Gransnet forums

Pets

Pet sheep

(12 Posts)
sodapop Sat 25-Feb-23 13:11:22

Our pet sheep Dolly died during the night, she had been ill for a few days. We had her as an orphan with her sister at three days old, that was 15 years ago.
It's strange how one can become attached to a sheep isn't it. Dolly was a real character and used to head butt the dogs if they went in her field. We will miss her.

Aveline Sat 25-Feb-23 13:13:23

Awww. So sorry to hear this. Animals have such a way of worming their way into our hearts. flowers

Casdon Sat 25-Feb-23 13:13:32

That’s an excellent age for a sheep sodapop, my cousin had two pet sheep, they were characters too, but they didn’t live that long. RIP Dolly.

JaneJudge Sat 25-Feb-23 13:17:40

awww smile I love sheep, you will miss her. RIP Dolly flowers

ginny Sat 25-Feb-23 13:18:47

Sorry to hear this. Yes, animals can soon become part of the family , even sheep.💐

SueDonim Sat 25-Feb-23 13:27:07

Oh, that’s sad, Sodapop! flowers. A friend has three or four sheep - long story as to how they acquired them! - and they are much loved pets, each with its own character and even with preferences as to who is their favourite human. They’re most endearing. ❤️

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 25-Feb-23 13:39:52

I’m so sorry Sodapop. She was loved and of course you are sad. She’s no longer suffering. She had a wonderful life with you. Thank you for sharing her story with us. 💐

Fleurpepper Sat 25-Feb-23 14:02:23

So sorry to hear. But 15, wow, that is a good age. Well done you for giving her a loving home. I know some don't understand how losing a beloved pet can really affect you.

We have 2 meadows attached to this old house and the farmer suggested we should keep a few sheep. From lamb at Easter, to ... in the autumn. But I can't be trusted, as I know they would have names, play, cuddles.. and would stay forever as pets.

hugs

sodapop Sat 25-Feb-23 17:02:30

Thanks everyone, Dolly will be missed but I can imagine her up in the great blue yonder giving our two dogs a good head butt. RIP Dolly.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 26-Feb-23 11:51:41

I was very friendly with a ram when I was a child, so I fully understand that you became attached to your sheep, It is so hard losing any animal we have become close to.

Peter the ram wasn't mine - he belonged to a local farmer and had started life as a pet lamb,hand-reared by the farmer's mother.

Grown up, the ram adapted happily to life with the flock, but now and again left them and walked down to the farm, butted open the door to the scullery, and went in and begged for his old feeding bottle!

Mrs X filled it with water and he sucked contentedly.

Can you picture a full grown ram with beautiful curly horns drinking water through a teat on an old lemonade bottle?

He was the nicest natured ram I have ever met.

sodapop Sun 26-Feb-23 12:32:30

Lovely story grandtanteJE65

ParlorGames Sun 26-Feb-23 12:35:58

That is so sad soda, I am sure you gave her a lovely home.