Gransnet forums

Relationships

Cowardly and cruel?

(126 Posts)
phoenix Tue 28-Feb-17 22:53:30

Well, my mother's funeral is on Thursday, just spoken to DS1 again re music etc (he asked for my input, tried to get hold of him several times, when I eventually did he told me he had sorted the dirgeshymns. Ditto with the eulogy, even though he asked me to write down some of the stuff that I had told him over the phone and send it to him, which I did. Apparently, he decided to just go ahead with what he had written, and has sent that to the vicar.

I'm quite upset about that, as although my mother and I were estranged (her choice) I was always proud of her for the way as an unmarried mother in 1958 she decided to keep me, despite many obstacles.

There are other things that he didn't know that might have been good to include at the service, for example before I was even a twinkle, she was a beauty queen, winning the title of "Miss Malvern Town"! I had the press cuttings and the sash.

But the thing that made me use the thread title, is that tonight DS1 told me that she has left me nothing in her will, but has left a letter telling me why.

Now, I wasn't expecting anything, under the circumstances, although DS1 has said he doesn't mind if I have "a couple of bits" but I think the letter aspect IS cowardly and cruel.

Why not send it when she was alive, so that any misunderstandings could have been addressed?

My son says he has read it, which in a way is a damn cheek, but didn't say anything about the content, although I can have a pretty good guess.

I think it is a rather nasty thing to do.sad

phoenix Fri 24-Mar-17 23:05:05

Many thanks to all who have posted.

cornergran Fri 24-Mar-17 21:15:29

I think I would put it on hold phoenix, but then how do I really know? It's all raw and new at the moment. Your son isn't helping with his response. If you want to destroy it, or indeed tell the solicitor not to send it, then do. If you aren't sure then put it on hold. Either ask the solicitor to keep it until he hears otherwise from you or as others have suggested ask a friend to hold it for you for now. I do think trust your instinct, in this case go with the gut feeling. It's a horrid situation to be in, but as ann says you do have the final word. Sending hugs.

phoenix Fri 24-Mar-17 20:31:22

Thank you all for the posts and supportive messages, they are very much appreciated.

Jalima Fri 24-Mar-17 20:01:04

phoenix your tale of the funeral made me laugh - even though it was a funeral!
I don't have a funeral tale but do remember going to a wedding in the local church, the chap sitting in front turned round to look at the bride on the arm of her step-father proceeding in a stately fashion down the long aisle and asked me if this was the Catholic church (of the same name as the CoE one) - I said no, this was the CofE church whereupon he said 'wrong wedding', rushed up the aisle, pushing past a startled bride and step-father on the way.

I think I would give the letter to someone else to hold while you decide what to do; you may want to burn it without reading in the future or you may feel strong enough to read it one day.

wine and flowers and well done, thank goodness for good friends too.

annsixty Fri 24-Mar-17 19:10:31

You have the control and the final word. Use it.

Anya Fri 24-Mar-17 18:58:13

Burn the bloody letter without opening it. Do this in front of your son and then take the bits and throw them out of a window and let them drift away.

You don't need to know or to read it. It's your final act of defiance and your way of saying to this woman 'you are not worth it and you are in the past where you belong'.

Grannyben Fri 24-Mar-17 18:27:31

Burn the bloody thing in its envelope! (Sorry for swearing). I am sure you are going to be torn and curiosity will probably win out but, your son is obviously aware of the contents and you have nothing to gain

Rinouchka Fri 24-Mar-17 18:04:26

Do not read this horrid letter, Phoenix. However, I would give it to a trusted friend to hold and then get on with living your life as happily and fully as you can. Revisit the letter at some time in the future, if you wish, but not yet or ever, if that is what time and distance leads you to decide.

kittylester Fri 24-Mar-17 18:03:09

phoenix, nothing much to say really but sending you a massive (((hug)))

Ana Fri 24-Mar-17 17:38:12

I really don't know why your son was able to read the letter phoenix - surely it was addressed to you? I agree with annsixty, don't read it when you eventually do receive it.

I know you'll always wonder what she said, but it will just make you feel worse. Such sadness...sad

mumofmadboys Fri 24-Mar-17 17:29:00

I'm sorry Phoenix you are having to go through this. The letter says most about your mum not you. Read it and feel sorry for her. To put the boot in after death is horrible and not the action of a loving mum. It is her problem and her failure. Try not to let your mum's actions sour your relationship with your son. Try and use this Mothering Sunday to forgive your mum for her failings and put it behind you. You can now hopefully enjoy the time ahead without a mum refusing to speak to you. Wishing you happiness and peace.x

annsixty Fri 24-Mar-17 17:28:57

Do not put yourself through the trauma of reading it. It will upset you even more and I imagine you know how your mother felt about you
Write it off and get on with your life. So sad for you though.

phoenix Fri 24-Mar-17 17:16:33

An update, have still not received the letter, apparently it will be sent from the solicitors.

However, during a phone conversation with my son today, about other matters, I mentioned it and he said that it was "not very nice".

I asked him how he would feel if he felt that I, as his mother, didn't love him and actually wrote him a letter about it.. His response was a sort of verbal shrug and to say, "well, there's nothing you can do about it now, is there?"

Dreading the arrival of the damn thing, angry, upset and still think it was cowardly and cruel.

Sadly my son is not a particularly warm and loving person, unlike his late brother. sad

annsixty Tue 07-Mar-17 18:00:56

I wonder if Phoenix has read her letter yet or if she has been discouraged from reading it.

mumofmadboys Tue 07-Mar-17 17:27:11

Sorry _ should have read mentally clouded!

mumofmadboys Tue 07-Mar-17 17:26:37

Or mentally course as she was near death?

mumofmadboys Tue 07-Mar-17 17:23:10

ElfiesCould your mum have been jealous of you in some way?

GrandmaMoira Sun 05-Mar-17 19:03:45

I'm sorry you are going through such a difficult time.

elfies Sun 05-Mar-17 19:01:02

I'm still very down about it JuliaSeizer44,but I cut my nose off to spite my face, and made sure that my bequest from my mum was shared with friends and relatives she DID like ,and a sizable charity donation so I could feel I hadn't profited since she disliked me so much.

JuliaSeizer44 Sat 04-Mar-17 05:04:46

elviesit hurts so much and I'll never ,ever forget the look on her face when she said it. I hope I won't do anything as hurtful to my nearest and dearest .

Oh, Elvies, that's so horrible. I'm afraid that I would have been very tempted to retort that I was going to throw her ashes out in the wheelie bin or flush them down the loo.

Theoddbird Fri 03-Mar-17 18:17:32

Do not let the past affect your future....

Ana Fri 03-Mar-17 17:38:48

merlot, that was so funny...In a Persian Market! grin

phoenix Fri 03-Mar-17 17:08:08

Cinnamon1 it's a bit early in the process, the funeral was only yesterday, but going by his comment "I don't mind you having a couple of bits from the house" doesn't exactly bode well!

merlot, sorry, but grin

Cinnamon1 Fri 03-Mar-17 00:52:30

And isn't your son going to pass at least part of his inheritance to you? His grandma may have been a horrid person but he at least can behave decently towaqrds you as his mother.

merlotgran Thu 02-Mar-17 23:07:32

DH's father died of a heart attack during the 1987 hurricane. Because of the damage and road closures in West Sussex the cortege had to wind round various diversions en route to the crematorium. I had set out all the food in the room we had booked for the tea afterwards but had forgotten to switch on the tea urn which took a long time to heat up.

My sis-in-law, who was trying to spot the car we were supposed to be following, nearly had a heart attack herself when I told her I'd forgotten the urn. She thought we had to provide the urn for the ashes and there'd be nothing to put him in unless we went back to get it!!

Things didn't improve when he was carried in to the questionable taste of 'In a Persian Market.' They'd put the cassette in the wrong way round.....It should have been 'In a Monastery Garden' grin