Gransnet forums

Relationships

Damned if we do ...

(27 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Sun 17-Jan-16 11:47:32

We had a lovely family dinner last night where the subject of DH and I moving came up . We are considering a move about an hour away to downsize to a cheaper property and free up some capital. We ended up in this part of the world by default after military service and both our DDs and family live close.

Our youngest DD is struggling with our decision. She doesn't drive ( having failed 7 tests so that's not happening any time in the near future) and she visits us 2/3 times a week for an afternoon. I have a special relationship with her eldest son ( he's 4) and he considers our house his house. He often asks his Mummy to call us after pre school so he can come and visit.

She's worried that it will all change - which it will obviously.We've talked about how we can keep in touch , with us coming down or them coming to us and how we will have the boys for longer periods in the holidays instead of just an overnight but she is really inconsolable.

Our eldest DD is far more pragmatic, her children are at school and with after school activities etc we only see them once or twice a month.She drives, has a large circle of friends and is far less reliant on us.

Is this a recipe for disaster? Are we crazy to have a close relationship with our DDs and DGc and be risking it all by moving away? Has anyone experienced a move away from their families and how did it go?

Id appreciate hearing both your thoughts and your experiences.

petra Mon 18-Jan-16 20:57:09

I moved back to this country when the DGC came along, so it's no good asking me.

Re, the driving test. I don't know if a Doctor would still prescribe them, but way back many years when I took my 3rd test I asked my Dr for Beta blockers. I told him what for and that I had read about them.
He gave them to me and I passed.