Gransnet forums

Pets

Covid Cat Cull

(21 Posts)
LadyHonoriaDedlock Thu 02-Mar-23 13:46:17

Did you see that story that emerged yesterday about how in the early days of of Covid some clown in the Government came up with the idea of exterminating all pet cats to prevent the spread of the virus?

www.theguardian.com/world/2023/mar/01/uk-cat-cull-was-considered-early-in-covid-crisis-ex-minister-says

They'd have to cull me first to have any chance of getting to my two furry troublemakers.

It's a good job Larry didn't hear about this or I'm sure he would have arranged to do a big smelly poo on the cabinet table.

Smileless2012 Thu 02-Mar-23 13:49:43

It would have been over my dead body too LHD.

AGAA4 Thu 02-Mar-23 14:14:14

I remember that. My DD was outraged and so was her cat.

Zoejory Thu 02-Mar-23 14:22:20

Denmark culled 17 million minks. An act which was later deemed illegal

The whole world was in a state of panic

I don't think the discussion of a cat cull was made public at the time.

It wouldn't have happened

halfpint1 Thu 02-Mar-23 14:27:00

Life was miserable enough at that time, it could have done even more harm.

AGAA4 Thu 02-Mar-23 14:38:35

It must have been leaked at the time but it was a non starter as they would have had to hurt people to get at their cats. Another mad idea.

Visgir1 Thu 02-Mar-23 15:18:56

Crazy idea.. If true?
Apart from getting owners to serender their animals.. (Over my dead body too) , think of the economic side, the Pet cat industry would collapse, that's not to be sniffed at.
More importantly didn't they try that centuries ago? Consequently we then had the Plague?

What a lot of tosh!

Calipso Thu 02-Mar-23 15:33:04

I think it's easy to forget just what a strange time it was to live through and no doubt all kinds of measures were considered which in hindsight would have been of no use whatsoever. It was an unprecedented situation: I remember being deeply shocked when lockdown measures were announced.
That said, NO ONE would have got near my beloved cats.
Over my dead body indeed.

AGAA4 Thu 02-Mar-23 16:40:43

I think Larry put that to rest when he decided culling politicians would be a better option.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Thu 02-Mar-23 16:41:19

AGAA4

I think Larry put that to rest when he decided culling politicians would be a better option.

Haha! Good one

SueDonim Thu 02-Mar-23 18:43:06

I am now visualising a Man from the Ministry trying to wrench Mrs Slocombe’s Pussy from her arms. 😳😳😳

Blondiescot Thu 02-Mar-23 18:45:01

AGAA4

Larry had the right idea...

GagaJo Thu 02-Mar-23 18:48:09

Just think the risk the idiot party goers at No.10 put poor Larry in. All those illegal soirees.

Poppyjo Thu 02-Mar-23 18:58:48

Me too. How dare they? My cats are my life. Best medicine for depression. I think the army of cat lovers would have won the war 😆

grandtanteJE65 Mon 06-Mar-23 13:18:52

At the time, there was doubt as to whether cats could catch covid and infect humans, and the doubt was not only raised in Britain.

If it had been proved to be the case, presumably cat owners would have been given the option of keeping their cats indoors as is done during th attacks of avian flu with all domestic poultry.

But it would entirely have depended on how serious the threat of infection had proved to be.

During outbreaks of foot and mouth disease, all animals including cats and dogs are destroyed on the infected farms, and any animal that contracts rabies must, by law, be put down immediately.

We can all be glad that the threat either proved to be non-existent or far less serious than thought to start of with and that we were not faced with an enforced decision to have our pets put down.

Vintagenonna Mon 06-Mar-23 13:24:46

Has anyone seen Larry recently??

FannyCornforth Mon 06-Mar-23 13:31:31

Don’t worry VN, he’s fine.
Here is a nice (and recent) about the First Cat
www.npr.org/2023/02/16/1157507569/larry-cat-no-10-downing-street-british

Grantanow Mon 06-Mar-23 13:37:14

I think Larry ought to be in charge of the Covid public enquiry! That might give some politicians pause(!).

Calipso Mon 06-Mar-23 13:59:08

GagaJo

Just think the risk the idiot party goers at No.10 put poor Larry in. All those illegal soirees.

I'd heard that they were Larry's idea in the first place.......

LadyHonoriaDedlock Mon 06-Mar-23 14:06:32

I often worry about Larry as he knows everything that goes on in Downing Street and he has yet to secure a deal for his memoirs.

FannyCornforth Mon 06-Mar-23 14:28:00

That is the most fabulous idea LadyH
Craig Brown should be Larry’s ghost writer