Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

NOW CLOSED: Gransnetters needed to try a YouView box (RRP £299) and share their thoughts on site

(11 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 26-Feb-13 11:39:54

We’ve been asked by the team at YouView to find 3 UK gransnetters to try out a YouView box and to share their feedback on Gransnet.

We’re looking for folks who are keen to switch from their current TV provider or who want to add this box to another TV in their home. Testers should be in the UK.

YouView say “YouView is a subscription–free television service which seamlessly combines live and catch-up television. The service offers over 70 free to air channels and radio stations via a TV aerial and also connects to any broadband service to bring catch-up and on demand programmes directly to your TV. The TV service, which launched in July 2012, is backed by BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, BT, TalkTalk and Arqiva”

You can get YouView free as part of a broadband subscription from BT or TalkTalk (activation/installation fees may apply) or to buy from all major retailers and many independent electrical stores - RRP from £299.

There are some technical requirements for this product test:

- To set up a YouView set-top box you need to connect it to your TV via a HDMI cable or SCART lead, to your TV aerial and to your broadband router via an Ethernet cable.

- If your router is more than 2 metres from your box you'll need a longer Ethernet cable than provided or will need to use a powerline adapter.

- A minimum broadband speed of 3Mb/s and an unlimited data allowance from your broadband supplier is recommended.

YouView also say “The service has pause, rewind, fast-forward and record functionality for live TV giving you more flexibility when enjoying your favourite TV programmes. We also offer the option to record one show while watching another, gives reminders to let you know a programme is about to start and has up to 300 hours (500GB) of storage space for your programme recordings in MyView”

Please read all about YouView here

Before you apply please ensure you check your details here: checker.youview.com/ to ensure you can receive the YouView service at home and check you have unlimited broadband as this is recommended.

If you’re selected to take part you will be sent a YouView Humax DTR T1000 box worth £299 – you’ll be asked to install it at home, try it and add feedback at least twice to a thread on Gransnet. You’ll be asked to add your first impressions and then to add extra feedback a week or two later to share what you’ve been watching, recording, pausing and how you and your family are finding YouView. We’ll also ask you to add a review to the reviews area on Gransnet.

If you’d like to take part please add your details here

So long as you add feedback as required you will be able to keep the box.

Thanks and good luck

GNHQ

Cagsy Tue 26-Feb-13 13:59:07

I'll pass on this one thanks, there are far too many such boxes in our house & I struggle to get them to work - much to the amusement of my DH & youngest DS

vampirequeen Tue 26-Feb-13 14:36:14

I've applied. Sometimes the TV is my only company and it would be nice to watch a documentary rather than Jeremy Kyle in the afternoon lol.

Barrow Tue 26-Feb-13 15:13:05

"minimum broadband speed of 3Mb/s" well that lets me out. I am lucky to get 1Mb/s. You would think I live in the middle of nowhere to have such a slow speed but in fact am only 5 miles from Bristol!

kittylester Tue 26-Feb-13 16:48:11

I've applied! We are rethinking our 'boxes' and TV provision since DS1 left home. smile

brownhandbag Thu 28-Feb-13 12:44:48

Sorry, your broadband speed is not fast enough. sad

Irene16 Thu 28-Feb-13 17:07:00

Wow that's freaky! Our Fetch TV box has conked out and we were looking at another internet box.

Would be great to check out the YourView box. We upgraded to BT Infinity last month so have a broadband speed of 30.26Mb/s to play with. Would love the opportunity to try out and review the Humax DTR T1000 box :-)

grandmac Fri 08-Mar-13 20:44:03

Well I was lucky enough to be selected to receive one of these boxes, and it is wonderful. I had an old Humax box that wouldn't even turn itself on from the remote and certainly didn't record unless I pushed the button while the programme was showing. Then it totally died and I was about to email the Humax technical dept. for advice, when I saw the email to say that this one was on its way. How marvellous is that?! grin
And this little box of magic is a revelation! It was so easy to set up and looks good too. I can now record whole series with one click and get on to iPlayer for things I missed. Pause live programmes for bathroom breaks and rewind when I miss bits while doing jigsaws at the same time as watching. I love it. (How sad is that?!)
My only fear now is that they are going to want it back!! angry sad

gillybob Fri 08-Mar-13 23:15:12

I too was one of the very lucky grans selected to try the YouView box. It arrived yesterday morning and we have tried it the first time this evening. I was late in from visiting my parents and my husband had set it all up ready for me. He said it was a dream to set up and had no fuss whatsoever. The box itself sits nicely on my TV stand and the bright display is very easy to see and read. It was fantastic to use the catch up facility and I got to see a couple of program's that I would have otherwise missed. I also tried the pause facility while I was attending to dinner which was great as my husband is hopeless at "keeping up". I haven't had chance to use all of the facilities this fantastic box has to offer as yet but 10 out of 10 so far. I do hope I get to keep it as can see myself getting very attached. smile

vampirequeen Sat 09-Mar-13 11:09:55

It's arrived and OMG it's amazing.

AnnGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 11-Mar-13 12:00:16

Hello - glad the boxes have arrived ok! We will be starting a feedback thread very soon for all your comments.