Gransnet forums

Pets

ancient cat with matted fur

(19 Posts)
eddiecat78 Wed 07-Jun-17 20:44:42

My 18 year old tabby has always groomed himself beautifully - but has now stopped! His fur is already becomming matted and he`s not happy about me brushing him - I suspect he`s getting quite a few aches and pains and brushing hurts him - and he`s an absolute devil when he`s not happy ( I have the scars to prove it).

Any ideas? He`s basically a farm cat and has only been to the vet once in his life so I wouldn`t want to go down that route.

Willow500 Wed 07-Jun-17 20:56:20

Is he drinking more than normal? I've had several cats who have got to that great age and a couple of them have stopped grooming themselves when they were ill with kidney problems. Although he's difficult to get to the vets (I know that problem only too well) I really would try to get him there for a blood test to rule out anything like that. It could just be he's old and a bit arthritic but could be an underlying health problem.

notnecessarilywiser Wed 07-Jun-17 21:52:01

Is there a local vet that will visit your boy at your home? If you're within the M25 south of London I can give you a great recommendation. Mine have recently had vet attention and are enjoying life again.

Nelliemoser Wed 07-Jun-17 22:35:44

As an elderly cat in pain and not particularly friendly I do wonder if putting him through a grooming session would be so dreadfully stressful it might be kinder not to try.
Is it time to let him go gently?

ninathenana Thu 08-Jun-17 00:02:20

The majority of vets do home visits but they are not cheap.

Will he let you look in his mouth ? It's possible he has a sore mouth or rotten teeth if he's old and not seen a vet regularly. This would make him reluctant to groom. Have you noticed him having any problems with eating ?
Also the possible arthritis you mention would mean he struggles to get to some areas of his body.

eddiecat78 Thu 08-Jun-17 08:03:50

He is still eating and drinking as normal - still catching and eating mice!

I think I will just have to try grooming him little and often

Purpledaffodil Thu 08-Jun-17 08:24:57

Friend volunteers for the Cats Protection League and often takes cats to the vet for a shave under sedation. Perhaps it would be worth the trauma of a visit to have possible health problems ruled out at the same time?
DD's cats are very long haired and get matted under their legs. They have a visit to a dog groomers occasionally, after hours when there are no dogs there. They are put in a special harness and fed cat treats, so they almost enjoy the experience. Almost grin

grandtanteJE65 Sun 23-Jul-17 11:00:38

Matted fur can be a sign of kidney problems and that the end is in sight. But it could be something trivial that can be cured.

Basically, you are in the horrible position of having to decide whether to annoy him by consulting a vet, well knowing that you may be forced into the decision none of us ever want to take, or to leave well alone, as long as he still seems to be enjoying his life. You didn't say, but I take it he is still eating, drinking, peeing and doing his jobs as normal.

My experience with old cats is that both you and they know when life is no longer fun for them, two of mine the one 16 the other 10 turned overnight into apathetic creatures who were obviously dying. The vet confirmed kidney failure in the one and diabetes in the other, so I saw my painful duty clearly.

Try not to worry too much, just enjoy the remaining time with your old puss.

LadyGracie Sun 23-Jul-17 12:03:43

My neighbour had a mobile groomer come to the house in a van, the back of the van was done out as an amazing grooming parlour, I quite fancied a groom myself!

rosesarered Sun 23-Jul-17 17:37:26

Agree with others,we have always had cats and most in old age have had kidney
Problems with matted fur a sign of it.They lose all interest in grooming, as we would ourselves! 18 is a good long life for a cat.

eddiecat78 Sun 23-Jul-17 18:27:36

As an update - I took my life in my hands and cut off some of the worst matted bits and since then he hasn`t been too bad - I try to brush him most days.
Today he has been stalking young moor hens so he can`t be feeling too bad!

rosesarered Sun 23-Jul-17 20:15:13

Sounds like a go-er eddie grin

Faye Mon 24-Jul-17 05:00:08

Our family cat was like this, matted fur, very thin though he ate a lot. He lived with DD and SIL and I mentioned he might need to be put down. DD and SIL wouldn't have it until he was killing a bird and SIL threw an empty aluminium can at him to distract him but not hurt him. SIL said he hadn't thrown it hard but the cat was injured. They immediately took him to the vet and were told they should have brought him in much earlier as he was so old, his bones were brittle and he would have been suffering. Also the over eating was an indication something was wrong. Poor old thing. sad

jura2 Sun 22-Oct-17 19:24:11

Pudding is 25, and she is also not so good at grooming now. My neighbour helped me cut off the biggest 'dreads' off her tummy- and now I groom her by hand every morning to mantain- and it works fine. Any lump is gently pulled off if thin and small, others I tease gently and pull off extra hair. On a daily basis is fine. She is happy, purrs and purrs like a trooper and eats well, but now drinks more than she used to. At the very first sign of her beig unhappy - she will be gently put to sleep at home. All our pets go to sleep at home - the extra cost is so worth it.

Alima Sun 22-Oct-17 19:37:37

Jura, what a wonderful age for a cat.

MawBroon Sun 22-Oct-17 21:03:05

I so agree with your final sentence jura bis
I believe I paid an extra£80 to call the vet out to Gracie for the final goodbye but she had NO idea of what was going on and frankly I would have been a liability trying to drive her over and back without her.
If I say she fell asleep on her bed being cuddled what better end could she have had? Kinder to me too - big hugs from lovely vet Libby and the vet nurse. I stroked her for a while, then they sent me into our sitting room while they wrapped her up gently in a big blanket.
No fear, no stress, no pain.
Of course I hope that day does not come for anybody’s fur friend for LONG time, but being realistic is kinder than hoping an animal will just fade away on its own. You never know whether it is in distress or not and we would spare them that at all costs.

Charleygirl Sun 22-Oct-17 21:52:11

Sometimes a cat's loud purring can mean that it is distressed.

Nelliemoser Mon 23-Oct-17 13:56:39

Remember this?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=q64aiyMplWQ

MawBroon Mon 23-Oct-17 13:59:50

gringrin
I trust no fur hats were harmed in the making of that video?