Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

GNers needed to try a Freesat+ box (RRP £226) and share their thoughts on site NOW CLOSED

(23 Posts)
AngelieGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 29-Aug-13 11:22:41

We've been asked by the team at Freesat to find 10 UK Gransnetters to try out a Freesat+ box with <free time> and to share their feedback on Gransnet.

We're looking for folks who are keen to switch from their current TV provider or who want to add this box to another TV in their home. Testers should be in the UK.

Here's what they have to say: "Hello. We're freesat. We believe you shouldn't have to pay a monthly subscription to watch and listen to 180 channels of the best comedy, drama, sport, lifestyle, music and news. We offer free HD services from ITV, the BBC and Channel 4; freesat+ to record pause and rewind, BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD and Demand; and all subscription free."

Freesat launched <freetime> last Autumn which includes a Roll Back TV Guide that allows you to watch programmes you've missed from the previous seven days across 21 channels, a new showcase section providing top TV picks chosen daily by Freesat's reviewers, on-demand services and enhanced recordings.

Freesat is a subscription free service and Freesat+ boxes are available to buy from a range of retailers - RRP from £226.

If you're selected to take part you will be sent a Humax 500GB Freesat+ with <freetime> box worth £226.You will then need to try it and add feedback at least twice to a thread on Mumsnet. You'll be asked to add your first impressions and then to add extra feedback a week or two later to share what you've been watching, recording, pausing and how you and your family are finding Freesat.

There are some technical requirements for this product test:

- You will need a satellite dish to install Freesat. If you already have a satellite dish you'll be asked to install the Freesat box at home. If you do not, a satellite dish will be fitted for you, but you must ensure that you have access and permission (if required)
- You will also need access to the internet to access <freetime>. The minimum speed required is 2mbps, you can test your speed here

If you'd like to take part please add your details here

So long as you add feedback as required you will be able to keep the box after testing is over.

Thanks and good luck,

GNHQ

j08 Thu 29-Aug-13 18:44:28

Wish my name was Angelie! envy

dolang2012 Mon 02-Sep-13 09:24:35

application all filled in xx

janerowena Thu 12-Sep-13 13:56:30

Angelie really wouldn't suit you, J08. grin However, I think it would suit me, if I try very hard to live up to it. VERY hard.

I can't believe how fast this freenet thingy went. I only applied last week, got an email two days ago, the enginneers rang yesterday and are coming on Monday and the box arrived today! Very exciting. As long as I can figure out how it all works...

suzz Thu 12-Sep-13 15:49:20

Snap janerowena, smile

got e-mail Tuesday, phone call yesterday, box today and engineer Monday, what service........... hope freestat + is good.

grin

Lindylooby Thu 12-Sep-13 17:35:16

Excited, a call from the engineer yesterday, satellite dish being fitted Monday. Box arrived today, looks lovely, looking forward to getting it all set up. Thank you gransnetter and freesat for picking me for this review.

janerowena Mon 16-Sep-13 10:47:36

It's only 10.45, mine is all fixed and working! grin Son now miffed that he is off to uni at the end of the week, 194 channels instead of what we can find on Freeview. At first view, I love it and it's very easy to use.

janerowena Mon 16-Sep-13 10:50:43

Is this the thread where we are meant to do feedback?

Gally Mon 16-Sep-13 11:30:39

Good to hear that Jane. Someone is due here tomorrow to 'put up a dish' but as I already have one, I'm not sure what that means. I hope he installs the actual box too - I am hopeless with wires [pathetic emoticon]. Excitedly looking forward to better telly options - at 4 in the morning all I seem to get are those dreadful shopping channels....

Granny23 Mon 16-Sep-13 13:06:49

I have had the box since middle of last week but no call from the engineers so far. We already have a dish so not waiting for that - should we try to set up ourselves? I note that the original post says that the feedback thread is on MUMSNET. Think I am still registered so will have a look there.

Scooter58 Mon 16-Sep-13 14:11:27

Got email last week,box delivered Friday,engineer here this morning all fitted and recording first program. Good looking box,not too big,fits perfectly in tv stand.First impressions very good.Looking forward to using and reviewing this service.Thank you Gransnet.

Scooter58 Mon 16-Sep-13 14:14:29

Granny 23,I had a satellite already,engineers ran cable from satellite to box,set channels etc,all done and dusted in under half an hour.

Lindylooby Mon 16-Sep-13 15:26:32

Brilliant, satellite dish all fitted, the engineer even hoovered up after himself, box all set up and working....brilliant thank you gransnet.

janerowena Tue 17-Sep-13 10:46:36

Our engineer put ours on too, maybe to check that the dish was working? Anyway, if you already have a dish then I assume you are meant to start yours up yourself. The only thing we need is a longer cable to the router so that we can use the record/iplayer facility, we shall get one this weekend.

I missed the old teletext and ceefax when they went, it's nice to have a replacement for those. I also love the search facilty. I wonder if we are meant to be popping onto Mumsnet? YOOHOO ADMIN! Mumsnet takes forever to download on my ancient computer, but I can't add any more memory so would prefer not to go on there if i can avoid it.

If so, could someone please provide me with a link to the relevant thread, as I can download individual forums but not the whole site. Thank you!

AngelieGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 17-Sep-13 10:56:38

Sorry about the confusion over the feedback thread, it will be on Gransnet, not Mumsnet - I'll email the link to everyone once it is live smile

janerowena Tue 17-Sep-13 11:08:41

Thank you, Angelie. smile

Gally Tue 17-Sep-13 13:03:52

'engineers' have just left - 5 minutes flat to set it up and show me (!) how to work it - huh, time will tell. Will sit down later and try and work it out wink

Granny23 Tue 17-Sep-13 15:47:13

Engineers phoned at last. Not able to come until a week on Wednesday. Will have to twiddle our thumbs till then.

milkflake Thu 19-Sep-13 17:32:48

Mine is all set up now, but didnt know you had to provide a box to get catch up if your tv is in a different room from the router. Luckily we had a box in the house , brand new and the engineer fitted it for me. So far only the the mains light is on and catch up wont work. The engineer said it usually worked right away but it could maybe take longer , so I am waiting!
We have a strong enough broadband signal to cope, and catch up was one of the reasons I wanted to try Freesat.
Everything else is good smile

janerowena Thu 19-Sep-13 23:04:20

Milkflake I don't know if you have ever had a break in connection and when tinternet comes back on, it doesn't recognise your router id? well, the engineer said that it sometimes happens, so unplug your cable and plug it back in again and see if that works. Also, some of the homeplugs aren't strong enough to cope with the freenet output, when I was looking at reviews. So we are going to buy a hub instead and just use longer cables. We have routers, hubs and cables shooting off in all directions as it is, why not just add more. hmm

milkflake Fri 20-Sep-13 08:51:49

thanks Janerowena, the box I have should work remotely and when I spoke to my Son last night he gave me a few things to try to get the box to connect! Otherwise I will be like you and trying cables running around the house smile

Caramac Sun 22-Sep-13 09:57:10

Mine arrived on Friday, the engineer was very good but whilst I was keeping dogs and DG under control in the lounge, all was explained to DP and engineer left. (I am a person with a brain but blame DP, he likes to be helpful)
However, first impressions - the box itself is sleek, not overly large and pleasing to the eye. The remote control has legible controls - better than some I have used. The Programme Guide is better than SKY and is easy to use. I do want to use Catch-up but also have the same issue as others ie, the router is in the hall and Freesat box in kitchen. However, DP is quite techy and whilst I could do it, I will let him feel superior sorting it out whilst I do something I want to do - tee hee.
I am very happy with the picture quality, I think this is because box is connected to SKY dish but to be honest, even with a proper ariel box in the kitchen, I never bothered with tv in there because the picture was awful. Now It is excellent, really excellent.
So - first impressions are very good and it has exceeded my expectations. I had considered buying a Freesat box before I gave into the SKY tv monster but had concerns it might spoil picture quality, I had bought a hard rive recorder and it ruined picture on tv in lounge so it now gathers dust. This Freesat box is far superior to HDR .

Caramac Sun 22-Sep-13 09:59:22

Thank you, I am so pleased I was not the only one who was a little concerned over where to post!