Gransnet forums

Relationships

New starters, whatever age.

(38 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Sun 13-Aug-17 07:03:52

Having come through, not without difficulty, the most life changing prolonged period of my life, I got to thinking about all of us that have had life changing events, but have put it in the past, whilst acknowledging it and hopefully learning from the experience. How did you move forward? Make new friends, develop new ideas and hobbies. I am going to try Bridge this Autumn, have booked a cruise, which I really shouldn't have, for next year, bought a dress a size smaller than I am, becSuse I never keep to any diet for more than a week.

next year

mumofmadboys Sun 13-Aug-17 07:30:38

Bridge is very addictive ! Beware! I love it and play two evening's a week. Hope you enjoy it.

Greyduster Sun 13-Aug-17 08:35:54

I have often wondered why my DH never took up Bridge. He loves cards, is a strategic player, has a phenomenal memory for what has gone and who has played what. One of our godsons has been a talented Bridge player since his early teens. He went on a cruise with his parents and spent practically the whole time playing Bridge with elderly Americans who would seek him out to make up a rubber (is that the term?). So watch out for any polite, English, teenage boys you may come across, Luckylegs!

Eglantine19 Sun 13-Aug-17 09:47:10

Quit work, moved house, went travelling, lost weight, pulled a few men, ( one at a time) went sky diving, scuba diving, drove a racing car, zip lined across a rain forest. Went mad really.

Skweek1 Sun 13-Aug-17 09:57:26

I am slightly scared of bridge (DH was high (top 10)) on the English scoring list at one time and I love the game, but joined a local group only to find on the first evening that the members were really horrible bridge snobs who objected when I made a mistake. Really put me off, but we have taught DS the fundamentals and hope we'll manage to get back into our stride. So hope you really enjoy it - who knows? We may find ourselves meeting up on the competitive circuit! Best of luck.

devongirl Sun 13-Aug-17 09:58:38

Personally used to thoroughly enjoy playing duplicate bridge years ago, but rusty so looked into lessons at local bridge club and they looked thoroughly intimidating, I don't think I knew what half the words were!! so still plucking up courage.

Very financially stretched now and have no spare money sadly for all those wonderful activities - hopefully that will improve when I retire and can pay off more of my mortgage.

Good luck to you all - enjoy!!

ddraig123 Sun 13-Aug-17 10:20:48

I used to play bridge 5 nights a week in clubs, but now just play online at www.bridgebase.com/ where you can play with robots and/or humans. It's free unless you want to enter paid for tourneys or hire robots. Try the bridge bingo, which is great fun! They mostly play Standard American or 2/1 in the case of the robots, but there is also an Acol Club there (http://www.acolatbbo.org.uk/) although the standard is pretty poor.

Theoddbird Sun 13-Aug-17 10:27:01

I have been going through a prolonged changed. Was separated 16 years ago and divorced 3 years ago. I went out on dates etc. Have not found Mr Right. Ten years ago I got a good job and eventually was able to save. I saved and saved then opted out of the pension plan and took the lump sum. With my savings and the pension money I bought a narrow boat to live on, Yesterday I turned the key for the last time on a place that had led me to becoming depressed. It has taken six weeks to complete the move to my boat from where I rented for 15 years. So at 66 I have done something life changing.....an adventure or a mistake? That I will find out. Last night I looked out of the hatch at the sun setting over a still river and realized what peace there is in silence...

Solitaire Sun 13-Aug-17 10:29:09

Eglantine your adventures sound great, some of which I've done! Not the sky or scuba diving or moved house but on the list. Predictive text changed 'list' to 'lust'??

Eglantine19 Sun 13-Aug-17 10:29:50

Yup, that as well!

kittylester Sun 13-Aug-17 10:30:15

Dh was in his university bridge team and won lots of competitions (once a pipe rack!) and we used to play with his parents. All I can say is that they were very patient with me! blush

I'm in awe of people who make fresh starts but I doubt I would gave the wherewithal.

DS1 had a stroke aged 35 while living in Japan and had to move home to us as his wife left him. He has since written an autobiography, volunteers as an adult literacy teacher, helps a disabled man with IT and is on rhe board of a local charity. He lives independently and travels all over the world. I'm in awe of him too.

Solitaire Sun 13-Aug-17 10:35:25

Well done theoddbird I've been divorced for 30 years ...not looking for Mr. Right...happy with making and enjoying friends. Enjoy your freedom.?

appygran Sun 13-Aug-17 11:01:46

Luckylegs

So glad you started this thread it is something I have been thinking about recently. After being widowed just 15 weeks ago I now find, that at 69, for the first time in my life I am living alone - not as scary as I anticipated. So hurdle one over. I know my life has completely changed and although still grieving I am beginning to think and plan ahead. So I have joined a walking group and enrolled for a photography course starting in September. I will also rejoin a Gym when my summer holiday grandchild minding ends. Baby steps yet but it is a start.

Theodbird I am in awe of you. Would I ever have the courage to make such a move? Enjoy your new home.

I will be watching this thread with interest and hope to pick up some practical tips on moving forward.

Eglantine19 Sun 13-Aug-17 11:09:25

Solitaire, theobird, the Mr Wrongs were fun too! appygran it's early days but I wish you well in your new life. ?

Meer13511 Sun 13-Aug-17 11:26:31

Join the U3A, volunteer for something?

Blinko Sun 13-Aug-17 11:47:04

appygran, so sorry to hear about your recent loss. But I do think it's a good move to join a walking group. Sociable, fun, not expensive and you get the exercise too. All good. Wishing you the best of luck in your future life flowers

grannybuy Sun 13-Aug-17 11:54:11

Good luck to all who are in a position to make positive changes. Go for it! Unfortunately, there is the opposite side of the coin, where the enforced changes tend to be negative. My DH's PD is forcing us to become more and more housebound, and having to give up hobbies, social activities etc. I'm having to juggle when I can get out, and prioritise what I should do in that small window. It means that I'll have to focus on more domestic activities (not housework!!). I like to knit and crochet, and have a large enough stash of yarn to probably last my lifetime. I have photographs with which I aim to organise into albums, scrapbooks, photo books etc. There are DVD's and boxed sets that haven't been watched, books not read..... The list goes on. I also have a garden to do! I won't give up the more adventurous ideas quite yet, either. All of you who can, do it now, while you can, and enjoy every minute.

Thirdinline Sun 13-Aug-17 11:56:15

I too was going to recommend volunteering for those who wish to make a new start, but don't have funds. There are so many benefits, I think the best for me is that I always come away feeling so much better than when I went in. There are many different things you can volunteer to do, try to work out what would suit your talents and interests, plus the amount of time & energy you can commit. Also, don't be put off if you try something & it doesn't float your boat. Like bridge clubs, one size does not fit al! X

Witzend Sun 13-Aug-17 12:26:42

Not nearly as adventurous as some, but after retiring I took up the piano again. Had not played since the age of 10 or 11 and had only ever passed grade 2, so virtually had to start again from scratch.
After about a year of working on my own I joined a group (adult) class and after a few years am now playing grade 5/6 level pieces. The current class is a good means of spurring me on since a couple of others are at least grade 8 standard! Though we do vary an awful lot.

The group class for complete beginners is always very popular and quite a few people who started from scratch have been going for years and moving up the groups, so if anyone else fancies it, you might find a similar class nearby.

grandMattie Sun 13-Aug-17 12:41:19

Don't forget your local library [if you still have one] is a mine of information and a good place to start. Ours hosts not only several book groups, but Scrabble, Mah Jong, a craft group and a canasta group. It will no doubt list all sorts of classes and volunteering things.
Good luck.

Apricity Sun 13-Aug-17 12:44:29

What a great lot of suggestions offered. After dark nights of the soul there are no easy or one stop solutions. I think that if you can get to the point of thinking it is good to be alive each morning and to enjoy the beauty around us such as sunsets, gardens, friends then this is a good start. A dear friend of mine just says never lose your sense of Wow! I do like the idea of the longboat though. Sounds wonderful.

seemercloud Sun 13-Aug-17 12:54:16

Appygran, I would add dog walking into the possibles list, if you like dogs. I too had a big change in my life in my late 60s. I walk dogs for a charity who find dog walkers for the elderly, unwell or no longer able. Apart from the obvious help for the worried owner, it's good exercise for you too: the commitment spurs you on a bit (though it's not binding) and most doggie people are very friendly. (I didn't find much conversation at the gym)

Luckylegs9 Sun 13-Aug-17 12:54:32

Wow. I am having to go through all above posts again, I am truly in awe of you. What a resourceful crowd. Eglantine, do I detect a naughty streak there? It's what you don't do that you regret I am told, so I too must get a little out of my comfort zone, Theobird, how absolutely fantastic you really have gone for it. If you ever find yourself around the Fazely Canal or those in Brmngham, please let me know, I will come and see you bring some thing homemade
or we could go for a drink. That's if you would like to of course. I have slight reservations about Bridge, I have a friend whose life is taken over with it, don't want that also know it can be hard to learn! Back to read all the other suggestions. Thank you.

Gaggi3 Sun 13-Aug-17 12:56:23

Sorry for your loss, appygran, flowers. I really admire your positive attitude, despite the grief you are feeling. Your late husband would be proud.

Ranworth1 Sun 13-Aug-17 13:06:44

I joined a table tennis club at the age of 69 - great fun. The other players are mostly my age, and we play twice a week. We also have one player in a wheelchair who is one of the best players. Attached to this club is a rambling group - once a fortnight we do 6-7 walks across Dartmoor. smile