Gransnet forums

Relationships

Letting off steam...

(52 Posts)
Tegan Tue 21-Jan-14 14:11:25

Feeling a tad annoyed. Last week the S.O. said we should go out for the day on Monday. I said the event he'd chosen wasn't worth going to [it was actually cancelled yesterday anyway] but there was somewhere we could go to on Tuesday. He said he was seeing his son that day so I said that was fine; I'd only suggested it because I felt he'd wanted a day out. I then said at the weekend that I'd got my grandson on Tuesday afternoon and he said 'but that means we can't go out' and I said 'but you've got your son anyway?' [he'd cancelled it but hadn't told me he had]. I then said 'don't you dare pull that face on me [he denied that he had, but he had] because I have never once complained if any sudden family problem he had had stopped us doing anything; imo our families come first'. I thought I'd got the message across, but then, yesterday he told me to tell my daughter that 'in future she is to give us more notice of any childcaer she needed' shock. I pointed out that I hadn't been asked but that I had offered in case her husband got stuck in traffic on his way back from work [he'd booked time off to look after the children but we're surrounded by roadworks in every direction here at the moment]. If I'd passed his 'message' on to my daughter that would have been the nail in the coffin of their relationship, which is somewhat rocky at times. I now sense an atmosphere still. Now I've retired he seems to be wanting more of my time and our weekends together are spreading into the week. I have a house to maintain and I'm only just getting on top of all of the jobs that mounted up when I was working [he can't do do it yourself']. It's not the first time he's made me feel awkward in my own home. When I first knew him he came round one Friday night [for the weekend]and I went to a friends for a cup of tea. I stayed later than planned and he was sulking when I got home; I said he was making me feel uncomfortable in my own house. He's really lovely in other ways, but I feel my house is getting to be a battleground. It's our family home. Sorry about that; it was let rip on here or do it for real [he's just turned up to walk the dog].

KatyK Sun 04-May-14 14:09:43

.Thats very bad jane. I think they assume our lives are over. Oh well it may happen to them one day.

janerowena Sun 04-May-14 13:36:12

That's really sad! However, it's even worse when people invite grandparents on holiday specifically so that they can babysit the small children. Without telling them. Offering to do it for one night is one thing, but I have had friends who have had a huge shock when finding themselves expected to babysit three families of DC's children every night when on holiday in a group of barns in Cornwall. It was simply assumed that they would all be in bed by 9pm and wouldn't want to go out for a drink or a meal.

KatyK Sun 04-May-14 11:42:08

Yes you are right. We get on well with ours too but don't have much in common as DH says.

rosequartz Sun 04-May-14 11:04:45

Luckily we get on well with ours (SIL was grownup when he was born, I think, and gets on well with DH), but when they are with their friends we leave them to it, even though their friends are always lovely to us. The conversation seems to enter a different zone!

KatyK Sun 04-May-14 10:53:39

Thank you rose - yes it was wonderful to see my DGD dancing. You are probably right. I've never been one for cliques. If ever I say to my DH 'I wish we spent more time with our DH and SIL' he always says 'Why? We have nothing in common'.

rosequartz Sun 04-May-14 10:22:51

smile at least you got to see her dancing

Let them be cliquey, you would probably be bored anyway; sometimes the conversation of the younger generation is like a foreign language when they are together.

KatyK Sun 04-May-14 10:06:27

Thank you for the sympathy and hugs everyone! It was fine. My DGD was so fantastic in the show that I concentrated on that. There is a 'clique' in the dance school my DGD attends and DH and I aren't part of it. My DD's friend owns the school and she is the leader of the said clique, so I assume it is up to her who is invited. She is a nice enough girl. They have lots of outings and stuff but never ask us. It's a bit hurtful but I've got myself into such a state over it in the past that I have to let it go. I need to stop harping on about it on here. smile There are more important things to worry about.

Aka Sun 04-May-14 09:42:14

Yes Eiegran lots of twins, tripets, quads, etc. You can always Google it. I think 67 survived to adulthood.

My problem is (apart from the obvious!) I'd never remember their names. As it is I call Mr Aka but the dogs' names, or the GC, etc not that he ever notices.

thatbags Sun 04-May-14 08:47:31

St Catherine of Siena was the 23rd child of her mother. Her mother outlived her too. Tough old birds they were, those who survived all that!

thatbags Sun 04-May-14 08:45:32

Tell your friend thanks from me, roseq smile

I always buy myself a birthday present from me to me too. Started that about twenty years ago.

I bought myself presents after miscarriages as well. One was a Caithness paperweight. Somehow it helps to look at it on the odd occasion when...

thatbags Sun 04-May-14 08:43:18

"A friend said recently that perhaps mums should have a present on DC's birthdays"

Brilliant idea! On it like a bonnet! smile [any excuse] wink

Faye Sat 03-May-14 23:53:23

I often have to go through all of my six grand children's names before I get to the youngest one. I would have been there all day trying to call the last of 69 children. confused

Elegran Sat 03-May-14 23:34:42

The 69 must have been in batches, or she would have had to start at 11 and keep going until she was . . .I can't do the maths, but it would be an unlikely age (I won't say impossible - nothing is impossible.)

rosequartz Sat 03-May-14 23:23:48

shock

Ana Sat 03-May-14 23:23:41

Is she still having them...as we speak? shock grin

Aka Sat 03-May-14 23:19:56

No it's 69 children.

Aka Sat 03-May-14 23:18:49

Isn't the record for number of children born o one woman about 64? A Russian I think.

rosequartz Sat 03-May-14 23:10:50

I think in those days the older ones looked after the younger ones - and they would probably have left home by about 14.

rosequartz Sat 03-May-14 23:08:22

Hurray for contraception is all I can say!
Imagine being pregnant or breastfeeding and coping without modern conveniences for all that time, probably in a very small house.

Elegran Sat 03-May-14 22:53:57

The person who told you it ws impossible sounds like the person who told me I must be mistaken about the seventeen children born to my gt gt gt grandmother. I proved that it was true - the first was born when she was just 18, the seventeenth when she was 45, almost twentyeight years later. That is an average gap of about I year 7 months between them - better timing than some women who had a baby a year.

rosequartz Sat 03-May-14 22:41:06

I told someone once that my great-aunt was born in 1853 and they said that that was impossible. But it is true.
Doesn't time fly!

Elegran Sat 03-May-14 22:01:00

I wasn't exactly an early starter - I was 26.

Which reminds me - next month I shall have been around for three quarters of a century. Doesn't time fly?

Grandmanorm Sat 03-May-14 21:14:52

Elegran my DS will be 50 next year, you are not alone smile

rosequartz Sat 03-May-14 20:57:11

We were late starters, elegran.

Elegran Sat 03-May-14 20:01:01

What young DDs some of you have. My DD1 wil be fifty next year!! I can't believe it!