Gransnet forums

Pets

Dry cat food

(14 Posts)
kittylester Tue 05-Oct-21 18:59:03

Can anyone tell me the name of a softish dry cat food please?

Our oldest cat is borderline hypothyroxic and very greedy. The vet has suggested that dry cat food would be better for him but suggested a softer brand. Dh, who went in with Kiwi, didn't ask which brand she recommended!

Shandy57 Tue 05-Oct-21 19:04:53

I've avoided dry cat foods for years after my cat had serious urinary problems because she didn't drink enough water. There is also the problem of some dry cat foods being recalled recently because of the suspected link to cats dying from Pancytopenia.

Perhaps ring the vet to ask for their recommendation?

FannyCornforth Tue 05-Oct-21 19:08:28

Royal Canin is quite soft.
My very, very fussy MC gets on with it. Good luck, I know what a nightmare they can be

Jessica995 Sun 17-Oct-21 05:18:00

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

shysal Sun 17-Oct-21 10:21:21

My elderly cats eat Royal Canin Ageing 12+, which has a soft centre. They like it better than any other RC foods too. They like the wet version in jelly too.
www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/royal_canin/royalcanin_health_nutrition/232562?ref=reorder

shysal Sun 17-Oct-21 15:50:41

Is your vet allowing owners in for the consultation? I still have to hand over the carrier in the car park due to Covid restrictions.

TwoWolves Sun 17-Oct-21 15:55:28

Avoid these dry foods due to ongoing Pancytopenia concerns: Sainsbury Hypoallergenic; Applaws; Ava and Wickes.

TillyTrotter Sun 17-Oct-21 15:56:30

Royal Canin senior for our little 14 yr old cat.
To encourage her to keep hydrated we place glasses of water in various rooms and she likes to climb up to coffee tables to drink from them. I found this out when she helped herself to my glass of water one day!

kittylester Sun 17-Oct-21 17:18:51

shysal

Is your vet allowing owners in for the consultation? I still have to hand over the carrier in the car park due to Covid restrictions.

Yes, only one person and waiting in the car park until called.

Liz46 Sun 17-Oct-21 17:25:22

TillyTrotter

Royal Canin senior for our little 14 yr old cat.
To encourage her to keep hydrated we place glasses of water in various rooms and she likes to climb up to coffee tables to drink from them. I found this out when she helped herself to my glass of water one day!

Our cat rarely drinks from his fountain but, like your cat, steals a glass of water. I have water next to my bed and if I put a tissue over it, he just removes the tissue.

One very hot day, I was concerned about him so put a plastic 'glass' on the table in the garden and he had a good drink.

TillyTrotter Sun 17-Oct-21 17:33:45

Aren’t they funny, our feline friends Liz46? ?

MrsEggy Sun 17-Oct-21 17:40:06

My cat, who was 19 when she died, would never drink from the water I put for her, but enjoyed a good drink from our fish pond,.as do the local squirrels. Someone told me cats dislike the smell of chemicals in tap water.

dogsmother Sun 17-Oct-21 17:55:04

Can you try raw, my dogs do nutrimement complete raw and there is a cat version. I would certainly do it next time I have a cat purely on the benefits I’ve had wi5h dogs.

humptydumpty Sun 17-Oct-21 18:01:14

we got our cat Scrunbles (to augment her wet food) when we saw it at the local food fair, adn after seeing the people on Dragon's Den! It is specifically to aid digestion and is soft, she's very keen just after it comes out of the packet!