Gransnet forums

Relationships

Cutting and hurtful

(76 Posts)
annsixty Fri 09-Feb-18 09:57:50

There are currently 2 threads talking about remarks deemed to be hurtful in some way, have you been in such a situation where you really want to end the friendship for good?
I have posted many times about a friend of mine of 40+ years. She is only interested in her family and their financial worth and her GC's outstanding educational brilliance, but folk just smile and get on with it.
However she is the queen of cutting remarks.
Her H died 5 years ago and her S' s stayed initially sorting things but had to go back to their own lives after a few days.
She rang me to ask if I would go with her to register the death.
About 3 months ago, I was having coffee with her and another friend when for some reason, the subject cropped up.
Without even glancing at me, she said " the boys asked M if she would go with me but she couldn't., so now for the first time Ann knows she was only second choice "
It was the straw that broke the camel's back.
I was staggered at her nerve and since then, I have never rung her, although I answer the phone to her.
I never visit when the other friend does.

I will see her on Tuesday when we go for lunch for the other friends birthday, but that is it.
She hasn't realised of course. That is a measure of her self centeredness.

TwiceAsNice Fri 09-Feb-18 10:01:46

Why are you still involved with this woman? Life is too short

Smileless2012 Fri 09-Feb-18 10:03:55

Well with friends like that annsixty who needs enemies. I was wondering while reading your post why you didn't say something back to her when she said you'd been second choice but your last sentence explained why.

With some one who is that self centered, you'd be wasting your breath.

Do any of her other 'friends' comment on her nastiness?

Charleygirl Fri 09-Feb-18 10:04:27

Oh Ann how rude of her- no need to be so hurtful. If you want to see her fine, if not also fine. I think you are doing the correct thing by not bothering to contact her.

BlueBelle Fri 09-Feb-18 10:06:08

Why why why do prople have these ‘friends’ in their lives who cause them pain, friendship is about happiness love kindness move on to someone who you can trust and have fun with

Jane10 Fri 09-Feb-18 10:07:48

I'm amazed at your restraint and politeness annsixty. You are very clearly a much better person than she is.

glammanana Fri 09-Feb-18 10:14:56

ann I feel for you 40+ yrs is such a long time and I really don't think you are going to change her now do you? she has gotten away with behaviour for so long she probably doesn't realise she is doing it .I would just see her when in a group and not bother with her again.

kittylester Fri 09-Feb-18 10:15:35

Ann flowers That was downright nasty!

Don't we all have people like that in our lives? It's not easy to get rid of them because they are often part of an intricate web which involves people we do want to be friends with.

crazyH Fri 09-Feb-18 10:26:44

Fortunately, I only have few good friends...we do banter but there's nothing malicious. But unfortunately, one or two members of my family make very "cutting" remarks to me ...but because they are immediate family, I can't do much about it. I grin and bear it. You can choose your friends but not your family.
Get her out of your life. She seems to be a nasty piece of work.
All the best Ann ! x

GlamM Fri 09-Feb-18 10:35:46

Bye Bye Felicia.

mollie Fri 09-Feb-18 10:41:36

I don’t suppose she could have started to tell the tale, realised what she was letting slip and tried, clumsily, to make a bit of a joke out of it? I’ve done that and it’s a nightmare. I once explained to a friend that I’d used a recent move (30 years ago now) to ‘lose’ some unwanted friends. Of course she had been one but had put herself out to track me down. I felt a total rat!

But as others have said, life is too short to have friends who arent! And the fact the relationship has endured so long isn’t a reason to continue if you are unhappy.

cornergran Fri 09-Feb-18 10:44:56

Let her go ann, she’s just not a true friend.

silverlining48 Fri 09-Feb-18 11:09:34

I had a lifelong friend until last year when I realised our friendship had changed, and not for the better. There were many things I had tolerated for the sake of our long friendship but her cold uncaring attitude after my dd was diagnosed with aggressive bc and husband with pc was the last straw. I sent her a letter and have not heard a word since. Her loss.

Gabrielle8 Fri 09-Feb-18 17:10:56

Ann. You should have said “Let’s hope M’s available when it’s your turn”.

Alexa Fri 09-Feb-18 17:18:32

I think with hindsight you may have said "Don't be so bloody rude!"

1974cookie Fri 09-Feb-18 17:25:42

Think that you added an extra letter when you called her a friend Ann. I think that you meant fiend.
What a dreadfully self centered lady. Bid her goodbye Ann before she really drags you down.

tessagee Fri 09-Feb-18 17:50:21

I had a similar problem with a family member who over the years would deliver nasty cutting remarks although she could also be very kind. Some time ago I was unable to oblige her due to illness. She took offence and has stopped all contact. Oh the relief of no longer fielding those remarks! Why did I put up with it for so long?

Luckygirl Fri 09-Feb-18 17:55:50

That is a bit out of order - but do try not to take it to heart. It simply isn't worth it. Life, as others have have said, is simply too short. And you have quite enough on your plate. I doubt she is about to change now.

Take care. Look after yourself. The other day when DD and I were talking, she said I must look after myself as well as OH as "You can't pour from an empty jug." I am sure she is right.

ctussaud Sat 10-Feb-18 09:16:50

CrazyH wrote: "But unfortunately, one or two members of my family make very "cutting" remarks to me ...but because they are immediate family, I can't do much about it. I grin and bear it. "

My late husband had a wonderful way of dealing with this sort of thing. He'd say
"Tell me; does it come easy to you, or do you work hard at it?"
They'd say "What are you talking about?"
He'd say "Being so unpleasant".

inishowen Sat 10-Feb-18 09:26:18

I've had a friend since childhood. One evening she was drunk and began talking about my husband. She said "he's fat and got grey hair, lets face it, he's got nothing going for him". I was staggered as she's a widow and my husband has been so helpful over the years. I have kept a polite distance since then.

cheneslieges132 Sat 10-Feb-18 09:30:48

We all have had "friends" for the greatest part of our life (possibly even from Infants School) and silently put up with their poor behaviour. But something finally makes the decision to end that "friendship" - in my case, the girl I thought was my best friend finally showed her true colours, when, after the devastating Floods in my town in 2005 I had concerned enquries from all my other friends - even from all around the world. This "friend" however, did not even ring me - and as she has never visited me (it was a long-distance friendship by now, as she lived in South Africa) she could not possible know if my part of town was badly affected. I therefore decided to "keep quiet" and did not nag her ... however, 3 months later, when it came around to her Birthday, I, for the very first time in over 50 years, did not send her a Birthday Card. Two days later, I discovered a nasty message on my Answerphone - "So where's my Card then???" I waited a few days and then wrote a letter to tell he just what I thought. Finally I had the courage to let her know how badly she had treated me all those years. I received no reply. Good riddance.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 10-Feb-18 09:31:24

We don't like to be unpleasant do we? You're doing the right thing by not bothering to contact her first but I wonder, do you have a phone which has contact details? And if so when her number comes up could you just not answer? I know that seems the cowardly way out (and I'm the original Mrs Non-confrontational) but maybe she'll eventually get the message.

Madgran77 Sat 10-Feb-18 09:32:58

Te best answer to that sort of remark is "And your point is?"

radicalnan Sat 10-Feb-18 09:33:23

'You have posted many times' why?

Just get rid of her or admit that she does have some measure of value to you. Life is too short to waste time on friendships that have become a poor fit.

peaches50 Sat 10-Feb-18 09:42:18

Gabrielle8 haha. Ann, with grey hairs comes the knowledge that people who are unhappy and self centred lash out to try to wipe the smile off us optimists' faces. Some mean it in which case high cliff swift kick on posterior might fix the problem. The others who don't mean it still suck all vitality and joy out of the relationship - you might want to support and forgive but put a limit on the martyrdom as others advise. Incidentally I've found they often excuse their own insensitivity or spite by saying I'm a plain speaker with some self satisfaction!