Gransnet forums

Relationships

Elderly Mothers

(6 Posts)
whereamI555 Tue 28-Feb-17 18:07:12

My mother is 90 next month. She hasn't spoken to me for over 2 years. She is someone who would have an argument in an empty room. She has fallen out with her family, neighbours and friends over many times through the years. She is a stubborn woman who takes people for granted, especially me. Since my father died nearly 20 years ago I have helped her with all her problems and finances. She has had poor education in her school days due to the war. She also has dyslexia and that is why she has relied on me a lot with her paperwork. I have never refused to help her nor my husband whenever she needed help in her home with maintenance. Her recent falling out was because I was not giving her enough attention when her kitchen sink tap kept leaking and my husband could not sort it out because his mother of 93 was near the point of dying and he needed to be there for her in hospital. I cannot drive so I was unable to visit my mother for quite some time. Trying to explain to her on the phone about my mother-in-law being near death did not bother her at all and I was given a mouthful and then she put the phone down on me, that was the last we spoke. Last year I sent her cards for Mothers Day and her birthday. There was not response. She ignored my birthday last year. To be honest it has affected my health and my counsellor told me she has been a toxic influence all my life, and I should let her go and live my life. It is hard having a mother who you known has not been loving from when I was little. So why do I still feel guilty.sad

Ankers Tue 28-Feb-17 18:26:31

Do you think she has loved you? A bit of a painful question to ask, but sometimes I wonder if such "types" of people do actually love others, but they put themselves so high up in importance[sounds like her nose was severly put out of joint when in her eyes, your inlaws quite rightly came first on that occasion], that it effectively silences other parts of themselves? sad for you.

I suppose feeling guilty is only natural, but I dont have experince of this, so other posters may well be able to explain that better than I can.

vampirequeen Tue 28-Feb-17 20:42:07

Loving your mother is natural. I worked with kids who were terribly mistreated but worshipped their mothers.

Some mothers have a wonderful way of making their children feel guilty. The instilled it into their children when they were young and no amount of logic can make those feelings of guilt go away. Your mother has chosen to ignore you. You have offered the olive branch on several occasions but she still ignores you. You have nothing to feel guilty about....but you will flowers

whereamI555 Tue 28-Feb-17 20:44:48

I do agree with you about her not able to love me, or anyone. She is a person who gets jealous of others and has caused trouble for neighbours all around her, which I have had to sort out. Our home life was not a loving one, I have no brothers or sisters so I often felt alone. My father never showed much love either, in later life often I thought he was not happy in this marriage. Nothing seemed to please her. He always said she likes to be the centre of attention. I do however have a very loving husband so I am lucky in a lot of ways. I have given up banging my head against a brick wall with her. brew

Ankers Tue 28-Feb-17 21:27:53

Who do you feel guilty to, if you see what I mean?

NfkDumpling Tue 28-Feb-17 23:03:24

Another only child here. You aren't alone. So many mothers are this way to varying degrees. I was lucky in that my mother was a good mum until I hit puberty when I stopped being her little girl and became a woman with my own opinions and life. She then became increasingly jealous and paranoid. It didn't help that she went through the menopause while I was an obnoxious teenager and her own mother who was a moderating influence on her became ill and died.

I've been an orphan for nearly four years and The Guilt has now faded. Where it comes from, why and who we feel guilty to I have no idea, but it's there. Overwhelming guilt! Fight it if you can. You are not responsible for the enormous chip on your mothers shoulder. She is obviously surviving quite well without you. You done your best. You've obviously empowered her to cope without you. You've done well! You're free!