Gransnet forums

Relationships

Widowhood.

(508 Posts)
Falconbird Sat 27-Dec-14 11:58:57

This is my third Christmas without my husband and I was really thrown by the fact that I missed him much more than in previous years. I think the initial shock of his sudden passing is wearing off. I have three sons and three lovely grandchildren - but without "my bloke" it seemed very very empty and lonely this year.

sad

bikergran Sat 20-Jun-15 10:42:33

Bluesky that is so very true, my dh was 20 yrs older than me, so yes it was inevitable that he would most likely go first, you would think I had enough yrs to prepare for it wouldn't you! but like you say you try not to dwell on it, even when he had his heart attacks and by pass surgery I never dwelt on it a I was always positive. But! when it did happen and it was not sudden as he had deteriated over the yrs, but when it did, it happen ,it was like someone had ripped you open and tore this big chunk of your heart away, like that jigsaw piece that you have lost forever, you keep searching for it over and over again but you can never find it.

Bluesky can I ask how long it is for you?

Durhamjen I cannot listen to much music yet, I did make myself go line dancing again the other night, but none of the music they play reminds me of anything so I am "safe" there. smile

Falconbird Sat 20-Jun-15 07:18:42

Ah durhamjen - the song that always makes me cry is "Now I'm a believer" and "The way we were." flowers for all widows.

BlueSky Sat 20-Jun-15 00:03:40

We are aware that in marriage one or the other will sadly die first. We know this from day one but rarely dwell on it. When it happens it's a big shock whether you have been together for 5 or 50 years. Children and grandchildren help but they are not your partner, eventually you learn to live with it, but it is hard, so very hard...

nannieroz111 Fri 19-Jun-15 21:31:27

If only there was a switch we widows could flick when it all gets just a bit too much sad

durhamjen Fri 19-Jun-15 21:17:43

But then I would not be sitting here with tears rolling down my face having listened to Willie Nelson singing You were always on my mind.

bikergran Fri 19-Jun-15 12:56:52

ohh lol durhamjen if only we had minds like children...smile

durhamjen Thu 18-Jun-15 22:22:59

My grandson's and youngest granddaughter's cat was run over a few weeks ago.
My grandson says every day that Misty will be happy with grandad, won't she? Hope that grandad likes cats now; he never did before!

Galen Thu 18-Jun-15 21:53:50

I thought it was getting easier, but today I'm not sure!

Falconbird Thu 18-Jun-15 12:39:56

That's one of the things I find hard about being a widow - I can't blame anyone else.

The crumbs on the worktop were left there by me.

I left the tap running all night in the bathroom (my gas bill!!)

I left the jar of marmalade with the top off and it must have been me who accidentally threw away my favourite purple top. confused

bikergran Thu 18-Jun-15 11:44:26

think I need to take my tablets! I have just opened the fridge to get the butter out and found the "sellotape" in there ! confused

nannieroz111 Thu 18-Jun-15 11:34:01

Still trying to get used to this new life that none of us chose......but thanks to GN and some special GN's (you know who you are!!!!!) I manage to get through most days. smile

bikergran Thu 18-Jun-15 11:21:52

Just thought I would give this thread a nudge as I know that it is coming up to anniversary time for many of you (me included)

I myself just cannot believe it will be 12 months in around 2 weeks time since my dh left this world, and I will never ever forget the messages from so many GNetters, all the lovely people I will never meet (maybe some I may l have chance to meet in time) smile

Things for me have remained at standstill, although that will be changing soon. (watch this space)! hmm

to all you widows new or old... keep strong

It was great having "a virtual party again" and joining in...carry on the good work smile

bikergran Tue 05-May-15 13:59:54

Hello nannier I'm surprised to see you up and about so early! after last night hmm

Oh! and by the way! I happen to spot "Randolph" with one of his legs caught on a branch, very near the bushes that were rustling last night hmm cough! I ran over to him , but!! a sudden burst of howling wind came from no where..........it must have caught him by surprise, before I could reach him! he was off! twirling around like a deflating balloon...my last sighting of him was over the turrets at Tintergel castle shock heading towards the coast! (mind you I cant' say I'm sad, he never uttered a word, just sat there staring at the tv all night) ahh well, plenty more "Randolphs" on the beach smile

nannieroz111 Tue 05-May-15 12:45:45

Hi GNetters....... I've had a rather busy morning, but just popped in to say how much I enjoyed last nights party. Honestly, I laughed out loud several times. Trust everyone has recovered. (and don't ask what Randolph and I were doing in the bushes!) blush

bikergran Tue 05-May-15 10:11:26

oh heck Falcon it could be something simple like guttering etc, I'm presuming he will try and find the source of the damp at the same time.

Gosh it's boring getting back to reality confused it's absolutely pelting down here and I wanted to get out today grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

Time for another brew and a think !

Falconbird Tue 05-May-15 09:48:50

Hi Biker,

Same here - just discovered damp in my ensuite. I was so fed up because it's a relatively new flat. cazthebook work just cheered me up on the "tips for getting old" thread. She said life is 10% what happens and 90% how you deal with it - so I've got a damp treatment bloke coming this week.

You doing OK Biker??

bikergran Tue 05-May-15 09:37:57

Phewwww....thought I would pop in here for a bit of sanctuary, peace and quiet ............. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........

bikergran Sat 02-May-15 20:42:54

Falcon great stuff, now then! bed early tomorrow..... hope nannieroz won't be staying up till the late hours watching them! films again

bikergran Sat 02-May-15 20:41:08

oh nannieroz I will be , I will be..grin just stick by me..you will be influenced badly...shock Vodka Jeliies are deeeeelicious very alcoholic grin

Falconbird Sat 02-May-15 17:35:28

Back again, temporary glich on the old laptop. smile

nannieroz111 Sat 02-May-15 17:30:23

Phew!!!!!!! found my broomstick. I thought for a while there that I would miss the rave up party. So looking forward to vodka jellies. (I've never tried them before). Hope you're going to be a bad influence on me biker.

bikergran Sat 02-May-15 17:18:21

oh nooooo....Falcon shock give it a tap, turn it upside down, blow on! anything! ! we need you at the party with Rick Wakeman!

Falconbird Sat 02-May-15 15:13:57

Hope I can join in. My lap top has chosen just the wrong time to go dodgy.

bikergran Sat 02-May-15 13:24:50

slapping thighs with "Excitement" and trepidation hmm good gal Galen ........>>>>>>>> walks runs off to find thread!

Galen Sat 02-May-15 11:28:13

Right, I'm going to open the thread