Gransnet forums

Relationships

In praise of.....

(68 Posts)
grannyactivist Mon 22-Aug-11 17:27:32

my husband. Yes, he does have a few irritating habits and he isn't (quite) perfect, but he's been a wonderful husband, father, son, brother and grandfather. He is kind, thoughtful, generous and really, really good at DIY; he's also my dearest and best friend.

my parents in law. The apple hasn't fallen far from the tree. My in laws are two of the kindest, most generous and thoughtful people I've ever met. They support all the family with patient good humour and great sensitivity.

It apparently takes ten positive comments to undo the work of a single negative one. Let's be kind and give praise where it's due.

Annobel Wed 24-Aug-11 15:41:43

Let's hear it for the younger generation - though in the case of my DSs, actually middle-aged. Elder DS mucked up his formal education but set to and proved himself in every job he had. He did well in the hospitality industry and is well respected in his present career. He is a wonderful father to three of my GC and no-one could ask for a better son. He and his brother and their partners and my senior GD organised a fabulous 70th birthday party for me; it was wonderful to see so many of my relatives, in-laws and old friends under one roof. He and his family have welcomed me on caravan holidays in France. When they were working in Europe, I had some great holidays in their resorts. Younger DS did well academically and has a senior position with a nationally known retailer. He works far too hard but manages to be a great dad and partner. I'm always welcome under their roof and am looking forward to visiting them soon. I am happy to be able to call my DSs (and their partners) my friends.

absentgrana Wed 24-Aug-11 16:37:26

I agree Annobel My daughter also thoroughly messed up her formal education – something she now bitterly regrets – and was such a completely unspeakable teenager only a mother could have loved her. However, she is now studying for qualifications so that she can do a midwifery degree and got an average mark of 92% in the first part (100% in maths apparently). She was working full-time until recently, but has stopped while she is studying over 20 hours a week. She has four fabulous children aged between three and nine, a lovely husband, a huge garden and a large house. She's also a great cook. My only problem is that they are all in New Zealand while I live in England (for the time-being) but I know that she is hugely happy there.

JessM Wed 24-Aug-11 18:34:12

my nomination today is the team that runs "my" school. It's in a tough area but we've just had the best results ever AGAIN (4 years and counting). 32% A-Cs including English and Maths (the key measure) up from 25% last year! And, wonderfully, for the first time since the school opened in the 70s - someone is going to Cambridge. First ever Oxbridge entry. On top of our first ever Good Ofsted grading this year. Chuffed to bits with staff and the kids as well. Very happy chair of governors today.

Annobel Wed 24-Aug-11 19:04:09

Congrats to your school,Jess. Not enough credit is given to teachers and school management; and the press and politicians gang up to devalue the achievements of children who have worked their socks off to improve on their predecessors. Good work, one and all. wine

susiecb Thu 25-Aug-11 09:53:00

There are some days like yesterday when I could give him his marching orders though he can be stubborn!

Bellesnan Thu 25-Aug-11 10:05:09

With you girls on your comments - if we are lucky to find the right guy then you put up with anything and everything. I can seriously put up with my husband's fab cooking all the time! I think my sil is great - a musician in the army with no uni degree, 'A' levels or GCSEs but achieved a Masters in music three years ago courtesy of army sponsorship. He is also a fab husband to my daughter and a fab dad to my grandchildren. My daughter and I are very lucky.

Libradi Thu 25-Aug-11 17:23:31

Praise to my MIL who has never once interfered in our 33 years of marriage, yet she is always there for us. I'm sure there must have been many a time she has had to bite her tongue. She never asks us to do anything for her (still very independent at 80) yet always willing to do anything for us and for her other children and grandchildren.

yogagran Thu 25-Aug-11 21:30:53

That's such a lovely comment Libradi - especially after reading some of the other threads on GN. You are two very lucky ladies x

nanachrissy Thu 25-Aug-11 21:53:27

My praise goes to my daughter and son, who have supported me without fail through some difficult times.Also my group of friends whom I have known for 30 odd years, who have been wonderful. I am deeply envious of all of you who have loving marriages, it must feel so good to have someone who's a lover and a best friend. Praise to you GNetters too as you are all so kind and helpful to everyone. smile

Libradi Thu 25-Aug-11 21:56:09

Thanks yoga but it's true, I think I'm only really appreciating how good she's been since being a MIL myself, I just hope I can be as good to my DIL.

nannasarah Tue 30-Aug-11 16:40:29

Having felt bad about posting DHs annoying habits I'd like to say after
46 years of marriage I haven't that much to complain about.We married
at 17 and 19(I was pregnant)and everyone said it wouldn't last.However,
we were so much in love we didn't care what anyone thought.Over the
next 7 years we had 4 children and life was hard.My DH held down 2 and 3
jobs and with a lot of help from my Mum and his Mum and Dad we somehow
got by.Every new school term my Mum would knit 4 school jumpers and
help with new school shoes.His dad would come and decorate our flat.
Now as my DH approaches a well earned retirement I thank him for all his care for me and his children. (also 6 grandchildren between 5 and 22)
He is a good husband, hardworking, kind and generous and I don't regret
a moment.

Gally Tue 30-Aug-11 17:00:02

Nannasarah wine

greenmossgiel Tue 30-Aug-11 17:25:36

Nannasarah - that's just lovely. What a fine supportive family you had, as well. They wanted you to be happy and did all they could for you. That must have shone though the family you had yourselves. smile

nannasarah Wed 31-Aug-11 15:18:39

Thank you ladies.My first post and I feel among friends

grannyactivist Fri 27-Apr-12 10:20:06

Just decided to resurrect this thread in praise of our dear glassortwo. I think almost without exception Gransnetters are a warm, supportive bunch, but if you read through glass's posts she is an outstanding encourager. Just thought it was worth a special mention. And some flowersflowersflowersflowers

Annobel Fri 27-Apr-12 10:32:57

Hear, hear! wine - a toast to Glass - or two wine

nanachrissy Fri 27-Apr-12 10:41:03

I'll second that! smile sunshine

jeni Fri 27-Apr-12 10:42:51

I'll third it smile

syberia Fri 27-Apr-12 10:50:52

and fourth!! grin

Ariadne Fri 27-Apr-12 13:25:51

Fifth!!

soop Fri 27-Apr-12 13:34:20

Sixth! smile

imjingl Fri 27-Apr-12 13:39:09

Go away.

She's my Glass.

glassortwo Fri 27-Apr-12 13:46:28

Oh dear just found this thread, Thank you grannya have you been a fly on the wall this morning?
I am having a sad day for various reason and now I am crying after reading all these lovely posts, thank you xxx

soop Fri 27-Apr-12 14:18:43

glass Why are you sad? Can we help?

whenim64 Fri 27-Apr-12 15:14:20

Don't cry glass. Sorry you're feeling down. You deserve big (((hugs))) for the way you support us all and now it's your turn. Put your feet up, have a bit of r and r, and I hope you feel chirpier soon flowers wine smile