Gransnet forums

Relationships

Are you married but living separately?

(37 Posts)
boheminan Tue 20-Jun-17 19:40:02

I've met a wonderful man who for the first time in my life I feel very happy and safe to be with.

Both of us have been married twice before and for both of us the marriages have been disasterous. However, in our twilight years we both deeply feel we'd like to make a lasting commitment to each other - 'third time lucky'. However he lives in a houseboat and loves the river life and I love living in my cottage with feet planted firmly on the earth. It's worked well so far, both living in our separate dwelling places, meeting up when we want and going back to our own spaces when we feel like it but now we would like to make it formal I'm not sure how it would affect our lives legally if we choose to carry on living at separate addresses.

Anyone in GN land have experience/knowledge of this?

lizzypopbottle Wed 21-Jun-17 14:03:27

You are so lucky to be contemplating such an idyllic existence. Several people have mentioned legal issues. I believe that getting married revokes any existing will so if you each want your property to go to respective families in the future you need to make new wills. Good luck with your lovely plans ??

W11girl Wed 21-Jun-17 15:10:38

I can only think that you keep the boat and the house if finances stretch to this and depending if it is moored or not. Have the best of both worlds.
Having said this, my husband and I live in the same house but live completely separate lives. We do not even have the same friends, but we are very happy indeed. We holiday together several times a year and are there for each other when it matters. Don't know what we would do without each other!

boheminan Thu 22-Jun-17 10:46:05

As I'm imminently about to slip off the end of the page, I thought I'd add that after reading through this thread, Old Man River and I have decided to opt for a Humanist do and keep the boat and cottage to wander in and out of at random. Thank you all for your support and advice flowerswine

shysal Thu 22-Jun-17 11:49:16

Best wishes or a happy future! flowers

Nannyfrance Thu 22-Jun-17 18:43:38

Sounds like the perfect relationship. I envy you.

Bebe47 Fri 23-Jun-17 10:08:40

I wish!!! Perfect scenario. Men are from Mars and Women from Venus!!

Gemmajewell Wed 17-Jan-18 20:32:42

Hi there,

I am a young filmmaker based in London and am looking to produce a short documentary about couples that are happily married but choose to live separately.

I am exploring this topic because I believe its an incredibly strong thing for couple to do and is a story that could inspire others!

If this is something you would be interested in, or know someone that might be suitable please email me at: [email protected]

Thank you so much!
Gemma

mollie Wed 17-Jan-18 21:20:46

Now why didn’t I think of that! Sometimes a little bolt hole would be so useful wink. Good luck to you both

Cherrytree59 Wed 17-Jan-18 21:45:12

Hi Gemma this is an old thread

I think you may need to go through gransnet HQ for media requests

M0nica Thu 18-Jan-18 21:17:11

I am not sure David is right. What he says is correct if you are both living together in the same house and the other house is empty or let out. In your case you are both in the same position as a couple who are married, but separated. You are both living alone and independently supporting your own homes from your own incomes. It would probably be worthwhile checking the situation out with a solicitor.

I agree with Grandetante over wills. Less sure about having joint bank accounts. The problem with joint accounts is that when you sort out Powers of Attorney you both have to have the same Attorneys to be able to access each others bank accounts. We got caught out by this. My Aunt and Uncle, who were childless, both chose different attorneys but the accounts could be accessed only if they had a minimum of one attorney in common, which they didn't, so we had to go through a difficult process of getting one of them to change their Attorney to one that the other also had and then cancel one PoA and negotiate (and pay) for a new one.

Luckylegs9 Fri 19-Jan-18 08:09:37

Bohemian, it seems you are very happy as you are, so really there is little point in changing things, if however it would make you both happy to marry and carry on as you are do that.