Gransnet forums

Product tests and surveys

Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests and Surveys being run by Gransnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products or to post your own surveys. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test or survey, please email [email protected]. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic here

Read gransnetters feedback on Carphone Warehouse’s new Energy Saver service

(7 Posts)
M0nica Mon 04-Jun-18 09:35:29

The other thing to be careful about, on any comparison site, is that these sites compare how much you will save with another supplier with what you would be paying now if you were on your current supplier's standard variable rate, not the specific tariff rate you are actually on, which will be lower.

I investigated this when a comparison site said I could save up to £300 if I changed, so I did, and then actually saved very little, despite comparable fuel consumption for the previous year. I then got a comparison for the next year and was once again told I could save £300. At that point I got suspicious and decided to investigate exactly what was being compared with what.

The reasoning used by the comparison sites is that if you are on a specific tariff with a supplier, which usually runs for a year, when that tariff term ends, if you do not negotiate a different tariff, you will revert to the standard variable rate.

So the comparison is not between what you are paying this year and could save on this amount next year, but what you would pay next year if you reverted to the standard variable rate and what you could pay if you changed tariff.

Sneaky, isn't it? The aim is to encourage you to change supplier so that the comparison site can get a transfer fee.

burwellmum Sun 03-Jun-18 22:48:04

I used the app. I could save £135 but not with a supplier I would use - the internet is full of tales about them and there was no customer rating of them on the app unlike other comparison sites I have used. I found it easy to use but would not recommend it because of the lack of information on customer feedback.

SallySwann Thu 31-May-18 21:52:41

I used the app but found it took some time to get used to it. It seemed we could save around £200 but I'm not totally convinced of this. Overall the service deemed reasonably easy but there are other schemes that can be used. I probably would not recommend it unless specifically asked when I would mention it but leave it to them to make their own mind up. Rates change do frequently, a good deal today may be a bad deal tomorrow.

GeminiJen Tue 15-May-18 20:24:41

I used the app, downloaded to my iPad.
Completing the form was straightforward, with one exception.
I'm with E.ON I year v. 7 online, and this was not listed among the options to tick. ...so I chose another option, which will have affected the results.
The estimate was that I could save £236 a year by switching to Economy Energy online saver. Looking at the further information about this company, I found that it had only been in business since 2012. Also, levels of customer 'satisfaction' and complaints were such that I would not be minded to switch.
Reading through details for other recommended deals confirmed my view.
I was glad of the opportunity to try the Carphone Warehouse service.
However, I'm a member of the MSE Cheap Energy Club and happy to remain so. My total energy bill for last year came to £460 for a 3 bedroom house...which I thought was reasonable.

Angelwings Sun 13-May-18 14:41:04

1. Did you use the app or go in store to get your quote?
I downloaded the app onto my iPad, it was quick and easy to do.
The only thing for me about the app is that it takes up valuable app space and is only something I would use twice a year.
So a web link would be a better option for me, or otherwise I would need to keep uninstalling and reinstalling the app when I want to use it.
If you have a large memory capacity on your device this will not prove so much of an issue for you.

2. How much did you/ could you save?
£163

3. How easy did you find the service to use?
The service was quick and easy to use. I couldn't really get in a muddle with it or go wrong in any way.

4. Would you recommend Carphone Warehouse Energy Saver to a friend or family member?
Yes I would because it is easy to use, but having said that there are obviously other comparison services out there and it's maybe a good idea to check with more than one to make sure you get the best result.

cathwarbur Tue 08-May-18 21:18:24

I went in store to get a quote, with a few details I found I could possible save about £300 per year. This was good news for our household for certain, so I'll be looking further into subscribing to their app. I found the process easy to use and of course money saving. I probably recommend it.

JustineBGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 04-May-18 09:42:37

This is the feedback thread for the gransnetters who have tested Carphone Warehouse’s new Energy Saver service, either by going in store or via their app (Energy Saver on iOS and Google Play).

Here’s what Carphone Warehouse has to say: “We’re famous for getting people a better mobile deal. And now we’re using our expertise to help you save on your energy bill. Switching your energy supplier may seem like a lot of work – but don’t worry, that’s what we’re here for.”

Testers, please answer the below questions:
1. Did you use the app or go in store to get your quote?
2. How much did you/ could you save?
3. How easy did you find the service to use?
4. Would you recommend Carphone Warehouse Energy Saver to a friend or family member?

All selected testers who give their feedback will be entered into a prize draw where three GNers will win a £50 voucher for a store of their choice (from a list). PLUS if you’ve saved money and you’re happy to share this on Twitter, please do so using the Twitter handles @MumsnetInsight and @CPWTweets, plus the hashtag #cpwenergysaver to be entered into another prize draw where one MNer or GNer will win a £100 voucher for the store of their choice.

If you’re not a tester but you’d like to try the service out please feel free to do so. It’s useful to know who your energy supplier is and which tariff you’re on before you start, but the process should take just a few minutes (and the average saving is £273!)

Thanks and good luck!

GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply