Gransnet forums

Relationships

enduring power of attorney problems

(20 Posts)
Charleygirl Sun 08-Jan-17 14:36:33

My LPA for finance as well as Health and Welfare is winging its way through the courts at present. It should be ready any time soon for my last signature. My mind will be at rest.

Lovey Sun 08-Jan-17 14:23:50

Is mum competent?

Jayanna9040 Fri 23-Dec-16 10:25:23

Did finance and health ages ago. I'm on the mission with you Anya!

Anya Fri 23-Dec-16 10:21:35

Go for it!!

MiniMouse Fri 23-Dec-16 10:15:16

Would never ignore you Anya!! Your point about the health side of it is so important and I'm tchblush to admit that we haven't done that part yet . . . (hangs head in shame) New Year Resolution? tchwink

Newquay Fri 23-Dec-16 08:20:10

I think I would be tempted to speak to GC who is receiving this money and/or their parent(s) if poss to find out what's going on!

Anya Fri 23-Dec-16 07:14:03

Ignore me mini I'm on a mission to get people to remember to take out a LPA for Health &a Welfare!! Too many just think of the finance aspect and forget the (IMO) more important one.

tchsmile

MiniMouse Thu 22-Dec-16 23:48:58

That was to annieg not you Anya! She might not be aware.

Anya Thu 22-Dec-16 19:20:35

I'm aware of that Mini and I think they only covered financial affairs.

MiniMouse Thu 22-Dec-16 18:08:45

If the EPA was made and signed before 1st October 2007 it is still valid (Age UK)

Anya Thu 22-Dec-16 17:41:03

And EPOs are the old version. The up-to-date ones are LPAs.

Anya Thu 22-Dec-16 17:40:03

Registering PoA with the Office of the Public Guardian is just that. Your mother can change it at any time and smileless is correct in that it can only be set up with the permission of the person.

Plus ONLY if a doctor agrees your mother is incompetent to manage her affairs can you then apply for the PoA to be activated.

Smileless2012 Thu 22-Dec-16 17:03:50

I'm a littletchconfusedHilltopgran and an E.P.O.A. can only be set up with the consent of the person it's put in place for.

M0nica Tue 20-Dec-16 11:26:44

If she is in her right mind, she can do anything she likes with her money, fair or unfair, whether you like it or not.

If that sounds brutal it is because that is the legal position, regardless of the honesty or otherwise of the recipient and regardless of whether she impoverishes herself by doing so or not.

Hilltopgran Tue 20-Dec-16 00:55:32

We registered the EPOA my Mother had put in place when we realised she was not managing her money well, she surcomed to pressure from people outside the family and lost a lot of money. To a casual observer they would not have thought she had a problem, but she did have Altzehimers, Mum was not happy that we registered the Pof A but it was in her interest. OP suggest you take advice if you are concerned, often the ability to understand consequences is one of the first senses affected by dementia, being unable to understand why you are concerned and fixated sounds wrong. I would also be concerned how a GC has persuaded an older person to part with a large amount when they can not afford it, it could be seen as financial abuse.

Anya Mon 19-Dec-16 22:20:29

Agree with above.

Luckygirl Mon 19-Dec-16 21:31:40

I am assuming that your mother has mental capacity. The fact that she is taking an action that you disagree with does not mean she has lost capacity and the power of attorney has no relevance at this point.

janeainsworth Mon 19-Dec-16 21:27:18

Your enduring power of attorney only comes into effect when your mother no longer has capacity to make decisions and act in her own behalf.
She may be acting unfairly or even in your opinion irrationally but that doesn't mean that legally she isn't capable and that she can't do as she wishes.
However if you have other evidence that she may be becoming incapable you should consult a solicitor about activating the PoA through the Court of Protection. But I think this wouldn't be done without very good evidence that it would be in your mother's best interests.

annieg Mon 19-Dec-16 21:22:22

does anyone have a reply

annieg Mon 19-Dec-16 21:17:10

My mother has 11 grandchildren, I have e.d.p.a as per the subject title.
She is giving £100 per month to a grandchild to supposedly help with a deposit on a house - which I find untrue on the grandchilds side.My mother does not have enough money for a funeral.
When I have asked her about this she has said it is her money and it is up to her. I have trie to make her realise she is being biased , but she has threatened to cancel the power of attorney. I have 1 child with 2 grandchildren and am not asking for anything on our account, but this is not rational on any level, and unfair to all the other granchildren- it is favouritism