Relationships

Forgetting Dad

(14 Posts)
crazyH Mon 05-Mar-18 22:15:48

Where's the OP.....no update !!...hmmmmm

BlueBelle Thu 22-Feb-18 04:33:07

Well unless Chris comes back an enlightens us a bit more nothing much to add

merlotgran Thu 22-Feb-18 00:25:06

I've just had a lightbulb moment. In my mothers care home the residents with zimmer frames would often leave them in the corridor outside the TV room so maybe the OP's father just forgets where he's left it?

Oopsadaisy12 Wed 21-Feb-18 20:20:44

I don’t think he’s forgetting or forgetful, I just don’t think that he wants to use it, probably feels it’s easier to hold onto the furniture, worktops etc.
We are having to move a lot of furniture in MILs house at the moment so that she can use a walker when she is sent home from hospital next week, everything will have to be put into another room, hopefully she won’t try to get in there and fish stuff out.
Will she use her walker?
Probably not.
She’s nearly 90 and no one is going to tell her what to do. Apparently.

crazyH Wed 21-Feb-18 20:18:17

This is a strange post. He obviously doesn't need a walker if he is "walking" past you. I'm not being flippant but should the walker/ walking stick be near him, rather than front of the TV room. Probably what the OP means is that the Doctors have advised him to use his walker even though he can walk...he is probably just unsteady on his feet.

Madgran77 Wed 21-Feb-18 20:12:29

I think it means Forgetful Dad rather than forgetting!!

merlotgran Wed 21-Feb-18 18:10:04

He walks right past you?

Surely he wouldn't forget his walker if he really needed it.

BlueBelle Wed 21-Feb-18 18:06:57

Oh I read it as ....post it notes reminding him

He’d hardly be reading notice boards in a care home about his walker useage
Does dad have dementia ?
Does he live on his own, with you or in a care home ?
Is he doddery on his feet ?
Is the walker the right height some people are uncomfortable as they are not measured properly for the walker ?
You can’t force him only remind him

Coolgran65 Wed 21-Feb-18 17:22:38

MawBroon I think wer'e assuming it's the tv room in a care home. The poster boards are likely the notice boards.

M0nica Wed 21-Feb-18 17:18:40

Does he have dementia? That could explain his failure to use his frame. He just forgets he has a walker and that the one in front of the TV is his.

MawBroon Wed 21-Feb-18 17:12:05

I don’t understand this thread. Who or what is forgetting Dad?
Within the domestic environment a walking frame may be just too cumbersome and he may be more comfortable steadying himself on the furniture. Where is this TV room? Is he in a care home? What are” poster boards?”:
Where is he going when he gets up and walks across the room? What is the relevance of walking past you - perhaps what he wants to do IS more important.
I am just confused

Smileless2012 Wed 21-Feb-18 16:49:06

I think Willow is right Chris. Unless your dad is in a care home where there are staff on hand to reinforce the importance of using his walker there's really nothing you can do.

Your mum reminds me of my dear gran Willow. She never needed a walker but definitely needed a hearing aid. We'd wear ourselves out almost shouting at her and would invariably end up with a headache because the tv was on so loud.

When she died we found her hearing aid in it's box and still in the little cellophane bag. She swore she just couldn't get used to it and it turned out she'd never used it!!

Willow500 Wed 21-Feb-18 16:41:24

Is he in a care home? The staff should be encouraging him to use it but if he's still in his own home there's not a lot you can do - my mum could hardly walk but wouldn't use hers and would rather hold onto the furniture to get round their house.

Chris6753 Wed 21-Feb-18 16:38:26

Our major problem is that Dad is forgetting his walker. He was told by 5 doctors that he needs this. The walker is right in front of his TV room. What we do not get he will walk right past us, because he thinks his question or problem is more importance. We have try explaining this to Dad not to do this, that nothing is more importance than that walker. He is still forgetting, how can we get him to not forget. Notes or poster boards do not work. HELP!