Gransnet forums

Relationships

Domestic goddess or domestic victim?

(142 Posts)
gracesmum Mon 17-Jun-13 12:05:02

I wonder if we can expect an expensive divorce for Nigella Lawson and Charles Saatchi? (Expensive for Saatchi, I mean) I certainly hope she is talking to her lawyers right now.
It is too easy to assume that domestic abuse and marital violence belong either in a bygone age or in dysfunctional familes where the man is an inarticulate bruiser and the woman a doormat . I apologise now to GNetters who have suffered abuse from their partners as my generalisation is sweeping and inadequate. But isn't it about time that this was "outed" as completely unacceptable and criminal behaviour? I hope she does press charges and that they throw the book at him, Alas, he will no doubt have a smarmy pants barrister to get him off for a megabucks fee. But for the present, I would like Nigella take on her opportunity to be a role model for all victims of domestic violence or abuse.

Greatnan Mon 17-Jun-13 22:27:34

I believe two woman a week are killed in Britain by their husband/partner. I don't think men realise how easy it is to kill by squeezing the throat. I think I understand the objection to the use of 'domestic violence' - it makes it sound as if in some way it is different from other violence. (As, indeed, the police treated it until fairly recently).

gracesmum Mon 17-Jun-13 22:34:17

Stansgran I can't believe you mean she somehow "deserves" this? That's like going back to the Dark Ages, justifying violence by men towards their woman. What on earth did you mean?
(PS I take the point about domestic somehow qualifying the term violence but the domus or home should be the place where a person is safest which makes it even worse.)

Elegran Mon 17-Jun-13 22:36:30

"Domestic" makes it sound cosy and on a small scale. Violence is violence, whether it is in the home or on the street.

annodomini Mon 17-Jun-13 22:45:48

I doubt that Nigella Lawson needed to find 'a safe billet' when she re-married. She's well able to support herself and her children through her TV shows and her cook books. It's not as if she comes from an impoverished background either.

nightowl Mon 17-Jun-13 22:56:19

She may have wanted to find an emotionally safe billet. As others have said, she has spoken about being abused by her mother during her childhood and she and her chidren had suffered the death of husband/ father. She may have thought Saatchi would love and nurture all of them. It seems she has been badly let down. I hope she will have the strength to leave him for good, and to realise that she does not need such an excuse of a man in her life. The look on her face in those photos is quite heartbreaking.

Greatnan Mon 17-Jun-13 23:03:28

I am not sure whether it would have been less humiliating if it had been done in private - but then, there would not have been any evidence. I am saddened that no man in the restaurant felt able to tell Saatchi to desist - perhaps it tells us something about the clientele.

Aka Mon 17-Jun-13 23:04:37

Despite what many people believe, domestic abuse is not due to the abuser’s loss of control over his behaviour. Domestic abuse is a deliberate choice made by the abuser. In this way it differs from other forms of violence where control is usually lost.

merlotgran Mon 17-Jun-13 23:11:05

I find it heartbreaking too, nightowl. There have been loads of jokes in our family about Nigella's 'attributes' - never mind her recipes. Her books are on our shelves and we laugh at any caricatures. Harry Hill's weekly jokes used to have us in stiches but I was horrified when I saw the pictures.

Nigella and her children have already been through the heartbreak of her first husband's death. I hope she realises Charles Saatchi is a brute she doesn't need.

nightowl Mon 17-Jun-13 23:12:39

Very true Aka. Men who abuse their wives are very rarely unable to control their anger on the streets, or against other men. It is a convenient excuse to say it is their anger that is to blame, as though it had a life of its own. And before anyone jumps on me, I do know that domestic abuse (I don't like the term either) can be perpetrated by women against men, and is equally inexcusable. However, women are more likely than men to die as a result.

Nelliemoser Mon 17-Jun-13 23:18:36

The Domestic in the title does have a purpose as it indicates that this abuse goes on inside a relationship and that the relationship itself is central to this.

Many abusive people, men or women can seem to be very well regarded and successful professionals and this abusive behaviour only occurs within a relationship.

Abuse rather than violence is the more useful term as it describes a range of unacceptable behaviour which may not include physical assault.

Aka Mon 17-Jun-13 23:49:37

Very true.

Greatnan Tue 18-Jun-13 05:35:50

He has 'accepted' a police caution - as if he had a choice!

Aka Tue 18-Jun-13 06:18:42

I believe Nigella has left the family home. Let's hope she's strong enough to follow this through.

Grannyknot Tue 18-Jun-13 06:57:37

Dead right I'd be embarrassed if I witnessed something like that - "Embarrass: to cause confusion and shame to; make uncomfortably self-conscious; disconcert". Whether he gets away with it or not has very little to do with someone snapping away on their phone. If I was on the receiving end of it I'd also be embarrassed and that would be and aid and encouragement to get out of the relationship. To me embarrassment in a situation like this is an understandable response.

baubles Tue 18-Jun-13 07:23:28

As they say on Mumsnet - LTB. (Leave the bastard)

if this is an example of his behaviour in public I dread to think what happens in private.

sunseeker Tue 18-Jun-13 09:17:43

I can't understand the people who took photos but did nothing to intervene. I know people are wary of getting involved but there are some situations you just don't ignore.

My brother in law was passing an alley one night when he heard a woman calling for help, he went to investigate and found 2 men attacking a woman, he immediately waded in and as a result saved the woman from rape. In the course of the fight he lost his front teeth, but considers it a price worth paying. (He was later able to identify the men and they were both imprisoned).

Bags Tue 18-Jun-13 09:25:39

Well done your brother-in-law, sunseeker. Good man!

If I'd seen Saatchi and Nigella I hope I would have gone over and asked her if she was allright. I hope I would. It's what I would want to do, but I don't know how brave I'd be really.

j08 Tue 18-Jun-13 09:29:25

I don't understand the title of this thread. Why would it have to be either/or? Surely, becoming a victim of abuse doesn't take away what you are.

whenim64 Tue 18-Jun-13 09:44:33

Agree with you Jingle. She remains a domestic goddess. I know she irritates with her provocative phrases (inner thigh wibble!) and flirtatious eye batting, but people are genuinely fond of her and feel quite protective of her, judging by the comments about this incident.

I read some Mumsnet posts, which say it like it is. I hope she's read them, too. Leave the bastard, Nigella! There'll be a queue of suitors lining up, if you feel inclined to pick a gentle man. Personally, I would take this as an opportunity to enjoy my own company and stay safe whilst I got to know my own strengths.

kittylester Tue 18-Jun-13 09:46:06

It very often does jo, that's why victims of domestic abuse keep going back for more, on average dozens of times, before they snap and ask for help.

gracesmum Tue 18-Jun-13 09:53:13

Just meant to be an eye-catching thread title - a play on words OK?

whenim64 Tue 18-Jun-13 09:57:25

It worked gracesmum grin

petra Tue 18-Jun-13 16:09:44

Both my OH and my SIL said they would have lumped the Bastard. Didn't matter who or where they were.

FlicketyB Tue 18-Jun-13 19:28:42

Can I ask a question that will probably bring tons of abuse on my head? Why does anybody continue to go out, let alone marry, someone who shows even the slightest sign of being controlling/abusive? I say people because there is another thread from a mother with a son with an abusive controlling (female) partner.

I only once went out with a long time friend who, once we started dating, showed in the first few dates elliptical signs of a controlling personality that I hadn't seen before and I immediately moved our relationship back into friend/acquaintance mode. When some years later I heard he was married, my immediate feeling was that his wife was taking a risk.

I have had friends and acquaintances who have married controlling men. Two of the women had continuing mental health issues, the third I never understood, her husband's family had a history of domestic violence and her secure loving home background presented no obvious explanation for her risking marrying a man with a worrying past, she was a beautiful caring woman and never lacked admirers.

Bags Tue 18-Jun-13 19:36:17

flickety, it's complicated.

That's the simple answer. The problem isn't as simple as your question would seem to suppose. Or so I have understood from what others have said on this subject.