Gransnet forums

Relationships

Allowing a family member to live in my house whilst we are on holiday.

(33 Posts)
Yamyam Tue 05-Mar-13 19:31:57

If your DH, OH, had offered use of your house whilst you were on holiday (without asking you first - compounding the problem) to one of his family (we married in our late 60's so he has a previous family) what would your reaction be, gransnetters? angry

mrshat Wed 06-Mar-13 18:37:25

Agree with Anna's first post! angry

mrshat Wed 06-Mar-13 18:41:38

So sorry Yamyam. I posted my previous message before I got to the bottom of those posted already. I wish you well in whatever decision you come to.

Yamyam Wed 06-Mar-13 19:01:01

Thank you annsixty, HildaW, and all for your hhelpful comments.
He has apologised so I am climbing down from my high horse to meet him half way. Hilda made a lot of sense and I agree that we should have sorted it out before we married, but you can't envisage every eventuality, can you?
Youngsters who get married get the chance to grow up together, but us old(er) couples are a bit set in our ways, I suppose.
What one wife accepts as normal is not necessarily accepted by no.2 !! smile

harrigran Thu 07-Mar-13 00:00:13

Yamyam so sorry that this has happened flowers

Yamyam Thu 07-Mar-13 14:12:45

Thanks harrigran for the flowers. I don't really deserve them as I do admit I was being a bit... Is the word intransigent? We have spoken (miracle) and decided to draw a line under this one, and he has learnt how I feel if I am not consulted (sounds a bit pompous) about things like open invitations to our home.

I think DH and maybe some gns missed the point- probably my fault as I was so angry when I posted the thread that i didn't make it clear, it was the bit about not being consulted.

Will go now and stop being boring grin

Jay1952 Thu 07-Mar-13 14:37:12

I couldn't agree with HildaW more.

HildaW Thu 07-Mar-13 15:34:25

Yamyam, I do hope all goes well flowers