Gransnet forums

Relationships

Real life people who believe whoever they happen to be listening to

(17 Posts)
soontobe Thu 23-Apr-15 10:57:42

I know a person who believes whoever happens to bend her ear.

I dont quite understand that situation. [I have also noticed that it seems to happen to some people who then become estranged to others around them].

Anyone have any ideas as to why this happens?

Soutra Thu 23-Apr-15 11:58:19

Can you explain why this is an issue? Some people are gullible/easily influenced/insecure / too polite to disagree or risk an argument.

Seems simple enough confused

You also get "virtual" types who creep agree to everybody's point of view on forums not a million miles from this one hmm

soontobe Thu 23-Apr-15 12:17:10

It is an issue because it affects people.

On the estrangement thread, it has been happening to gransnetters on there.
I too, know someone who does this.
Even your answers above have helped me Soutra.

Why are some people easily influenced?
The person I know about comes from a large family.
It has now led me to wonder whether, because she was hearing some many differnet opinions daily, that she ended up not knowing who to believe.

Soutra Thu 23-Apr-15 12:20:10

No, I would be tempted to say precisely the opposite!
Hearing a wide range of opinions should open a person's mind to different possibilities, but making up your own mind or having the courage of your convictions says more about a person's strength of character. (IMHO)

Elegran Thu 23-Apr-15 12:36:44

Choice is a luxury, but it is not an easy option.

It is like shopping for new clothes, - if you go where the choice is only between a garish yellow and red top or a hideous purple and green one, you might end up with one or other of them. You would have a top - but it might not be the right one for you.

If you go where there are racks and racks of tops in many colours and styles, you are more likely to get one which is exactly right - but it will take some time to look at them all and make a decision.

The easy way is to take the first one that fits. The same is true of opinions - if you only absorb the first thing that you hear, you have saved yourself a lot of thought, but that doesn't mean you are right.

It is said that "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" The price of having a brain to think with is that it does have to be used to be any use.

Agus Thu 23-Apr-15 12:51:57

Elegran, your last sentence, in a nut shell, 'no pun intended', says it all grin. Excellent.

soontobe Thu 23-Apr-15 13:00:03

Your post makes a lot of sense Elegran.

rubylady Thu 23-Apr-15 13:39:31

I agree with you Soutra and Elegran. My son tries to beat me down with his knowledge and point of view, but it does not work and I have started to say that we should agree to differ as a debate is beginning to start arguments and I refuse to get into arguments about my point of view. My family have debated since I can remember and it is one of our traits which I admire but to debate instead of arguing is what should be done and respect that different people, even in the same family, can have a different point of view.

I have however, wound him up about who I have voted for. Besides, it really is none of his business. Or is it? Do you tell your family who you vote for?

Iam64 Thu 23-Apr-15 14:02:37

I can't imagine not talking with my loved ones about who is voting what. It's interesting!

rubylady Thu 23-Apr-15 14:33:13

My son turns 18 on the 21st of next month. He is gutted he won't get to vote. Out by two weeks.

rosesarered Thu 23-Apr-15 14:37:32

Only if you can have a balanced discussion Iam64. Sometimes it's better to engage with strangers to loved ones about either politics or religion!
Soontobe, I do know what you mean, and I know somebody who believes everything she reads in a certain newspaper, treats it like Gospel.The best thing is to think yourself about things, listen, read, and then decide, but be open to new arguements as well.

absent Thu 23-Apr-15 16:57:48

Real life people?

soontobe Thu 23-Apr-15 17:00:24

Yes, because of the present hoo haa that there has been, I wanted to make it clear that I wasnt talking about anyone on gransnet.

Smileless2012 Thu 23-Apr-15 23:18:29

hmmthat's interesting Soutra you put in your last post about people having the courage of their convictions being a sign of the strength of their character, yet in your previous post when referring to "virtual types who agree to everybody's point of view on forums not a million miles from this one", you crossed out the word creep and substituted it for agree.

Soutra Thu 23-Apr-15 23:29:31

Quite deliberately Smileless! If I had wanted to substitute another word completely, I would have deleted the former. By leaving the first word "struck through" I said exactly what I meant to say.

Anne58 Thu 23-Apr-15 23:35:01

I must admit that I do get irritated by people who say "I will vote xxxxx because that's what my parent's always voted" ! For Gods sake get a life and make it your own.

ninathenana Thu 23-Apr-15 23:50:26

DH and I don't discuss politics. As I told the Labour candidate at my door last week "I have no idea who he's going to vote for"