Gransnet forums

Relationships

Persuading husband to move house

(32 Posts)
j00ls312 Tue 12-Jul-16 19:00:16

Hello everyone I would really appreciate some advice. My parents, both in their eighties, retired to the seaside some years ago. When they first moved they were both fit and healthy but now not so much. I am an only child and I really need to be there with them, not just an occasional visit. I just can't get my husband to move, it's becoming quite an issue and I really feel that it could end up in us splitting after 36 years. Any advice gratefully appreciated

j00ls312 Wed 13-Jul-16 17:34:54

Thanks everyone for the input. A bit more background- my husband's parents had both passed away by the time he was seventeen so he has always treated my mum and dad as his. We had agreed to move ages ago it makes total sense, houses in their area are cheaper, due to the nature of his work he can work from anywhere and we both like the area. I think my original post was a bit histrionic....but I can't make him get motivated and get the house up straight to sell, and Ijust feel as if the clock is ticking and it is INFURIATING me

muswellblue Wed 13-Jul-16 17:48:01

Is there a possibility of moving your parents nearer to you? 7 years ago we moved ours to a flat 10 miles from us from their bungalow in the New Forest. My father was 90 and mother 87 and he really did not want to move. However within 6 months he was saying it was the best thing he ever did. Last Autumn at the ages of 72 (me) and 78(OH) we bought a flat in the same complex as my parents ourselves!

My father passed away in April and Mum is on her own now but we are on hand and it is working very well. Our flat is quite big and we have plenty of room for family to stay but we don't have to worry about the garden any more. We love it. Best of both worlds.

Jalima Wed 13-Jul-16 18:21:23

I can't make him get motivated and get the house up straight to sell, and Ijust feel as if the clock is ticking and it is INFURIATING me
we don't have elderly parents to care for any more (I suppose we are the elderly parents now!).
I would like to downsize but DH does not want to be motivated to do so on any account.
INFURIATING is the right word j00ls
(although if I could find somewhere we both liked he may be tempted, but that is proving difficult)

Smileless2012 Wed 13-Jul-16 18:53:50

Don't lose heart Jalima, if you saw my earlier post you'll know I thought we'd found our new home but it wasn't meant to be.

Less than 24 hours after withdrawing from the house I've been dreaming of for months we found another one. A better one, better because Mr. S. loves it and I known we'll be happy there.

I hope it happens for you too.

Jalima Wed 13-Jul-16 20:13:36

Oh, thanks Smileless
We like it where we are but I know we need to downsize and have a smaller garden.
smile

EmilyHarburn Thu 14-Jul-16 15:08:59

I do not think you should be moving. You and your husband have your lives with your friends and activities in your locality.

Your parents choose to move. If they need your help they could move back to your area into sheltered housing and that would allow you to visit regularly.

If they are not going to move, as others have said, visit once a month and check they have each element of a care package that they need and that you have all the telephone numbers so if your parents ring for help you know who is the local person to deal with the problem

all the best.