Gransnet forums

Pets

Gum redness/inflammation !

(12 Posts)
Dazy Wed 26-Aug-26 00:03:35

Hello everyone. Advice needed from fellow cat owners.
Annual vet check up yesterday. Was shocked to hear him suggesting I bring her in to have plaque removed under GA for £700! To be repeated annually and it's not covered by the insurance!
I'm in a panic as I did try brushing her teeth with a finger brush last year but she wouldn't let me, so I resorted to Canagan Dental diet.
It's a thin red line on her gums around the teeth. She's 5 and a Persian chinchilla. Eats mostly dry but a heaped tsp of wet per day.

Any tips or advice?
Thank you

Madmeg Wed 26-Aug-26 01:18:54

Abt 20 years ago our very old cat (c 18) had this problem and I recall that it cost a few hundred to have his teeth cleaned, so I'm afraid £700 sounds about right. Unfortunately he died a years later so no idea if he would have needed to have the treatment repeated.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 26-Aug-26 01:26:27

If dental hygiene is neglected your cat will suffer discomfort and loss of teeth.

Vet fees are ridiculous, and need looking into, but in the meantime we have to pay😡😡

lovethepuppies Wed 26-Aug-26 23:25:00

There is something you can put in their water that helps with their teeth. If your cat's teeth have progressed to this place though, the dental is really important as a first step. My dogs have them as needed, rather than yearly.

Dazy Fri 28-Aug-26 10:31:13

Thanks everyone.

I'm really going to have to try to stick a finger in there and have a go. Terrifying!
lovethepuppies I'll look into it , thank you

Gwyllt Fri 28-Aug-26 16:17:27

I use plaque for dogs. Wondering if there is a cat version. Just sprinkle on food. Both got lovely teeth. Including the 11 year old whom at one time her teeth looked decidedly grubby before I started. Used to get Plaque off don’t know if it’s same product. Vet very positive about condition of teeth. Surely there must be a cat version in in bio

Gwyllt Fri 28-Aug-26 16:21:55

Just liked there on net there a number of makes. Worth a try. Not particularly cheap but nothing like the vet bill you are talking about

Chocolatenoodle8 Sat 29-Aug-26 14:52:23

When our cats were kittens, our Vet suggested giving them Hills Dental Bites every day to keep their teeth clean. We give them each six + four Dreamies at 12.30pm every day. They are now 10yo. They saw the Vet last week who pronounced their teeth as perfect.

Esmay Sat 29-Aug-26 17:39:19

I'm very hands - on with cats and dogs and I persevere with routines such as teeth brushing.
They get used to it .
Dogs are easier than cats though.
When your cat is calm and has just eaten try again after stroking and petting .
Good luck .

AuntieE Sun 30-Aug-26 11:03:42

Plaque varies greatly in cats as in humans. If it gets too bad it will cause health problem for an elderly cat. So really only a vet can advise.

Some cats clean their won teeth - my pair of (young adult) cats have such beautiful teeth that the vet commented on it. I told him that the one cleans her teeth by biting off bits of cardboard boxes and spitting them out again on the kitchen floor, and that I have previously had a cat or two who did the same. Others don't but you could try offering yours a cardboard box to lie in and see if the edges are bitten.

The other cat apparently brushes his teeth on mouse-skins while devouring his prey - which of couse requites frequent de worming.

In your case, I suggest you ask a couple of other vets what their charges for cleaning cats' teeth are.

AuntieE Sun 30-Aug-26 11:04:59

Sorry, I clicked send insted of preview by mistake.

Nana29 Tue 01-Sept-26 11:42:35

I give my cat Plaque Off daily and the vet says her teeth are good.