Gransnet forums

Relationships

Getting Onto Facebook

(136 Posts)
nina1959 Wed 05-Apr-17 15:39:19

I'm aware a lot of people could connect and share more if they were on Facebook. They would be able to join groups, meet new friends and possibly be less lonely.

Can I ask how many of you don't do FB?

seacliff Wed 05-Apr-17 18:01:03

I have recently started adult colouring in, and wanted to improve my work - shading etc, so have been googling information about it.

There are several "closed" groups on Facebook (not secret). I asked to join two and was accepted. There are no real life groups in my area. If you have a particular interest, these groups are great for linking people all round the world. Members can show their latest work, review materials etc, and just chat and encourage each other.

I also belong to an open local group, which has all sorts of information about my immediate area. I recently asked for recommendations for a good mechanic, and found a business I never knew existed.

It is important to make sure your privacy settings are strict enough - attached may help. www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/0/how-to-manage-your-security-settings-on-facebook/

whitewave Wed 05-Apr-17 18:52:59

I spend far too much time on here, and looking at on line shoppingblush I have thought about face book as all my family is on it but can't be arsed to be honest. I have a look just to be nosey to see what they are all doing but not bothered about posting about me really.

annsixty Wed 05-Apr-17 19:51:35

I discussed this with my GD who is 18 and was here today.
She offered to set it up for me but expressed some reluctance as to being her friend. Am I likely to read things I may not like to read?.
My 51 year old single D might be as reluctant so I may not bother.?

KatyK Wed 05-Apr-17 20:06:47

I don't do FB. I don't feel left behind. I just don't like FB. My teenage granddaughter tells me she and her friends have moved on to other things now such as Instagram and Snapchat or whatever.

Christinefrance Wed 05-Apr-17 20:33:21

Some rather patronising comments on here. Assumptions made that because some older people choose not to use social media they do not understand the technology.

nina1959 Wed 05-Apr-17 20:35:03

Christinefrance, either add something useful or don't comment. I did not suggest any such thing.

Greyduster Wed 05-Apr-17 20:51:28

I had a Facebook account but I lost interest in it, so I closed it down. Never been interested in Twitter.

LadyGracie Wed 05-Apr-17 20:55:11

I use Facebook to stay in touch with family and friends All over the world! it's a great way of staying connected. I love it

BlueBelle Wed 05-Apr-17 21:01:23

I love FB and have set up two groups one a school reunion group has about 50 members the other a charity group has 450 members I d be happy to start a granny's group up if there was any call for it

BlueBelle Wed 05-Apr-17 21:03:01

You're right Katek the teens don't do FB anymore they snapchat mostly

nina1959 Wed 05-Apr-17 21:04:07

Bluebelle, I'm sure there would be. I know lots of older women who would just love to be able to connect with others. It would take them out of their daily routine and open up their world view. FB is great portal for being involved and seeing life through a new lens.

ninathenana Wed 05-Apr-17 21:17:20

nina1959
I know lots of older women who would love to be able to connect with others
Isn't that what GN is all about confused

janeainsworth Wed 05-Apr-17 21:31:08

Just what I was going to say ninathenana
I don't see FB as a way of making new friends at all and never accept friend requests from people I don't know. I use it to keep in touch with hextended family and friends.
However I have made friends in RL through Gransnet.

NfkDumpling Wed 05-Apr-17 21:33:54

I'm on Facebook. Use it a lot to keep up to date with distant DD1 as she rarely has time for phone chats but throws one liners and shares pictures on FB frequently. I share with Friends Only and have just 38 friends including my cousins in Australia and Italy - and my cousin's SiL who's like a modern pen friend. I doubt we'll ever meet in person as Australia is a long way off!

I follow two or three groups and pages like Gransnet and The History Geek but try not to 'Like' too many banal things which pop up or do silly tests as it only encourages more! It is what you make it.

Christinefrance Wed 05-Apr-17 21:52:38

Nina I didn't mention you but if the cap fits.

mumofmadboys Wed 05-Apr-17 22:09:14

Please can we cut out these snide comments. It is certainly putting me off GN at the moment.

ninathenana Wed 05-Apr-17 23:09:20

Christine which nina is that aimed at ?

hildajenniJ Thu 06-Apr-17 00:05:37

My DD encouraged me to have a fb account, mainly for sharing photos of my DGC. I have found old school friend's that I haven't seen for years, and relatives who I've never met.
I'm also in three groups. One is for sharing photos if Northumberland, one is for crochet enthusiasts, and one is a support group for grandparents if children with disabilities.
You get out of Facebook what you put into it, and you can chose what to see and what not to see.

nina1959 Thu 06-Apr-17 06:57:08

For those who clearly don't know Ninathenana, FB is private. You can talk to your friends without the world seeing. Unlike GN which anyone can read. But it's more than this. It has far more visual interaction and the best thing is, if someone gets on your nerves or pulls your comments down, you can just delete them.

ninathenana Thu 06-Apr-17 07:08:22

Yes nina1959 I do know it has privacy settings and I use them.
The statement I quoted has nothing to do with privacy. I was merely saying that GN is a way of connecting with people too.

JackyB Thu 06-Apr-17 07:10:28

None of my sons is on Facebook, as they distrust it. Well, one had to join some years ago because of a project he was working in, but AFAIK doesn't use it now.

If you read the book "The Circle" by David Eggers you would certainly think twice about it. It's an awful book (badly written, illogical plot-line) but the basic idea could easily be the truth. I think they're making a film of it.

So far I have managed to escape its claws, although I reluctantly joined Whatsup because that is how our choir, and the girls at work, are all connected.

It doesn't worry me personally if my data is out there for others to find, but Son No 1 is dead against anything like that, and he ought to know as he is a nerd who lives and works in Silicon Valley.

But so many millions of people are now on FB that it probably doesn't matter any more. Go ahead and join, it is certainly a way of keeping in touch especially with people who are housebound or not so mobile, and who are lonely because of that.

nina1959 Thu 06-Apr-17 07:19:01

Oh so you do have FB Ninathenana? In which case GN isn't enough for you?

Luckylegs9 Thu 06-Apr-17 07:19:41

I can see how useful FB is to keep in touch with distant family and friends. I must try harder to see what it could offer me.

nina1959 Thu 06-Apr-17 07:23:42

JackyB, the book The Circle is a redone take on the conspiracy theory long before we had the internet. It offers nothing new in terms of warning measures.
Who do you think carries all our most personal details? Not FB.
It's our banks.

NfkDumpling Thu 06-Apr-17 07:30:38

And the big supermarkets.