Gransnet forums

Pets

Labrador with ulcers on elbows

(11 Posts)
Mazgg Sat 05-Nov-22 17:38:53

My 11/12 year old Labrador has developed ulcers on her elbows.
They started as callouses which she licked constantly then developed into ulcers which look really sore. I took her to the vet who said they were clean but prescribed antibiotics 'as belt and braces' and advised leaving them uncovered and go back in a week.
It seemed to start a couple of weeks after being in kennels. I have hard floors with rugs and she has a good dog bed but seems to prefer lying on the hard floor for some reason.
I have had many dogs during my lifetime (80 years) and this is the first time I have experienced this.

25Avalon Sat 05-Nov-22 17:53:01

You could make a turmeric paste and apply that. It is very good for allergies and won’t hurt if the dog licks it. Google golden turmeric paste for the recipe.

Prentice Sat 05-Nov-22 18:24:22

I think Labradors are prone to this, we had two of these dogs in the past and both suffered with them.

Iam64 Sat 05-Nov-22 18:25:11

Yes sadly, it’s a lab thing.

Curlywhirly Sat 05-Nov-22 22:08:20

Our labrador (she's 12 tomorrow) has had very sore-looking elbows for about the last 6 years. Vets over the years have prescribed all sorts of remedies, none of which worked. As long as the skin is supple and not dried out, all seems to be ok. She has never tried to lick her elbows, but does scratch them. If they are getting dry I just rub some moisturiser on them (I use a children's moisturiser (and make sure it doesn't have zinc in it - on the vet's advice).

AussieGran59 Sat 05-Nov-22 22:31:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MayBee70 Sat 05-Nov-22 23:17:18

I keep getting adverts on Facebook for various pills and potions that help if your dog is constantly scratching or licking it’s paws etc. ( I’m getting them because my dog has a couple of lumps that need checking out so I’m googling dog stuff). One of my dogs had a cut on a back leg that she kept licking after it had been stitched and the vet said it had become granulated. So you might need to find a way of getting your dog to break the habit of licking. I was only thinking the other day that every time I have a new dog and think I’m doing everything right this time they develop a problem I’ve not experienced before. The current one being cysts on her head and neck ( at least I’m hoping they’re cysts: I’ve been told her mum was prone to them). I’ll have a look for the name of one of the things I’m thinking of sending away for….

MayBee70 Sat 05-Nov-22 23:18:28

It was called NutriPaw…

Mazgg Sun 06-Nov-22 12:42:00

Thank you all for your kind comments. I am seeing the vet again on Tuesday .

MayBee70 Sun 06-Nov-22 13:59:14

I very rarely see the same vet more than once or twice these days. Years ago I saw the same vet for decades but now it just seems to be young vets with little experience. I’m thinking of going to a nearby one man practice because he has years of experience but the downside is he doesn’t have all of the new expensive equipment that the big practices now have.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 07-Nov-22 12:28:47

I use unsalted pork fat for chapped paws due to salt on winter pavements and other skin conditions, but don't use it on my say-so, without checking first with your vet.

I think a lot of older dogs develop this condition and some cats do too.