Gransnet forums

Relationships

Someone asked DH if I was still alive - AIBU to be hopping mad?

(77 Posts)
acanthus Sat 06-May-17 16:15:26

DH took great delight yesterday telling me that an acquaintance of his (female - I only know her by sight) had asked if I was still alive. I should add that I am in perfect health and three years younger than DH, so there is no logical reason for anyone to suspect my demise.
He can't understand why I took exception to this, especially as he simply told her that I was still in the land of the living.
AIBU in thinking it was a very rude question and upset with him not indicating this to her? angry

Luckylegs9 Thu 11-May-17 16:09:24

Think your husband must be trying to be funny. Can't see anyone asking point blank if their partner was still alive, that would at best be very insensitive and rude. Perhaps your husband has emelished the conversation a little, if I bumped into her I wouldn't be able to resist saying, I'm still here as you can see, and wait for her reply.

HellsBells Mon 08-May-17 14:17:18

I thought someone had died and as dutiful vicar's wife passed the sad news on to my husband. Come Sunday morning my husband passed on to the congregation sadly I had got the information wrong. Mixed reaction some angry majority recognised an honest mistake

jimmyRFU Mon 08-May-17 13:48:23

She looking for a sugar daddy!! What an odd thing to say.

marionk Mon 08-May-17 09:08:28

Even if she is after your husband at least she is prepared to wait until you have no further claims ???

sarahellenwhitney Sun 07-May-17 22:50:49

When in doubt a' hello are you ok?' That way the onus is on the other person as to how they respond.

AmMaz Sun 07-May-17 22:23:05

Acanthus, I don't think you are being unreasonable. What she said was tactless and cheeky.

Bluegayn58 Sun 07-May-17 20:05:03

I can see why you feel like that - why would he take 'delight' in telling you this? Hope you told him how his reaction upset you. xx

Diddy1 Sun 07-May-17 19:28:04

Not rude, but a strange way of putting it.

Teddy123 Sun 07-May-17 17:28:16

Ps George LOONEY really made me giggle

Teddy123 Sun 07-May-17 17:26:08

Ooooo acanthus so he did look like the gorgeous George. Lucky you. My DH has a female gym buddy ..... I shall say no more !! I'm glad he's made it up to you.
Have a lovely evening, gorgeous & sunny here.

gagsy Sun 07-May-17 17:19:08

As mubwise mum would have said. "Dismiss it whence it cometh!"

Sheilasue Sun 07-May-17 17:17:17

Alive and kicking, bloody cheek.

IngeJones Sun 07-May-17 16:39:21

Acanthus no I wouldn't ask someone like that myself but I wouldn't be upset if someone asked after me like that. I'd definitely think they were crass but on the other hand I wouldn't be upset about it, I just tend to laugh when I meet social ineptitude.

Marianne1953 Sun 07-May-17 16:35:12

She fancies your husband, that's why she asked.

ethelwulf Sun 07-May-17 16:22:36

I'd have been inclined to answer : "Yes.. And she'll no doubt be pleased to hear that you survived your charisma bypass operation... "

adaunas Sun 07-May-17 16:18:30

I'd be more upset that my husband 'took great delight' in passing on this message.

willa45 Sun 07-May-17 16:07:39

I'm with you acanthus! Unless this woman is a total fool, I would be terribly annoyed at her for asking my husband if I was 'still alive'. It sounds like wishful thinking on her part and that is not funny.

It could also be interpreted as a subtle hint that if something were to happen to you and he needed 'comfort', she would be up to the task.

The fact that you're husband told you about it however says a) He wanted to share with you because you're still his number one b) Her not so subtle 'come on' may have been understandably flattering c)The fact that he was so amused by the whole thing, is likely because he's not even remotely attracted to her.

TillyWhiz Sun 07-May-17 15:58:04

Some time ago we had old acquaintances who live far away call in on a visit to this area, my husband answered the door and invited them in then called me to come and see them. Such relief on their faces - they had been told I had died! I too felt most put out by the person who had relayed this news to them and promised to haunt them. Chinese whispers I'm afraid in a small community.

Lewlew Sun 07-May-17 15:13:34

I think it's insensitive, regardless of the age of OP and her DH... and she likely is that way with all of her friends and family, not just casual acquaintances.

If I don't see someone for quite some time, I always dance around, but finally just ask, how is so-and-so.

Ana Sun 07-May-17 14:41:31

I'm not convinced she asked whether the OP was dead or merely asked how she was. Husbands can think they're being very witty when they're not, really.

Nelliemaggs Sun 07-May-17 14:38:33

I would have laughed and imagine it was said in jest. Past a certain age my friends and I feel that we are now living on borrowed time and a question like that said with a merry twinkle would not be taken as offensive. Really depends on the look on her face when she asked the question.

VIOLETTE Sun 07-May-17 14:23:41

Was it asked in jest or seriously ? did your husband laugh when he told you ? I think if he thought she had designs on him he wouldn't have told you ...especially if he knew how you were likely to take it ! I would just laugh it off ...unless you read you obituary in the paper !!

If you know this woman, and she is a local, next time you see her I would laugh and say 'Oh YOU are still alive then !' and see what happens smile

grammargran Sun 07-May-17 14:06:16

Just an incredibly tactless remark, I'm guessing, from someone who doesn't stop to think. My husband would've found it funny (hilarious) on reporting back and after my initial 'WHAT??? - b****y cheek!' would've both had a good giggle. Go on, laugh about it!

shysal Sun 07-May-17 13:45:39

Thanks to those who made suggestions for approaching my aquaintance. I shall say something tactful unless it comes out all wrong, as can sometimes happen with my shyness! blush

acanthus Sun 07-May-17 13:23:27

It's comforting to know that many share my opinion about rudeness; for those of you who don't.. come on, would you in all honesty go up to someone and baldly ask if their partner was still alive? Especially if you had no reason to suspect ill-health or great age? As for my DH looking like George Clooney - yes, in his younger days, though I tend to think of him now as George Looney. And yes, it was down to his tactlessness rather than spite, and he's made up for it.smile