Gransnet forums

Relationships

Ghosting

(33 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Fri 19-May-17 07:51:23

Has anyone seen this article on the new craze which is called Ghosting, which was initiated via social media as the way forward, going no contact with friends or family if they upset you, no explanation required, just calls and texts not answered and blanked if you meet out. It used to be called sending to Coventry, then no contact, now Ghosting. How cruel, especially for teenagers and young people with confidence issues.

Lupin Fri 19-May-17 08:00:41

Not only cruel, but vastly immature. Not one for social media to be proud of. I hope it's short lived like many crazes.

vampirequeen Fri 19-May-17 08:04:57

That's horrible.

NanaandGrampy Fri 19-May-17 08:06:32

I thought I read somewhere that its especially prevalent on online dating sites. People meet , go on a date and then one party just never contacts the other party again.

Sounds heartless to me. At least have the courtesy to say thanks but not thanks.

travelsafar Fri 19-May-17 08:06:58

sounds very immature to me.

grannylyn65 Fri 19-May-17 08:51:07

Does one know they are being ghosted ? Horrible

Starlady Fri 19-May-17 10:57:59

Awful but not really new, is it? Just a new word for it.

Actually, I remember men/boys doing this to women/girls even when I was young. Saying, "I'll call you" and then never calling. But in that case, I understand. It's hard to say to someone's face, "I don't want to see you again."

But when someone does this to family or friends, I don't get it. If one is going to go nc, why not at least let the person know? Cowardly and cruel not to, imo.

If one has already told the person what's bothering them and it still doesn't stop, I can see not explaining again. But how about, "Iv had it Mom/ds/old friend/fill-in-the-blank! I won't be talking to you anymore!" It might hurt, but at least they would know what was going on. They might argue, but one could just say, "Sorry, I'm done" and end the conversation.

I'm not a fan of cos, but if one's going to do it, why not be honest about it?

Starlady Fri 19-May-17 11:01:49

Grannylyn65, I think one realizes they are being ghosted when they see their phone calls and FB messages are blocked or go unanswered, they're snubbed if they meet out, etc. It may take a while to sink in though.

tinaf1 Fri 19-May-17 15:38:08

There is an article in the Daily Mail ( yes I know ?? ) about it today , some of it is quite sad to read , seems to be women friends doing it to other friends .

janeainsworth Fri 19-May-17 15:46:46

www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4520418/amp/Agony-GHOSTED-best-friend-drops-you.html
Here's the article

janeainsworth Fri 19-May-17 15:55:24

So the DM have managed to find 3 case histories.
Hardly a trend. Some people don't choose their friends wisely.

BlueBelle Fri 19-May-17 16:08:19

Oh what stuff and nonsense very very immature and barely worth talking about just trying to sell newspapers

grannylyn65 Fri 19-May-17 20:37:16

Oh I C !!
Thanks x

Thebeeb Fri 19-May-17 21:36:37

Had it done to me. Not nice.

ajanela Sat 20-May-17 07:32:26

Similar is the way some children with autism and other disabilities as treated in school. Maybe better to be ignored than trolled, neither nice

Jane10 Sat 20-May-17 08:41:26

Surely there's nothing new about people falling out with friends and deciding not to see them any more? Texting/social media seems to give rise to many possibilities for new names for old behaviours!

Barmyoldbat Sat 20-May-17 09:13:24

Think that happened to me with my gd, I upset her with something and did and she just blocked me, no text, phone calls or race book . So I have just left it, she will come round I expect near her birthday! It is deeply hurtful.

radicalnan Sat 20-May-17 10:30:25

What have we become a nation of ninnies, that should never be in the newspapers and people encourage to feel hard done by when some fool behaves badly. We are setting people up all the time to feel distraught/ aggreived/ upset for nothing at all.

I am ashamed to be a grown up now we have brought all this nonsense on ourselves.

thatbags Sat 20-May-17 11:48:46

"What have we become a nation of ninnies....people encouraged to feel hard done by when some fool behaves badly. We are setting people up all the time to feel distraught/ aggreived/ upset for nothing at all."

Hear, hear, radical. Well said.

harrigran Sat 20-May-17 12:27:11

DH did it to my sister and it took her 3 months+ to notice, speaks volumes about my family.

Starlady Sat 20-May-17 17:11:59

Sometimes it might be a good idea for BOTH people to get some time away from each other. But I still think one needs to tell the other first if they plan to pull away.

Starlady Sat 20-May-17 17:12:31

Meant to say "pull away entirely."

Annofarabia Sat 20-May-17 17:32:54

That happened to me at age 14 at Nelson Grammar School and I never found out why!

MissAdventure Sat 27-May-17 09:58:17

Its how my fiance of six years chose to end our relationship
I had no idea, and had a couple of texts asking me if was ok, from friends. I didn't know they had seen his posts on Facebook (I dont use it) which was where he had chosen to announce that his heart was broken, etc etc.
It was just me he ghosted, it was my family, including my daughter, who was very close to him and loved him, and my two grandsons.
Its one of the most hurtful things that has ever happened to me.
A whole section of my life was pulled out from under me
My contact with his parents, whom I considered my in laws, I still have sporadic contact with his mum, but it has been really too difficult to put behind me.

Jalima1108 Sat 27-May-17 10:26:34

It is very cowardly but also a form of control and bullying.