Gransnet forums

Relationships

Devastated Brexit means family moving away to Canada

(34 Posts)
trueblue22 Fri 24-Jun-16 20:18:49

My SIL's job is dependent on being in Europe; he deals in Euro bonds. He was originally from Canada and only stayed in London/UK because of his job and had married my daughter.

I am very close to my only 2 year old GS- am the only official babysitter- and my DD has only recently become pregnant again.

They now say they will have to move to Canada. Which is completely the right thing to do for them, but I'm so sad today that they will move to another country. My DH is retired and spends most of his time gardening and looking after our dog. He's not as close to our GS and I find him becoming more insular and crusty.

I know many families live far afield and all say one gets used to it. Do they really cope with these distanes and how can the GC continue to have a close relationship with GPs living so far and whom they see so infrequently?

granjura Sun 26-Jun-16 21:47:07

ooops! collar - of course (but yes... hmmm)

kaTeyJ71 Fri 05-Aug-16 19:15:00

A number of traders are being relocated from London to France, as it is not possible for them to trade outside the E.U. They're going now due to tax laws and to ensure continuation. I do myself no favours with this, but well, if you can ........ Leave. Within two years, no amount of printing funny money will be any good. We need to restructure our plans. Or we'll be Greece, with junk bonds. This isn't 1970, or 1980. The exodus from the Middle East and Northern Africa and the uncontrolled influx from Northern and Eastern Europe was the problem. Baby out with the baby water? That may be a dreadful understatement. We need to identify the things we want and need. By the way, many other countries think we have had some kind of national and utterly bizarre breakdown.

Smileless2012 Fri 05-Aug-16 20:43:33

We won't be Greece because we've voted to leave the EU. Greece's problems are due to their own mismanagement and the way they've been mismanaged by the European Union.

Haven't we identified the things we want and need by having the referendum in the first place? Maybe some countries do think "we have had some kind of national and utterly bizarre breakdown" but it's still very early days and at least we now have some measure of control. I bet the Greeks wish they had some.

Chilledlady Fri 05-Aug-16 22:32:07

I just came across this thread, having just joined Gransnet while looking for a birthday cake recipe! My son and his family lived in Bangkok for five years and my grandchildren were born there. They are now in Copenhagen. My daughter emigrated to Toronto and married a Canadian. My husband and I have rearranged our retired lives and make several trips a year to catch up with them and take time out to visit parts of the world that we might not have thought of previously. I love my holidays and the freedom I have now. However, it does not make up for not being able to call round to visit, or to invite them to dinner, or offer babysitting. I miss them like crazy and some days are better than others. Just wish them well, trueblue22 and enjoy your visits. smile

durhamjen Fri 05-Aug-16 23:42:53

Why is it wrong to pin it on Brexit, jingl?
If we hadn't voted for Brexit, it wouldn't be happening.

Ginny42 Sat 06-Aug-16 05:21:59

If your family move to Canada as others have said, there are now so many ways of staying in touch daily and if you can afford to holiday there, so much the better. You have my commiserations that this is happening to your family.

We are now beginning to see the true effects of the Brexit vote as it impacts on ordinary families with companies and banks planning relocation, seeking to secure their profits.

We lost the manufacturing base over the years, with British companies setting up overseas and cheap imports putting British manufacturers out of business. There is a mammoth task ahead to re-estabish manufacturing.

Many British investors are complicit in these companies moving away because they are anxious to maintain/increase profits and they don't care about the human impact on families. My family is affected greatly already too, as my daughter and family live in Europe and she works for an English company and is paid in sterling into an English bank. Her job relies on sales of books from England to Europe and her employers are very concerned about how this will work out for all concerned and whether the company can survive. They employ hundreds both in England and throughout Europe. As I said, the impact on families is only just beginning to bite.

trisher Sat 06-Aug-16 09:38:58

true you must be devastated, just the thought of having my GCs moved so far away makes me shiver. Yes I know that there are lots of GNs whose GCs are a long distance away, but that doesn't make each case difficult and emotional and it must be hard to have been so close and then to see it taken away.I hope you adjust and build good long-distance ties.
I don't see why this shouldn't be blamed on Brexit. A lot of lives will change because of this stupid decision. Nissan in the NE are warning they will not follow through with planned expansion.Yet more suffering.

Anniebach Sat 06-Aug-16 10:19:42

And I am thinking how difficult I will find it when my youngest grandchild starts in university next year joining her brother and sister 50 miles away from me . If it were Canada I would be devasted