Gransnet forums

Relationships

What's With This Marriage Business Anyway?

(30 Posts)
daftoldduffer Sun 02-Mar-14 07:19:13

Back in the day when I was beginning to wonder why girls wore different clothes to me, courtship followed a well defined path.
Starting at around age fourteen boys progressed through an average of three girl friends,one after the other.
The first hook- up was a dare I sneak an arm round her affair, confined to a little light smooching with no feely- feely sort of arrangement.
The second was a furtive is she really going to allow me to do this? grope in the back row of the cinema episode, with worrying references to that terrifying marriage thing, a bit too much meeting the parents, followed swiftly by a broken hearted parting of the ways.
The third was serious. A Life changing can't get enough of each other, much late night fumblings on the sofa business.
Ending with an engagement ring, much discussion of babies – principally by her, with a don't quite believe this is happening acquiescence from him, a church wedding with prawn cocktails and a drunken uncle mangling obscene jokes ,then a full lifetime of marriage.
Divorce was a matter for those immoral film star people, desertion an unforgivable scandal, living together without a wedding simply unimaginable Men went to work, women stayed at home, cleaned the house, raised babies, made sure his dinner was on the table when he got home.
And that was it.
I have a strong impression things are rather different nowadays.Though I've not much more than hearsay evidence to rely on.
So far as I can judge the modern miss is just as happy – perhaps more happy – to be asked to move in with a feller as she once would have been by a formal marriage proposal
And that a wedding day is something to anticipate for its Big Day atmosphere than as the forerunner to a shared lifetime.
In fact a shared lifetime of mutual love, future building and babies, once in the forefront of most girl's dreams (not necessarily of the mans) is now something scarcely considered. With both parties entering into the arrangement we used to term 'shacking up'in the clear anticipation that it would only have a limited life.
And the girl, far from plunging eagerly into a lifetime of washing hubby;'s pants expecting to keep her job – increasingly a career equal to that of the man – keep her own residence if at all fiancially possible,indeed keep her own fully independant lifestyle altogether.
As for babies- well, someday maybe. But certainly not soon..
So what of the future? Is longtime co-habitation, with or without the marriage formality , on the verge of disappearing altogether? Except for the handful of exceptions to prove the rule of course.
And those babies, when they do finally appear - what of them? Presumably mother will in the main be the carer.As well as the provider.
But not necessarily. Mother love is not automatic, as I know to my personal cost.
So will we see an expansion of orphanages to cater for the unwanted – those dumped by mum herself because coping with a full time career, housework and motherhood is proving too much, or because the next partner to happen along wants to make a fresh start?
Such tragedies are happening already of course. But maybe we will see a vast expansion Maybe the state will have to provide everything that father once did.
While the dismal present day attempts to winkle out paternity pay is dropped in favour of us all paying more taxes.

rosesarered Mon 24-Mar-14 10:52:31

As the original poster on this thread is older than us, I do see a lot of truth in what he said about married life in the 50's.Also that so many women now want their 'big day' [fairytale wedding-ugh!] as a me me me moment rather than the start of a marrige.I don't think there will be more children in orphanages though, as it seems more women want the children than they do the Fathers of those children [ maybe barracks for unwanted young Fathers?]I think also that this was a fairly lighthearted post, just posing a few what ifs.

petallus Mon 24-Mar-14 10:54:29

I think quality of a relationship should come into it.

'Lasting' isn't everything if one or both parties are wretched.

granjura Mon 24-Mar-14 10:57:26

One thing I really do not get at all- is people who get married again, and again and again??? I know I've been lucky in finding the right man and have a very long-term marriage- and I can understand people getting married again if they lost a partner fairly young, or divorced fairly young.
But 3, 4, 5 times- I don't get it.

Very difficult to imagine how one would react in case of partner's demise- but for me, I don't think I'd ever make that commitment again.

MargaretX Mon 24-Mar-14 11:15:26

granjura you have hit on a vital statistical point here.My experience with women in a refuge was that they married again and again. It is the same people getting divorced and married which drives the statistics up.

As to marrieds and unmarrieds. The unmarrieds are very difficult to catch statistically and can't be compared to marrieds. Once again from the experience in the Womens Refuge it was almost as difficult to get out of an unmarried alliance with children as a married one. ( can only speak for Germany) Men must take responsibility for their children and they are still not doing it 50%

As to working mothers. I was child in wartime and my mother was forced to look for work when I was 4 and went to school. The women made up the civil workforce