Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

UK home-owner? Take our survey. £100 voucher to be won! NOW CLOSED

(61 Posts)
PoppyM1985 Tue 06-Feb-18 11:05:13

We want to find out about Gransnet users’ experiences of home downsizing (selling a larger or more expensive home in order to move to smaller or cheaper home).

This survey is open to all Gransnet users who own their own home outright or have a mortgage on their own home.

As a thank you, everyone who completes the survey will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 voucher for the store of their choice (from a list but includes John Lewis, Amazon, M&S etc)

Take the survey here
All responses are confidential and no individual details will be passed on to any third parties.

Thanks (and good luck).

GNHQ

mollie Tue 06-Feb-18 13:09:58

Done.

BBbevan Tue 06-Feb-18 13:45:46

Me too

Nanawind Tue 06-Feb-18 13:58:55

Done

SueDonim Tue 06-Feb-18 15:14:15

Done.

Purpledaffodil Tue 06-Feb-18 16:01:46

Done

Chewbacca Tue 06-Feb-18 16:21:03

Done

Granny23 Tue 06-Feb-18 16:35:58

I've done the survey but found it hard to answer the questions as homes don't come much smaller than ours. It was a bit of a squash in our 2 bed cottage when the DDs were teenagers but before we got round to converting the loft for them, they were off to Uni and never came home to live, only to visit. Once they had graduated, worked away, been 'round the world' etc, they both settled down, in neighbouring towns and started a family. Our house is now perfect for the two of us with enough room to have the DGC for the odd sleep over, though they now prefer to stay at their Aunties' with their cousins.

lemongrove Tue 06-Feb-18 16:36:07

Tick!

Auntieflo Tue 06-Feb-18 19:22:47

Done

Maggiemaybe Tue 06-Feb-18 19:41:06

And done.

NanaandGrampy Tue 06-Feb-18 21:02:25

Done

NfkDumpling Tue 06-Feb-18 21:06:42

Done. It sounds Granny23* as if you got ahead of the game and downsized to start with and saved a whole lot of heartache and hassle!

M0nica Tue 06-Feb-18 23:19:36

Done - but, but,but... What is the point of asking how many 'spare' bedrooms people have, if you do not ask how many bedrooms we actually have. Some people will consider any bedroom over 1 spare, others 2 and so on

Most people will talk about, all the upstairs rooms in a house, or specific rooms in a flat as being bedrooms, even though they are used for other purposes. All except our main bedroom have double uses and in any week, all are likely to be used for one purpose or another.

NfkDumpling Wed 07-Feb-18 07:10:26

Good point MOnica. We have three bedrooms. The one we sleep in, another which doubles as a study, a sewing room, a store and isolation ward as well as accommodation for visiting offspring, and a tiny one (originally a box room) which will only just take a single bed. So I put down one as the little room is the only one which is spare.

gillybob Wed 07-Feb-18 07:28:08

I’ve done it too but found it frustrating that it assumed by downsizing that you had released equity ( money to spend ). We downsized in order to lower our mortgage and mortgage payments and moving closer to the grandchildren in order to do more childcare .

Marydoll Wed 07-Feb-18 08:12:51

Done.

grandMattie Wed 07-Feb-18 12:26:10

Done.
We downsized because we lived too far from public transport and the house/garden was far too big. This wasn't on questionnaire. Not enough reasons for moving!
We are fortunate in that our children are settled and not likely to live with us again. Occasional visit, but we seem to visit them more frequently.

Gagagran Wed 07-Feb-18 15:01:25

Done. I agree - the reasons for doing it were not inclusive of the reasons we did it and the ones mentioned above.

amandav53 Wed 07-Feb-18 15:21:17

Done

Marmight Wed 07-Feb-18 16:58:00

Done. Downsized a couple of months ago. Still in shock shock

f77ms Thu 08-Feb-18 16:29:11

Can`t downsize as have 2 ACs living back at home .

nanny2507 Thu 08-Feb-18 21:52:49

all done

NfkDumpling Fri 09-Feb-18 07:23:14

I agree that the survey's apparent assumption downsizing is to release money. We certainly didn't release any equity when we down-sized as we moved into a market town and the new house needed work. In fact I think it cost us money.

Teetime Fri 09-Feb-18 09:04:04

Done but I don't think it has taken into account our kind of case where we moved to a cheaper but in fact nicer area and got a larger house.