start. I now only let her out nighttime on a long lead before bed so I can drag her in if she starts. I’ve tried the treat training to get her to stop but she id a little reluctant. If I’m in the garden and and she’s off on one I fo my best to get her to stop. Thankfully we are not overlooked but neighbours nearby can hear her.

Glorianny Sun 21-Aug-22 13:56:50

There's a cafe near me known to be dog friendly all the local dog owners gather there for coffee. It's dreadful! If you want a quiet chat deffo not the place to be. What I don't understand is how the owners manage just to keep on chatting while their dog and a few others bark in chorus.

icanhandthemback Sun 21-Aug-22 13:42:38

Why is it the little dogs are the most noisiest?

Small man syndrome? grin

Just joking!

GraceQuirrel Sun 21-Aug-22 13:41:53

I now own a yappy dog after having three that didn’t. I suppose it was bound to happen in the end. She hears everything, from cats, rats, children, leaves, wind, anything. But my partner and I are up off the sofa and dealing with it straight away. I couldn’t bear to listen to it or think of it annoying the neighbours. In fact we have spoken to the neighbours and apologised if they find it annoying but they both know we don’t just let her get on with it.

GraceQuirrel Sun 21-Aug-22 13:33:04

BigBertha1

Lots of people here with yappy dogs on long leads that wrap round everybody s legs. They let them pee on your garden as they wander off up the road on their long lead. I rarely see a well behaved dog here. I do love a well trained dog but it's rare to see sadly.

It’s not the dog that needs training it’s the owners.

swampygirl58 Sun 21-Aug-22 13:05:36

There are three dogs close by me that bark all the time - or I should say 'Yap', two opposite me and the third behind me. The three 'little rats' are not capable of being outside without yapping. The owners must hear their dog unless they are deaf. It's very annoying and inconsiderate. Why is it the little dogs are the most noisiest?

TanaMa Sun 21-Aug-22 12:56:03

As I live alone in an isolated area my dogs bark to alert me to anyone coming through the gate at the bottom of my long drive - this gives me time to lock my door until I can check out who is calling. If at night they will bark if anyone comes to the door. Other than that they don't bark. Luckily I don't have near neighbours so don't get bothered by their dogs.

Pippa22 Sun 21-Aug-22 12:41:59

I think a large minority of dog owners are selfish and expect others to love everything about their babies. From incessant barking to allowing their dogs to jump up on you or hump your leg to leaving steaming piles of **it in parks or abandoning poo bags all over lovely public places.

I have decided there are too many horrible , entitled dog owners and they really need to change.

I know in response I will get messages from people whose dog would never do any of the above, whose dog is perfect and loved by everyone but there are many who are blinkered to the reality.

Shelflife Sun 21-Aug-22 12:36:57

Dogs that constantly bark , long extendable leads …..... Grrrrr!!!! People don't appear to train their dogs, what happened to ' walking to heel' ' sit, stay . Surely this makes for a happier dog ! teaching obedience and good manners is a must. Our neighbours are out working all day, leaving the poor dog home alone. At 5.30pm they return and let the dog out, it goes completely mad , racing round the garden and barking almost constantly till they call it on at about 9.30pm!! It's a nightmare for the dog and neighbours. Why have a dog under these circumstances!? It beggers belief.

Merryweather Sun 21-Aug-22 12:34:26

Ex vet nurse here. I've seen all sorts over the years, but this drives me bonkers. When I moved here 10 years ago the neighbour on one side had two mixed-breed large dogs. They were not walked or trained at all. The owners were too stoned to take them out. The children were ’interesting’ too. As soon as they moved the neighbour on the other side got an English bulldog - apparently, they are a non-barking breed. Then her boyfriend moved in with his son, and another dog appeared. The barking has not stopped in ten years. The housing association nor our council give two hoots. We have to live with it. Even the escaping.
There's no such thing as a bad dog. Only inappropriate owners with an idealised un- researched and un- insured version of dog ownership.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sun 21-Aug-22 12:25:32

I think some types of dig are more prone to barking than others.

Someone near us has what sounds like a terrier which yaps a lot, and I have to confess to finding high pitched yapping more annoying than the sound of a deeper bark.

There are 2 labs a few doors away who are left out in their small front garden (with secure high metal fencing) who only occasionally bark, and in fact are useful when I've left my motorbike out on the drive as I can keep an ear out for possible tampering with the bike occurring!

We used to have a pair of Dobermen, who rarely barked, only if there were possible intruders so if they did, we certainly paid attention. The dog was trained to bark softly, on the command of 'speak'.

But I guess the level of success in controlling dog barking will be influenced by the dog's breed and nature, not solely by the owner.

MayBee70 Sun 21-Aug-22 12:20:51

I have whippets who very rarely bark. But my daughter has a Miniature Schnauzer: a breed that is renowned for barking. A lot. And it’s a very irritating bark. Thankfully hers isn’t too barky and doesn’t bark at other dogs when she’s out walking like some do. I had a Spaniel that was very yappy : quite unusual for the breed and it drove me mad. And my first Spaniel developed doggy dementia and started barking, especially at night. The vet gave her Valium. I can remember him saying to me’ it’s for the dog NOT YOU’ as I left the surgery. It didn’t work, but made her even more confused. I had young children at the time and it was exhausting.

Lauren59 Sun 21-Aug-22 12:14:19

I have a golden retriever that doesn’t bark except he sees other dogs passing the house. He seems to think it’s his job to keep them on their toes. I now keep the front door closed so he has nothing to bark at. I don’t know how people can live with constant yapping—it would drive me batty.

micmc47 Sun 21-Aug-22 12:10:29

Sadly, more often than not, it's the owners who need training. We have two pooches, both of which bark briefly when someone rings the doorbell or when the window-cleaners wander into the garden. However, they stop on command, and are only doing what they see as protecting their patch. Fine by me.

Gardendisy Sun 21-Aug-22 11:53:28

All I can say is you might remember me from last year I live next door to a lady that breeds and shows dogs. She had a friend that does the same. They are staying together at the moment next door. I have counted eleven dogs. Continual barking all day. One throws itself at the fence and growls ferociously when my two little Cairn terriers go out in my garden. I want to scream sometimes.

leeds22 Sun 21-Aug-22 11:51:25

Went shopping yesterday and in Waterstone's I had to ask (politely) a women to move her dog which was blocking the aisle, she did apologise. In a shoe shop, a man was sat with his wife, holding the lead of a small lab, which was also blocking the aisle, I looked at him and he at me but he made no attempt to rein in his precious mutt.
I used to live next door to 2 Jack Russells that barked and howled constantly when the owner was out and when in the garden growled and bared their teeth when they saw me. I was glad to move.
I like dogs but am constantly amazed at the thoughtlessness of some owners.

icanhandthemback Sun 21-Aug-22 11:42:11

We are getting a new puppy in the next few days and as we sat listening to the tv, we could hear several dogs barking throughout the evening. Our last dog would be brought straight back in if he started barking because we hated the thought of my dog upsetting the neighbours. In fact, he was so quiet that one day when my sister's dog kept barking when she was here, the neighbours came round to see if I was ok because they knew I would not let my dog bark so much if I was able to stop him. I was so embarrassed. I am intending on working with positive reward training on my new pup from the day it joins us that barking at all and sundry is not acceptable. I've got my clicker at the ready!