Gransnet forums

Relationships

New starters, whatever age.

(39 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Sun 13-Aug-17 07:03:52

Having come through, not without difficulty, the most life changing prolonged period of my life, I got to thinking about all of us that have had life changing events, but have put it in the past, whilst acknowledging it and hopefully learning from the experience. How did you move forward? Make new friends, develop new ideas and hobbies. I am going to try Bridge this Autumn, have booked a cruise, which I really shouldn't have, for next year, bought a dress a size smaller than I am, becSuse I never keep to any diet for more than a week.

next year

Smileless2012 Mon 14-Aug-17 13:03:50

What a great thread Luckylegssmile. It's wonderful to read of the plans you've put in place. You've been through such a difficult time and deserve that wonderful cruise you've booked for next year, whether or not you manage to wear the new dress[gin].

We moved 9.5 months ago; best thing we could have done. Have 2 wonderful young ladies living next door who've become very special friends. They've asked me to join their darts teamhmm I passed the test because at least I can hit the board (most of the timeblush). We joined a new church and I've also become a member of the Mothers Union and left the last meeting having put myself forward as treasurer; still not sure how I managed that.

There are some wonderfully inspiring posts on this thread, just what I needed to read on a Monday morning.

W11girl Mon 14-Aug-17 09:02:50

I have plans of changing my life, but haven't found the right things for me yet in my neighbourhood...so I continually think positively... whilst I'm looking I have taught myself to play the piano and am re-learning French at home, and travelling frequently. About to purchase a good comfortable motorhome, again, and spend time "on the road" at leisure in the UK and Europe.

Luckygirl Mon 14-Aug-17 08:35:08

grannybuy - I am in exactly the same position as you. Luckily my OH supports me going out to do my own thing because he knows that I would not cope with losing these activities. But when I am out I am ringing him constantly to check he is OK and has remembered his medicatio0n. It is a bugger of an illness.

RosemarySuperager Mon 14-Aug-17 08:19:35

Theoddbird - I'm sure you won't regret your move to a boat. We lived on a barge for 10 years and loved it. The community on the water is great, so friendly, such a wide variety of people who you wouldn't normally meet. The only downside is British Waterways who you generally have to deal with!!
I wish you every happiness in your new life.

Love all the energy you all have. I'm spending my summer on my boat.

Starlady Mon 14-Aug-17 03:06:48

You ladies are inspiring!

Legs55 Mon 14-Aug-17 00:36:10

I was widowed 4 1/2 years ago at the age of 57. DH & I had downsized 3 years before, moved from Middlesex to Somerset to be between my DD & DH's DD.

Just over 2 years ago I moved again, took less than a month after agreeing to sell my home (Park Home) to moving to Devon where my DD lives. No home to go to so I put everything (more or less except important papers, some clothes & vanity case) into storage. Stayed with DD for 2 weeks then rented a holiday flat for 5 weeks. I found my new home 2nd day (another Park Home) but due to complications I couldn't move in straight away.

Moved into my new home about 10 miles from DD, lovely area, really nice neighbours & starting to make lots of new friends. I joined a few Meet Up Groups which is lovely for meeting a variety of different people, male & female & going to new places. I'm hoping to join WI as I was a Member in my teens & a local club has Whist amongst other activities. I have played Whist for over 50 years on & off.

No new man in my life but I'm happy as I am, if I do meet some-one well I'll see what happens. It's lovely to be nearer DD & her OH, DGS2 was born in May & it was so special to be around, DH & I stayed with DD for a week when DGS1 was born. Now I can see both DGS's grow up.

Life is good, embrace new challangessmile

123kitty Sun 13-Aug-17 20:49:43

Take this opportunity to make yourself fit and healthy, you want to lose weight. Don't rush to join a gym- start with walking, maybe a little further or faster each time, try zumba or zumba gold (a little slower). Also overhaul your diet, the 5:2 has fast results. Good luck.

GrandmaMoira Sun 13-Aug-17 19:27:23

I've had a recent big change as two of my DS left home and am living on my own for the first time ever. First big change was being widowed, second retiring and now this. The next will be downsizing but at the moment I'm enjoying not having to clear up/cook for two men.

Morgana Sun 13-Aug-17 18:38:57

Took up lots of things when I first retired. Now thinking I need something new. Great ideas here. Thanks.

kittylester Sun 13-Aug-17 17:17:07

grandMattie and the library might be glad of a volunteer too!!

JaneD3 Sun 13-Aug-17 16:56:06

I returned to learning, to revive my O level French. Lovely adult group and made a new friend! We are off to France on Friday to sort out DD's wedding next year, so I have been revising the necessary vocab. E.g. "Do you deliver?"
Theoddbird - I am in awe! The birdwatching opportunities on a canal must be wonderful grin

Al1gran Sun 13-Aug-17 14:52:48

I have taken up the cello again after about 35 years! I started quite late anyway, but now find it unbelievably rewarding with the genuine prospect of playing better than I did all those years ago. I play quartets regularly - complete joy. Our first violinist says "you're never too old to get better at something". I am determined to appreciate the things I can still do until I am genuinely too old to do them! Good luck Luckylegs.

Diddy1 Sun 13-Aug-17 14:25:10

We moved to a new house and new area, three years ago, the year after, I finished working,I felt really isolated until I found a couple of small groups where we ladies just talk for a few hours, and drink tea/coffee and enjoy the variety of subjects we get through. I have worked with people all my life, and admit I do appreciate some peace and quiet, I have even begun writing a book, whether it will ever get published is another matter.

Ranworth1 Sun 13-Aug-17 13:06:44

I joined a table tennis club at the age of 69 - great fun. The other players are mostly my age, and we play twice a week. We also have one player in a wheelchair who is one of the best players. Attached to this club is a rambling group - once a fortnight we do 6-7 walks across Dartmoor. smile

Gaggi3 Sun 13-Aug-17 12:56:23

Sorry for your loss, appygran, flowers. I really admire your positive attitude, despite the grief you are feeling. Your late husband would be proud.

Luckylegs9 Sun 13-Aug-17 12:54:32

Wow. I am having to go through all above posts again, I am truly in awe of you. What a resourceful crowd. Eglantine, do I detect a naughty streak there? It's what you don't do that you regret I am told, so I too must get a little out of my comfort zone, Theobird, how absolutely fantastic you really have gone for it. If you ever find yourself around the Fazely Canal or those in Brmngham, please let me know, I will come and see you bring some thing homemade
or we could go for a drink. That's if you would like to of course. I have slight reservations about Bridge, I have a friend whose life is taken over with it, don't want that also know it can be hard to learn! Back to read all the other suggestions. Thank you.

seemercloud Sun 13-Aug-17 12:54:16

Appygran, I would add dog walking into the possibles list, if you like dogs. I too had a big change in my life in my late 60s. I walk dogs for a charity who find dog walkers for the elderly, unwell or no longer able. Apart from the obvious help for the worried owner, it's good exercise for you too: the commitment spurs you on a bit (though it's not binding) and most doggie people are very friendly. (I didn't find much conversation at the gym)

Apricity Sun 13-Aug-17 12:44:29

What a great lot of suggestions offered. After dark nights of the soul there are no easy or one stop solutions. I think that if you can get to the point of thinking it is good to be alive each morning and to enjoy the beauty around us such as sunsets, gardens, friends then this is a good start. A dear friend of mine just says never lose your sense of Wow! I do like the idea of the longboat though. Sounds wonderful.

grandMattie Sun 13-Aug-17 12:41:19

Don't forget your local library [if you still have one] is a mine of information and a good place to start. Ours hosts not only several book groups, but Scrabble, Mah Jong, a craft group and a canasta group. It will no doubt list all sorts of classes and volunteering things.
Good luck.

Witzend Sun 13-Aug-17 12:26:42

Not nearly as adventurous as some, but after retiring I took up the piano again. Had not played since the age of 10 or 11 and had only ever passed grade 2, so virtually had to start again from scratch.
After about a year of working on my own I joined a group (adult) class and after a few years am now playing grade 5/6 level pieces. The current class is a good means of spurring me on since a couple of others are at least grade 8 standard! Though we do vary an awful lot.

The group class for complete beginners is always very popular and quite a few people who started from scratch have been going for years and moving up the groups, so if anyone else fancies it, you might find a similar class nearby.

Thirdinline Sun 13-Aug-17 11:56:15

I too was going to recommend volunteering for those who wish to make a new start, but don't have funds. There are so many benefits, I think the best for me is that I always come away feeling so much better than when I went in. There are many different things you can volunteer to do, try to work out what would suit your talents and interests, plus the amount of time & energy you can commit. Also, don't be put off if you try something & it doesn't float your boat. Like bridge clubs, one size does not fit al! X

grannybuy Sun 13-Aug-17 11:54:11

Good luck to all who are in a position to make positive changes. Go for it! Unfortunately, there is the opposite side of the coin, where the enforced changes tend to be negative. My DH's PD is forcing us to become more and more housebound, and having to give up hobbies, social activities etc. I'm having to juggle when I can get out, and prioritise what I should do in that small window. It means that I'll have to focus on more domestic activities (not housework!!). I like to knit and crochet, and have a large enough stash of yarn to probably last my lifetime. I have photographs with which I aim to organise into albums, scrapbooks, photo books etc. There are DVD's and boxed sets that haven't been watched, books not read..... The list goes on. I also have a garden to do! I won't give up the more adventurous ideas quite yet, either. All of you who can, do it now, while you can, and enjoy every minute.

Blinko Sun 13-Aug-17 11:47:04

appygran, so sorry to hear about your recent loss. But I do think it's a good move to join a walking group. Sociable, fun, not expensive and you get the exercise too. All good. Wishing you the best of luck in your future life flowers

Meer13511 Sun 13-Aug-17 11:26:31

Join the U3A, volunteer for something?

Eglantine19 Sun 13-Aug-17 11:09:25

Solitaire, theobird, the Mr Wrongs were fun too! appygran it's early days but I wish you well in your new life. ?