Gransnet forums

Pets

House flea spray

(8 Posts)
watermeadow Tue 15-Sep-20 18:02:21

I treat my cat and dog every 4 weeks with Advantage but dog is scratching only a fortnight after last treatment. I know this is the worst time of year so ordered Indorex household spray.
Used it before and it works well BUT after spraying you have to Hoover the entire house everyday for a week.
I can barely carry the Hoover upstairs and doing the whole (small) house exhausts me. Has anyone used this then skimped on the Hoovering? Did it still work?

Dorsetcupcake61 Tue 15-Sep-20 19:33:51

I will be absolutely honest I used it and found it to be useless. About 5 years ago I forgot to use Advantage and bought a flea collar for my cat. They jumped off her and onto everything else. It was a horrendous few weeks which I try to forget. I was hoovering and spraying Indorex everywhere. I also invested in one of those flea traps where they are drawn to the heat of the light. I became an expert on the blighters,and to be honest it was a mega year for them. Eventually I contacted the local council and got them to spray the house. Problem sorted.

FannyCornforth Tue 15-Sep-20 20:15:03

Hi. You need to get a vet treatment.
The fleas don't respond to advantage now.

FannyCornforth Tue 15-Sep-20 20:20:59

Sorry, just read your post properly.
I don't think that it will matter if you skimp on the hoovering. The indorex will have killed the fleas and eggs.
In the meantime look for light weight vacuum cleaners so that you don't have to lug it about.

Framilode Tue 15-Sep-20 20:55:04

#Advantage and Front Line stopped working for us. We use Nexgard from the vet which is one tablet every month. It also worms the dog.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Sep-20 21:02:27

Between the demise of our last cat and dog and us getting a new puppy, we went on holiday and as I left the house I sprayed every room with Indorex.

Our puppy is now 11 years old and has never had a flea. We have never treated him either, on a regular basis. We do extremely infrequently treat him for worms.

Fennel Wed 16-Sep-20 17:56:03

When we lived in France we twice had a flea infestation. They had moved into the soft furnishings etc. Visitors wouldn't come into the house.
The first time we burnt all the floor mats.
The second time we used a 'bombe' - you set it off at bed time in the infected room then clear out the pets, close all the room doors and go to bed.
I can't remember the name of it but it worked.
Horrible things.

tattynan Fri 18-Sep-20 15:50:01

I have just bought a gtech k9 vacuum cleaner. It’s cordless and easy to carry. Designed for pet hair etc. I’m having trouble with cat bringing fleas into house. She gets flea treatment every month and I’ve sprayed house with RIP flea from vets. I groomed her today and found a couple of fleas. I don’t know where she’s getting them from but lots of cats pass through our garden so could be passing them to each other.