Gransnet forums

Relationships

Work at 70

(46 Posts)
LuckyFour Thu 19-Oct-17 12:08:22

I have the possibility of a two days a week job working at a very nice shop in town. I am 70 and fit and healthy and interested in fashion. I've been retired for seven years. Has anyone gone back to work at this age? Is it feasible/sensible?Haven't told Dh yet as he would say don't do it. Advice please.

humptydumpty Thu 19-Oct-17 12:30:03

Lucky do what you want - no reason at all why you shouldn't take up the job - go for it! Why would DH say no? would he be put out at not having your company those 2 days?

Alima Thu 19-Oct-17 12:50:07

I agree with humpty, do what you want to do. If you don't you may think "what if" in the future.

MissAdventure Thu 19-Oct-17 12:55:36

Go for it, if you want to. Remember though, that Christmas is coming and a shop may well expect you to work in the days before, and between then and new year.

Nannarose Thu 19-Oct-17 13:02:02

I would be careful about what is expected of you. It is one thing to be ' fit and healthy ' and another to stand on your feet all day, especially if they specify certain clothes and footwear. Also, as MissA says, be clear about the days you are happy to do. However, I suspect they will be very nice to you, as they will probably want you to appeal to ' our demographic ' ie: the ones with money!
I had a friend who did exactly this until almost 80, and loved it.

Riverwalk Thu 19-Oct-17 13:10:59

I know someone who returned to full-time nursing aged 68, after retiring at 60.

glammanana Thu 19-Oct-17 13:22:42

Lucky After retiring twice since 60 I went back to work full time at 64 running a shop and several volunteer staff I have retired again at 67 now as the shop has closed down,I enjoyed my time but must say it was very tiring on the feet and mentally.
If you want to do the 2 days explain to hubby you do need the stimulation of other people and that he can't dominate your time all the time.Enjoy and good luck

Cold Thu 19-Oct-17 20:47:54

If you feel like doing it - I would say go for it!

Just saw the programme on ITV about retirement and the 92 year old (yes 92!) who works in ASDA moving the trollies and baskets
www.itv.com/news/2017-10-19/work-til-you-drop-tonight/

tiredoldwoman Fri 20-Oct-17 05:19:21

Cold , I saw him too and couldn't believe his age ! He was certainly worth employing ! I've aged dramatically this year , joints are sore and I'm not as strong as I was , I'm beginning to think that I'm not worth employing these days ?
However he's inspired me to get fit and strong again as I want to keep working , too .
Luckyfour , go for the job , it sounds exciting and glamourous !

tiredoldwoman Fri 20-Oct-17 05:22:51

I also watched Who Will Pick Our Berries the previous evening , about Brexit affecting work permits and how it might end the ' army' of pickers who come in from EU countries . Maybe the 2 programmes should get together and encourage older workers down onto the farms - I would love it !

M0nica Fri 20-Oct-17 07:02:55

DH 'retired' at 60 and went straight back to work as a freelance consultant. He is now 74 and is finally saying he will stop because he is beginning to find the overseas travel and long days on site too tiring.

midsummermadness Fri 20-Oct-17 10:35:30

If you can't please yourself at 70, when can you? I am 75 and still working part time. And loving it. Yes, I do get a bit more tired than I used to, but my brain is still active and I am getting a great deal of pleasure to find myself still having a role in the world. So, go for it, you can always change your mind if you don't like it.

Lyndie Fri 20-Oct-17 10:37:43

Try it . You can leave if it doesn't work out.

peaches50 Fri 20-Oct-17 10:37:48

Lucky you - think of the staff discount! Brilliant - jump at it and if you cant do it/dont like it give notice. Life's all about grasping opportunities - a 'glass half full' kinda gal I drive everyone round me berserk with my optimism and love of life; dont doubt yourself your dh should enjoy the perks - a happy wife happy life - someone who brings fresh conversations, anecdotes back home to share and the extra money will be nice wont it? Dont hesitate and look forward to you sharing how you get on....

loopyloo Fri 20-Oct-17 10:46:36

Sounds brilliant. The Queen is still working and she's in her 90s.

Karanlouise Fri 20-Oct-17 10:48:22

Go for it, is only a couple of days a week for 2 weeks but I'm sure it will be a good experience and may lead to more opportunities in the future. Enjoy, I would jump at the chance if it was me. smile

Karanlouise Fri 20-Oct-17 10:50:18

Sorry didn't read post properly and see it's not just two weeks, would still give it a go. Have fun.

Kim19 Fri 20-Oct-17 10:53:43

Sounds good to me. What's the harm in trying? May be an inroads to lots of new experiences and friendships. Good luck!

JanaNana Fri 20-Oct-17 11:08:36

If you feel you can do it..go for it. After all if you find it more tiring or stressful you can always leave. Maybe your husband is enjoying having the freedom from you both working and being able to do things on the spur of the moment....perhaps he would be worried that two days might turn into three or more! Be sure you know all this beforehand so that you can reassure him.

chrissyh Fri 20-Oct-17 11:50:19

My aunt, who started work in a chemist stop age 16, finally retired from said shop age 74. She was only doing a couple of days by then. She was a single lady who lived on her own once my gran died, so it got her out and meeting people. She used to go round the supermarket adding her shopping up in her head as she went (not a week's shopping, obviously) and would amaze the young check out assistants by giving them the correct money as soon as they told her how much. She died age 94 with all her marbles.

jangeo44 Fri 20-Oct-17 11:51:14

Go for it - if you are feeling fit and healthy. I am almost 74 and have been doing a paper round for our local Newsagents. I leave home at 5.20am and get back at just gone 7.00am seven days a week. The walking and mental stimulation has done me a power of good. Nice cup of tea made by dh when I get home.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 20-Oct-17 12:04:53

If you want to do it, and your husband isn't going to really be a nuisance about it if you do go to work a couple of days, I would say it will be nice for you to see some other people .

However, check whether it will affect the amount you are receiving in OAP or private pensions and whether it will move you into a higher Income tax bracket before you start, so you don't get any unpleasant surprises after you start work.

I would ask for a written agreement regarding hours, pay and a written job description too, again not because you don't trust your prospective employer, but to avoid misunderstandings

Hellsgrandad Fri 20-Oct-17 12:10:13

Go for it Lucky. I'm 81 and still working at a university. Not only do I enjoy it but working in young company stops me from feeling my age.
Best of luck and enjoy every moment.

Theoddbird Fri 20-Oct-17 12:30:04

Go for it... You will love the interaction with customers and it will keep your brain working. Enjoy x

Tessa101 Fri 20-Oct-17 13:06:57

Definitely go for it I bet you will enjoy it, however you will feel tired after being on your feet all day. And do as another poster suggested beware busy time in retail make sure you stick to hours you’ve agreed. Good luck let us know how it goes.