Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

Do you like your grandchild's name? Take this short survey. £50 to be won NOW CLOSED

(42 Posts)
AmeliaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 11-May-17 16:32:51

Here at GNHQ, we’re interested in hearing about how involved grandparents are when their grandchildren’s names are being chosen - and what happens when disagreements arise. We’ve based the questions below on discussions we’ve read about baby names on Gransnet and Mumsnet.

This survey is open to all GNers who have at least one grandchild. Please click here.

If you add your details when you take part, you’ll be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £50 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck,

GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

callgirl1 Mon 22-May-17 00:10:37

I`ve completed the survey, but where it asks for the ages of my grandchildren I could only tick 3 boxes, because 5 of them come in one age bracket 18+, hope that was OK?

Disgruntled Sat 27-May-17 09:55:19

I couldn't fill in the survey because the first question doesn't give the option "I wasn't consulted and didn't expect to be."

middleagespread Sat 27-May-17 17:19:09

Some names of 8 GC so far I've been less sure of than others but the moment I've held them they become that person and I can't imagine not being happy with my children's choices. With another 2 on the way will I be made to eat my words. smile shock

grandmac Tue 06-Jun-17 17:37:10

I am lucky in that I love all six grandchildren's names. The first was named after her two great grandmothers, so old fashioned names but beautiful. Youngest daughter named her first born the feminine version of our first born son who died at eleven months. She asked my permission first but I am so glad she had a girl. Don't think I would have coped if it was exactly the same as our son.

grannypiper Tue 06-Jun-17 18:50:20

When my DD was pregnant i overheard her telling a friend she really disliked the name for a boy her Husband had decided on.I went ballistic and told her she had to stand up to him and say no and that they should decide together the name of their child. He was a bully and would not allow DD to have her say. He then decided that if "it" was a girl ( which he was happy to say he didnt want) it would have an Irish name as his family were Irish, i said nothing until the idiot registered my DGD then pointed out her name was Not Irish but was in fact Welsh

kate1947 Tue 06-Jun-17 20:03:43

I believe it is the parents choice not the grandparents. Even if we don't let me the names they choose we shouldn't say. Fortunately I love the names of my grandsons

Pamaga Mon 12-Jun-17 09:47:06

I see no reason why grandparents should be involved in choosing grandchildren's names nor why there should be any pressure to use traditional family names. Our three grandchildren have names that I like but, even if I didn't care for their names, I feel it is inappropriate to make negative comments about their choices.

lesley222 Mon 19-Jun-17 18:20:29

I like the name gazelle and ella

smudgerok1 Thu 29-Jun-17 13:57:07

never been involved the kids and partners always done it themselves as did we with ours

lilypollen Thu 29-Jun-17 15:31:20

I think it is entirely up to the parents to decide. We did and it was a surprise to the GPs. DS and DIL decided to reverse the names of the baby after 48 hours.....I still prefer his second name though wink

jacksmum Thu 29-Jun-17 16:01:13

I have done these surveys but i keep getting E-Mails asking me to do them , are we meant to do them more than once before we stand a chance of winning?

Day6 Thu 06-Jul-17 12:17:45

When I heard what they intended to call the baby I immediately blurted out, "Oh. It's a bit common. There's a lot of them about. Kerry Katona chose that name for her daughter."

What a cow, eh? grin

Fortunately they both burst out laughing. My words didn't influence them either, I am glad to say.

rosesarered Fri 07-Jul-17 14:14:05

Not up to us to choose their names is it? I do like what they chose though.

Jayh Fri 07-Jul-17 14:25:25

Done

Bobbysgirl19 Fri 07-Jul-17 23:17:52

Like most others on this thread, I do not consider it is my place to get involved in the choice of names for grandchildren. And the suggestion that anyone would disagree with the choice of names that parents choose really astounds me! Surely none of our business.

AnnGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 13-Jul-17 14:56:47

Thanks to all those who completed the survey - Andyf wins the £50 - well done