Gransnet forums

Pets

Dog's runny poo

(36 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Tue 10-Jan-23 22:40:44

My dog poos about 5 or 6 times a day, which I think is a lot. Her first poo is usually quite firm, but then after that it's really yellow and runny and sometimes even diahorrea. This has been going on for a while and I don't think it's normal. I've booked an appointment with the vet, but just wondering what other dog owners think. Apart from that she's healthy, extremely energetic and seems absolutely fine. Thank you.

OnwardandUpward Fri 13-Jan-23 19:01:42

My dog loves the lamb version of Natures variety. It's 80% meat and 20% veg. We don't feed her carbs.

MayBee70 Thu 12-Jan-23 18:47:12

Norah

nanna8

Strewth- I was just having cereal for breakfast ….

Our dogs are walked 4 times a day, generally they poo 3 times. When they get runny poo, we cook, feed them rice and lamb.

I was told years ago that no dogs are allergic to lamb although they might be allergic to other things. I’d forgotten that. It was when I used to feed them Eukanuba.

Tizliz Thu 12-Jan-23 17:37:12

including the starchy rice water

I didn’t know this until recently, the starchy water is very important

Caleo Thu 12-Jan-23 13:58:17

Chardy, I think it was Hill's Prescription Diet my GSD got and it was completely successful.

Norah Wed 11-Jan-23 22:07:23

timetogo2016

Has your dog been reading Spare?.

You win the internet! grin grin grin

MayBee70 Wed 11-Jan-23 21:58:37

Another thought. Do you exercise her soon after she’s been fed? I have to be careful with mine because she’s so fast when she dies zoomies so I have to make sure she’s digested her breakfast.

Quokka Wed 11-Jan-23 21:23:33

Sorry if this has already been suggested but have you tried probiotics?

timetogo2016 Wed 11-Jan-23 21:23:08

Has your dog been reading Spare?.

Norah Wed 11-Jan-23 21:17:35

No idea why the quote, sorry nanna8.

Norah Wed 11-Jan-23 21:15:59

nanna8

Strewth- I was just having cereal for breakfast ….

Our dogs are walked 4 times a day, generally they poo 3 times. When they get runny poo, we cook, feed them rice and lamb.

Iam64 Wed 11-Jan-23 20:05:08

I had a rescue with awful gastric trouble. Once we had him settled on ProColin, boiled white rice n fish, we gradually moved him onto tinned Chappie as recommended by the vet.
I keep procolin in and of frozen white fish. As recommended by the vet, I boil plain white rice - over cook, serve with boiled white fish, including the starchy rice water.

saltnshake Wed 11-Jan-23 19:48:30

Do you give your dog dental chews? Our previous dog was quite happy with them but they go straight through our latest dog. Apparently the formula/recipe has changed in the last couple of years. Another thing to consider, if your dog is doing a lot of poo maybe you are feeding it too much, just a thought. Our vet is very hot on keeping dogs weight down and every dog is weighed on every visit. Our dog automatically hangs a left onto the scales, sits and waits for the treat that follows.

Chardy Wed 11-Jan-23 19:37:24

I've always been sceptical about expensive pet food, until we had a dog with a gippy stomach. We belong to a big vet surgery/hospital, so we saw a different vet every time we took a cat/dog in.
Eventually one vet asked if we'd tried Hill's Prescription Diet z/d Food Sensitivities Dry Dog Food. Oh wow. Wonderful stuff. Cannot recommend highly enough.

OnwardandUpward Wed 11-Jan-23 18:52:11

It would be a good idea to see a vet incase it's anal leakage and your dog needs it's anal glands expressed.

Do you give your dog vegetables? My dog is the most healthy on Natures Select dog food and a selection of fruits, veg and meat which I prepare for her. If you are able to incorporate plenty of fibre into your dog's diet it will be less likely to get blocked anal glands and will be healthier.

(You can get high fibre dog food but our dog refuses to eat it.) We keep her diet close to nature (meat and veg, plus the odd bit of fruit and mostly she's fine these days)

She does get the odd runny poo if she's stolen cat food because it goes through them too quickly due to the cat food being designed for an animal with different metabolism. If you have other types of animal, try to make sure your dog is not stealing their food.

BlueBelle Wed 11-Jan-23 18:38:03

Oh my word that was a pretty awful title

grannyrebel7 Wed 11-Jan-23 18:35:44

I've tried Pro Colin and it didn't make much difference. I put her on chicken as I thought it was the Pedigree wet food that might be causing it. Chappie sounds like a good option, but I'll wait to see what the vet says. Appointment is next week. I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks for all your help xx

Alioop Wed 11-Jan-23 17:26:55

I'm another fan of Pro Kolin and keep one in the fridge at all times just in case. It's cheaper online, I got the large one for the price of the small at the vets. It's best getting the dog checked with the vet though as that's a lot of 💩. Good luck, hope you both get sorted.

MayBee70 Wed 11-Jan-23 17:05:19

A lot of dogs are allergic to chicken. We have to dremel our dogs claws on a regular basis and give her a treat of chicken afterwards ( she hates having it done but runs straight to the fridge afterwards) and doesn’t even chew it. Last night I cut the chicken up into tiny pieces and gave her much less. I don’t know if there is a link between gobbling the chicken and having a bad tum but I’m going to keep a record of when it happens. I keep Protexin powder in stock as well. When she did puppy training the trainer gave them liver cake and advised to give them Protexin with it. I noticed that he gave one dog liver cake in dogs behaving badly the other night: dogs love it. As the trainer pointed out, it’s not my training that’s making them do as they’re told, it’s the liver cake! It’s horrible to make, though! When she had a bad bout of diahorrea as a youngster I put her on Royal Canin gastrointestinal foot ( both tinned and kibble) for several weeks. I think vets sometimes recommend pre and post operation. But Chappie does seem to be pretty good, too.

Oldbat1 Wed 11-Jan-23 16:28:04

Prokolin is always worth keeping in. I also keep a bottle of Oralade in. It helps aid recovery. Costs about £8. Check with your vet but I’ve used human Imodium in an emergency. Chappie original in a tin is always worth keeping in. Hope your dog feels better soon. Seem to remember a spoon of live yoghurt being advised by vet too.

Caleo Wed 11-Jan-23 10:14:04

My pure bred German shepherd had colitis all her life and was prescribed special kibble diet by the vet. This sorted the problem however she was on the diet for the rest of her long life. She was insured by a very good insurer, one of the big more expensive insurers who did not raise any objections, and they paid the difference between the expensive diet kibble and ordinary kibble.

Daddima Wed 11-Jan-23 10:11:36

We used to feed our dog chicken boiled with rice, but the vet suggested Chappie dog food. We found it completely cured the problem, as did our son when he used it for his dogs.

MayBee70 Wed 11-Jan-23 10:04:55

I buy pro kolin from a chemist. Or from Pet Drugs online. It’s cheaper than getting it from the vet.

MayBee70 Wed 11-Jan-23 10:03:07

I always keep pro kolin in stock. Mine gets bouts of diahorrea and I’ve never been able to pinpoint what causes it. I used to buy large bags of kibble though because it’s more economical. I recently read that it doesn’t keep for long once opened so I’m wondering if it’s the kibble that’s causing it. She only has a bit for supper so the bag lasts for ages. I now buy small bags. I’ve started giving her a probiotic occasionally, too. And I keep some tins of Royal Canin gastrointestinal food in stock. Whippets are prone to having sensitive tummies. You can add slippery elm to their food, too, although I’ve never tried that.

Smileless2012 Wed 11-Jan-23 09:45:50

You do need to keep her appointment with the vet grannyrebel to make sure it's nothing untoward.

Our little poodle is very prone to this so we always have some YuMOVE Digestive Care sachets and use as directed. Just one dose, sprinkled in his food usually does job although sometimes it takes two.

grannyrebel7 Wed 11-Jan-23 09:38:58

Thanks for the comments everyone. Sorry if I put anyone off their breakfast! Not being the squeamish type I didn't think. Will look into giardia Maybee70