Gransnet forums

Pets

Wobbly Kong

(13 Posts)
Alexa Tue 23-Feb-21 09:49:18

Can anyone please recommend small dry treats that can come out of the hole of a small dog size wobbly Kong?

My little dog has learned to use his wobbly Kong for his breakfast kibbles, which he enjoys,and I think he would enjoy the Kong for treats when he is due to get treats.

Mollybest1 Mon 01-Mar-21 12:11:00

Doggy chocolate buttons ( you can break them up if they are too big ) or dog peanut butter.

Alexa Tue 02-Mar-21 10:47:22

Thanks Molly1 I recently adopted my dog from a friend who could not keep him and I did not expect him to be happy to eat complete kibble. He has been very well brought up. The small dog size kibble goes through the feeding hole of the Kong and he quickly learned to feed himself from wobbling it around the downstairs rooms. Great things these Kongs for keeping dogs entertained! Do you have a dog Molly?

Sarnia Tue 02-Mar-21 11:03:19

Our dog loves Primula cheese squirted from a tube topped with a sprat in his wobbly Kong. Not a combination I intend trying any time soon but it keeps him entertained for quite a while.

25Avalon Tue 02-Mar-21 11:08:29

Alexa you can buy packs of different small doggy treats so that you can mix what goes in the Kong. Hard cheese is also good. You could put Yoghourt or water in and freeze it - this can be done but with difficulty. Kings are great as they withstand hard biting, bounce at different angles, and the dog is given something interesting to do at any time. So he doesn’t get overweight hold back some of his daily ration just for the Kong. For another treat give him a small washed carrot to chew on.
My previous dear old lab loved her Kong but sometimes got frustrated and would cry at it! New puppy now enjoying it but with treats easy to get out.

Enjoy your dog!

MayBee70 Tue 02-Mar-21 11:52:45

My current dog, having recently been spayed, seems to be permanently hungry so I started putting part of her evening meal in a Kong to make the food last longer. I put some James Wellbeloved or Skinners kibble in the end then squash some Butcher’s Tripe over it. My last dog got her teeth caught in a Kong so I’ve always been wary of using them (I think I may have given her the wrong size, though). They’re horrible to clean, though. I soak it overnight and clean the inside with an old toothbrush.

Mollybest1 Tue 02-Mar-21 14:37:50

Yes, she’s called Molly ( best1) ?

Alexa Thu 04-Mar-21 08:41:00

I think there are rubber Kong food dispensers that can be chewed to get soft food out of them. The Kong I got for my JRT is an indestructible rigid type. It is completely easy to wash, but I think soft food would stick to it so that the dog could not extract it.

He gets all his breakfast kibble from the Kong ,and his pouch meat on his ceramic dish his previous mummy sent with him.

Alexa Thu 04-Mar-21 08:43:19

Avalon, I will try my dog with a washed carrot. He might take to that as he already likes to chew sticks that he brings home.

MayBee70 Thu 04-Mar-21 13:11:05

My dogs current favourite is Skippers fish skin flatties. Smell horrible but they last for ages and are good for her teeth. Also Whimzees, especially the rice bone one that she has to kill first. I found some frozen beef ribs in the freezer that I’m going to try her with. She had a lot of tummy trouble as a young dog but, touch wood, seems ok now. I’ve got the pro kolin on standby just in case!

25Avalon Thu 04-Mar-21 15:27:49

Maybe you’ve reminded me I got small dried sardines I think it was for my previous dog. They had little eyes that looked at you and they absolutely stank. The dog loved them!

25Avalon Thu 04-Mar-21 15:28:12

Should be MayBee

MayBee70 Thu 04-Mar-21 16:52:41

A favourite training treat is Arlingtons fish treat. Quite small. And I’ve just noticed they’re fish shaped. Barker and Barker liver training treats used to be a favourite but you have to limit how many they have.