Gransnet forums

Relationships

Moving

(72 Posts)
flamenco Fri 06-Jan-17 10:43:35

Am I being unreasonable? My partner of eight years has decided we should move to his home town Newcastle. When I first met him I said that I couldn't live up there, he agreed it was very cold and he didn't want to go there either, until now! I have said I don't want to go. My daughters live in Australia my son outside Manchester. My brother cousin old friends all live in the South, I know nobody up there, and I really don't like it and can find no positives. We have a tiny place in Spain and live there for some weeks of the year. We are no longer young and the thought of moving so far north scares me quite a lot.

Anya Fri 06-Jan-17 15:42:54

Gill'is that true?

Ana Fri 06-Jan-17 15:48:25

Is your OH not a tie then, wot?

Carol1ne63 Fri 06-Jan-17 15:57:16

I'd be scared of moving, too. The thought of packing, organising, upping sticks and getting to know a new set of people. It makes me feel stressed just thinking about it!
If OH is getting homesick can't you just do some holidays there to get it out of his system?
On the other hand, if you did some short holidays and came across somewhere that you did like the look of then perhaps upping sticks would seem so scary after all. Sometimes it's the thought of change that sends us into a flying panic - well, I know it is in my case. Best of luck, whatever you decide.

Granof11 Fri 06-Jan-17 16:02:05

Flamenco: I do understand your unwillingness to move but if after discussion it turns out that you are going to give it a try let me reassure you.

Some years ago my daughter who lived there at the time became very ill. I had to fly over and back constantly to be with her for a period of time both when she was hospitalised and later when she returned to her home. Let me at once say that I have never, before or since, experienced such delightful and helpful people from the taxi drivers taking me from the airport, right through to her colleagues, neighbours and hospital staff. She eventually recovered and has gone on to have a very successful life.

To this day I love to hear the Newcastle accent. As far as I am concerned, they are the best.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

TriciaF Fri 06-Jan-17 16:21:28

Thankyou Granof11 smile.

wot Fri 06-Jan-17 16:23:56

Ana, he would come with me. I couldn't ditch him. hey! Would you like him for six months and see how you get on?! ? I'd also like to be nearer doctors, hospitals and the like. We are out in the sticks here. Going mad because we've stopped smoking.....got to boast about that!!

Ana Fri 06-Jan-17 16:29:51

No thanks, I lost my own just over 2 years ago and wouldn't want another one now - you hang on to him! smile

wot Fri 06-Jan-17 16:31:40

Okay!! I've realised he's not too bad. And I would miss the old curmudgeon. Sorry about your husband. X

Ana Fri 06-Jan-17 16:34:55

That's OK wot - they all have their good and bad points, I'm sure! grin

gillybob Fri 06-Jan-17 16:41:56

I live right on that "clean lovely coastline" TriciaF in fact I can see the sea from my upstairs windows. smile

Was that photograph taken in Newcastle this afternoon janeainsworth ? It is quite wet today although, (as you know and despite what most people believe) we have had very little rain this winter.

....and all the women talk like Sarah Millican too Anya well at least I do grin

Fairydoll2030 Fri 06-Jan-17 16:44:16

The one and only time I went to Newcastle was in 1965 with my then husband who was a Geordie. Had never met his family as we had married abroad. Could not understand his dad's accent and his sisters called me a 'snob from London in posh clothes.' We had to sleep on the floor of his dads house as there wasn't a bed for us. My ex said his dad would be offended if we stayed in a hotel. AND they kept coal in the bath. We only stayed one night. On return to the South I was ill for two weeks with a dreadful cold.

I hear things have changed. (Runs for cover)

gillybob Fri 06-Jan-17 16:48:44

Not too much Fairydoll2030 as I have had a horrible cold and a cough for over a week now shock

Ana Fri 06-Jan-17 16:50:29

I've never actually heard of anyone keeping coal in the bath!!! shock

I thought that was a myth...

Ana Fri 06-Jan-17 16:51:46

(why on earth would you keep it in the bath? They must have had a back yard, even if not a coal shed or garden)

MiniMouse Fri 06-Jan-17 16:53:09

Flamenco When did your OH last visit Newcastle? Is he, perhaps, seeing it through rose-tinted glasses? It's changed a lot over the years and may no longer be what he thinks it is. Could you go for a few days just to see the lie of the land?

wot Fri 06-Jan-17 16:54:25

Under t'stairs!

gillybob Fri 06-Jan-17 17:00:22

I think that might be a Yorkshire saying, not Geordie wot confused

Believe it or not, here, we just say "under the stairs" smile

gillybob Fri 06-Jan-17 17:01:48

Although come to think of it my DH is from Bradford/Haworth and he says "under the stairs" too.

Ana Fri 06-Jan-17 17:06:49

But surely that's not where you keep your coal, gillybob? grin

wot Fri 06-Jan-17 17:13:10

Well, I'll go the the foot of our stairs!!!?

gillybob Fri 06-Jan-17 17:16:58

Of course I don't keep my coal under the stairs Ana I tend to go down to the beach every morning with an old bucket and pick up the bits that have dredged up from the sea.

Anyway my whippet lives under the stairs. grin

Ana Fri 06-Jan-17 17:18:33

Ha, ha - yes, just testing gillybob! grin

janeainsworth Fri 06-Jan-17 17:31:17

Yes gilly taken this afternoon. A grim, sunless day grin
Thank you for your concern kitty I'll let you know when the rations run out grin

pensionpat Fri 06-Jan-17 17:33:19

I too read that story of Peter Mandelson. Hilarious!

moomin Fri 06-Jan-17 17:38:00

Aye, it's certainly grim up North! And the River Tyne is quite disgusting