Gransnet forums

Relationships

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 24-Nov-16 16:55:58

In-laws - love them or loathe them?

Family relationships can be incredibly difficult to navigate, but introduce in-laws to the mix and they often get that little bit trickier... Author Ann Richardson shares her thoughts on this age-old way of gaining family members.

Ann Richardson

In-laws - love them or loathe them?

Posted on: Thu 24-Nov-16 16:55:58

(83 comments )

Lead photo

Do you have in-laws...or outlaws?

Something very strange happens when you get married. And then again when your kids get married. You acquire in-laws. It can even happen if you or they are simply involved in a close partnership.

You suddenly have a lot of new people in your 'family' who you didn't choose, but who you're supposed to be friendly with. There are their parents, sisters and brothers, and their spouses and on and on.

And we all know it can cause a lot of problems.

Of course there are some who just love their in-laws. I know a woman who insisted that her daughter-in-law should be known as her 'daughter-in-love' from the very beginning. How lovely for everyone.

I also know people who go on holiday with the whole extended family – children, their spouses, and loads of grandchildren. Some do it every year. They are very lucky to get on so well.

More frequently, we just cope. It is hard enough with the parents-in-law, not to mention other members of the family. But somehow, we usually learn how to manage. We work out what foods they eat when they come for dinner, what subjects you should avoid in conversations and, best of all, what interests you have in common.

They may not have your ideas about how to feed them, play with them or what to buy as presents. They may have loads of rules, when you believe in freedom, or vice versa.

Sometimes, they live nearby and you end up seeing each other frequently. Sometimes, everyone does their best to see each other as little as possible.

But when the grandchildren come along, it is a whole different story. If you want to see the grandchildren, the son or daughter-in-law comes too. It is part of the package.

If it is your son's baby, especially, it is hard to avoid his or her mother.

Of course, a baby can be just the thing to cement relationships. You share the love of this new being and that papers over a whole lot of cracks. Indeed, you may well be very impressed with how your son or daughter-in-law handles their new baby, improving your relationship with each other and making your time together even more agreeable.

Yet this is also where the greatest problems can arise. You go to visit the new baby or, later, the growing children, and however much you love the grandkids, you may not agree with their parents' ideas about how to bring them up. Often it is the daughter- or son-in-law whose ideas are the most divergent from your own.

They may not have your ideas about how to feed them, play with them or what to buy as presents. They may have loads of rules, when you believe in freedom, or vice versa.

And you might be tempted to give advice, but do not want to be irritating. 'Every new granny should be issued with a zip', one friend said, and it is true.

Who says being a granny is always easy?

Ann's most recent book is Celebrating Grandmothers: grandmothers talk about their lives, which is published by New Generation and available from Amazon, and you can find out more about Ann on her website.

By Ann Richardson

Twitter: @CelebratingGran

Mair Sun 05-Feb-17 23:18:24

That's interesting strugs and a few things you have filled in about the background to this suggest some various dynamics going on, which makes me feel it's not really your DIL who is blameworthy and responsible for your feeling left out.

Firstly you seem to have been very diffident in expressing your feelings to your son "a bit left out" when it seems youre actually really very upset. But your son did respond to this, albeit clumsily, and your DIL reciprocated, even though I think the majority of DILS would not want to be tied into seeing their MIL every week. Where there is a higher frequency of contact it's very often because the MIL is doing childcare for them, not because the DIL is just calling for a chat. It seems as though your son wasnt even involved in these contacts so the responsibility is falling to DIL. Could he facilitate contact by calling in at the weekend with the GD taking the burden off her?

The other thing is that MatGM seems like a very forceful character, probably worried that because they are so far away and you near that she risks being upstaged by you! You do after all see GD in RL with greater frequency than MatGM even though your time spent with her is less!

I wonder if in fact MatGM wasnt so obsessed and clingy, would you be happier? It may be that MatGM is even more involved than DIL really wants her to be but DIL loves her parents and doesn't want to upset her. Staying for so long and every month does sound excessive. It may reduce though when MatGM has other GCs, and DILs DCs get a bit older. Will they even have room to put them up for so long when they have two?

So ways of dealing. You could accept that seeing your GD once a fortnight, while not as often as you like , is still far more frequent than most GPs who live further away see their GCs. Your GD is happy coming to your house, and she doesnt have big gaps in which to become shy and more distant, congratulate yourself on your good relationship and enjoy it, viewing desperately clingy matgran as that and don't try to be like her. GD is not necessarily going to prefer her for it, in fact as she gets older she may even find the over frequent visits annoying as may your son, and he might put a stop to some of them.

You could ask your son to bring GD over, or invite the whole family over at the weekend for lunch occasionally. Your son needs to take responsibility for facilitating your contact by involving himself I think, not bulldozing his wife into scheduling you in when she is alone at home.

Lastly since so many local PatGrans who do have a lot of contact do so through childcare, would this be an option for you? Making yourself a useful unpaid carer is more likely to raise your value to DIL. You said she works part time, well would you be up for caring for the GD one of those days, saving them nursery fees? Do you offer evening babysitting so they can have a night out? Its not much fun in that GD is going to be in bed but youd probably get to go round a little early and do the bedtime story. Its also a way to see the whole family and get to know DIL better.

It would be interesting to see if any comments come from PatGrans who have been able to improve contact and relationship with DILs from a weak base. So often theyve either been lucky and hit it off and seem a bit smug about it or theyre feeling very cut out and annoyed with DIL.

Araabra Mon 06-Feb-17 00:28:26

Funny title, that. Loathe the in-laws! grin

tinaf1 Mon 06-Feb-17 00:56:26

Why is it funny confused

Araabra Mon 06-Feb-17 01:03:56

Oh, the reasons thrown around for loathing, bizarre theories.

tinaf1 Mon 06-Feb-17 08:11:05

confused

Smetterling Tue 21-Feb-17 03:11:31

My ex mum in law passed away at the beginning of the month. I was married to her son for 17 years and she was a true and loving friend for 45. Best thing I did divorcing the son but keeping his mum x

Smileless2012 Sat 25-Feb-17 11:54:58

What a lovely post Smetterlingflowers.

Rosepug Sun 26-Feb-17 06:37:25

Loathe them.

BBbevan Sun 26-Feb-17 06:59:29

I loved my MiL. She was gentle, refined and very intelligent. My FiL,I was wary of. He was a bit touchy feely , if you get my meaning. So I never stayed alone with him if I could help it.

Smetterling Sun 26-Feb-17 13:39:33

Thank you Smileless2012 - I so miss her ?

Megs36 Tue 28-Feb-17 11:04:58

Didn't get on too well with my MIL and when I became one I suddenly realised what a b....h I'd been sometimes and vowed to try to be different and learn from what I'd considered had been her mistakes. If you have sons and they marry mostly you'll come second to her parents so you have to work at it. I have 2 DILS and couldn't have chosen better myself, I know I will never be their MUM but try to be the best I can. This applies to their families too and we all include each other in family dos as much as possible as much for our mutual GC as for ourselvvves. Trouble is mostly we don't learn from our own mistakes until it's too late. ...

Sarahlou Tue 25-Apr-17 07:14:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sarahlou Tue 25-Apr-17 07:25:30

thatbags Mon 01-May-17 15:54:28

thatbags Mon 01-May-17 15:56:51

Whhoops! Sorry, wrong thread. I've asked for it to be removed.

Eloethan Mon 01-May-17 19:26:55

I loved my in-laws from the moment I met them - but they lived overseas and I rarely saw them so perhaps it would have been a little more problematic if we'd had more contact. They're both dead now and I remember them with great affection.

Nicky7of7 Sat 06-May-17 12:29:07

I really sympathise with you. I have one just like that too and find it so hard! Just bite my tongue and try to smile otherwise I won't get to see my son at all!

Norah Sat 06-May-17 15:21:20

I like my 4 SiL, nice men. I am, by nature, reticent. It's lovely to visit and send them all home.smile

jessica881 Fri 28-Jul-17 11:03:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Maggiemaybe Fri 28-Jul-17 11:14:35

Well, this is fun. Reported.

WendyS Sun 10-Sep-17 05:03:36

suzied AWESOME joke.

Reminds me of the joke " what's the difference between in laws and outlaws? " - outlaws are wanted!

WendyS Sun 10-Sep-17 07:22:41

Loathe, I wouldn't cross the street to throw water if they were on fire.

mumofmadboys Sun 10-Sep-17 08:38:46

That's a terrible thing to say/ think wendy.

Serkeen Sun 10-Sep-17 10:05:59

Loathe them is a strong word. Not get on with them, Not your kind of people, Yes.

But for the sake of the rest of the family IMHO you need to put up and shut up

angmhay Thu 19-Oct-17 17:04:09

Sounds exactly like my situation?