Gransnet forums

Relationships

Baby name difficulty

(40 Posts)
grannyactivist Tue 21-Mar-17 05:39:35

A man I know is about to have a baby with his ex-girlfriend who broke off the brief relationship as soon as her much desired pregnancy was confirmed. (She had planned to have a baby via sperm donor before they met.)
They have agreed to co-parent the baby (a boy) even though the relationship has ended. They are both at busy times in their careers and are finding the pregnancy stressful for different reasons: she because she resents his (sometimes clumsy) attempts to be involved, and he because she is very much in control of the situation and is keeping him at arms length.
She is from Europe and has insisted on it the baby being given a name from her country that she decided many years ago her son would be called. The father doesn't like the name at all (hates it in fact) and anticipates that the child will be teased at school. He asked for a compromise; suggesting that he draw up a list of names from her country that he does like and she can choose from that list - or that she proffers further names for consideration. She is refusing to do this and says instead that her compromise is for the father to choose the child's middle name. He has counter offered, saying that if she goes ahead with her name for the child then the baby should have his surname.
The mother has now said that she wants no further contact until the father can discuss this 'reasonably' as he is causing her undue stress.
What do people think? Is the father being unreasonable?

grannyactivist Tue 21-Mar-17 18:51:08

My husband and I both use our middle names; him from birth and me from my teens. One of my sisters started to use her middle name when she was in her thirties and a brother when he was in his forties. A very close friend hasn't yet named her newborn baby because she and her husband can't agree on a name - their last child was six weeks old when she was registered as they were the same then. Another friend (not originally from this country) says her husband will name their expected baby, as he did with their last one.

In my innocence I just assumed that as a child's name is so important it would be something that both parents would discuss until joint agreement was reached.

ajanela Wed 22-Mar-17 05:18:58

This women has been planning to have a baby for a long time and she decided on the name many years ago. She is reluctantly co parenting which is in the boys best interest so why spend time arguing about a name. I expect one day she will return to her own country where the name will be more normal. Also as everyone has said he can give the boy a nickname and I am sure many gransnetters are not very keen on some of their GC names but they got use to them.

The OP should be discouraging the father from making this an issue. He is obviously angry about the situation he finds himself in but for this to work he is going to have to remain calm and let the woman have things how she wants which is what would happen if he was in a loving relationship. Don't fuel the fire OP!

NfkDumpling Wed 22-Mar-17 05:48:09

My domineering GF insisted on his right to name his three boys although I think DGM would have been allowed to name a girl as they didn't matter. DGM got to choose the middle name. GF worked away a lot and GM brought the boys up, so guess which name they used and were known by?! Whoever has most time with the child will name him. Best the DF has and uses his own pet name for the lad. The child will probably like it and it'll make him feel special.

thatbags Wed 22-Mar-17 06:44:48

My first thought was like Bluebelle's: why wasn't he using condoms to protect himself from being a mere sperm donor?

Now I'll read the rest of the thread.

thatbags Wed 22-Mar-17 06:46:23

I agree with Anya that he has, perhaps, been 'used' as a sperm donor but the choice not to be so used was in his court.

NfkDumpling Wed 22-Mar-17 06:48:14

I hadn't thought along those lines at all - I'm such an innocent!

thatbags Wed 22-Mar-17 06:55:37

The child can, if he wants, change his name by deed poll when he's old enough. It's hardly an insurmountable problem, whatever name he is given. And he could easily choose something neither of his biological parents like. I rather hope he does!

thatbags Wed 22-Mar-17 07:03:51

They should give him lots of names like my school house mascot, which a friend and I named Benjamin Theodore Pythagoras Cuffuffle Owl Ryder. We always called it by all its names, by which time people were smiling and couldn't be arsed to argue wink

NfkDumpling Wed 22-Mar-17 07:09:06

grin

Starlady Wed 22-Mar-17 12:55:47

Hate to say it but anjela may have hit on a hidden agenda of this woman. She may actually be planning to return to her country someday and this name may be very popular or traditional there or important in her family if she has family there (she probably does). Has she hinted at this at all?

ajanela Wed 22-Mar-17 19:40:24

I don't think she will return now because as I single parent (dispite the father willing to be involved) she will be well looked after in the UK. But in the future it is very likely.

BlueBelle Wed 22-Mar-17 19:44:37

The moral of the story is don't have brief encounters without using a condom
No need to blame her we don't know the story from her side but he needs to
cover his Jimmy then this wouldn't be a problem

Norah Thu 23-Mar-17 09:56:13

A jimmy hat really would have been the answer. For the present I think names are all different currently, no bother.

Jaxie Mon 03-Apr-17 18:27:57

I want to know what this horrible name is. Anyone supply examples?