Gransnet forums

Relationships

How can I support my dad

(10 Posts)
gummybears Fri 02-Mar-18 12:51:50

I could use some advice about how to support my dad in a difficult situation, please. I can't ask my mum for reasons that will become apparent.

My dad was estranged from his mum for a number of years in my childhood. There was an exchange of opinions between him and a (now ex) SIL, wife of the favourite son, amd the upshot was that my gran said she never wanted to see any of us ever again, amd went no contact with us. From memory this lasted about four years.

There was eventually a reconcilation of sorts and dad resumed regular visits. I often accompanied him at his request, but in my mid teens she told him to stop bringing me because my cousins had complained about it. We found out from my aunt and cousins themselves (we had continued to see them throughout and as adults we keep in touch often and get on well) that this was untrue, but obviously we respected her wishes and I did not see her again for about ten years.

At that point, favourite son remarried and gran confronted me at the wedding to say she never heard from me. I was honestly confused and said to her that it was her who had asked not to see me, I had always offered to visit. She walked away from me. This to date is the last time I saw her.

I have invited her to all the occasions in my life: wedding, baptisms etc. She has sent word through father that she would not attend and did not. I send her a Christmas card every year.

Some months ago, she was persuaded by favourite son and another aunt to sign a questionable power of attorney without independent legal advice. I was a family lawyer before my littles were born, and I have some very serious concerns about this document and the circumstances in which it was signed. Within weeks, a high five figure sum was cleaned out of her accounts by uncle and she was placed in a residential home. She eventually contacted my father to tell him that she had been told she was going "for respite" and now no ome would remove her. My father secured her release and there has been much trouble between her, uncle and aunt2 since she got home. Uncle is unwilling to say where the money has gone. There is no possibility of involving police or lawyers over this.

Father offered her my legal advice and that I would look at the PoA document, but she told him she had lost it. He has not pursued this.

She got flu last month and has been hospitalised ever since. She has also been diagnosed with several cancers during this stay. It is unlikely she will be discharged home. She has begun to act strangely towards father and me, saying we are her"only decent family" and royally insulting the rest of them. She has asked for a photo of my littles, who are the only great grandchildren she has never met. I have repeatedly offered dad that I would join him with the littles on one of his visits, but he is against this. I have stopped offering for now as he obviously has his reasons and I respect his judgement immensely.

I supplied a professional photo in a silver frame by way of a gift and enclosed a short warm note. She has refused to see any of her other great grandchildren for some time as one is disabled and the others were born to unmarried parents. These are the reasons she gives ro the whole family. My cousins are offended but she has also now royally insulted them personally and forbid them to have any contact with her.

Her prognosis given her advanced age and the multiple cancers is pretty bleak. Dad is upset by this but mum has hated her forever and is openly rejoicing in this turn of events. I want to be a support to dad in this time as no one else will be. My brother refused to invite her to his wedding or to attend her funeral when the time comes and has stated she has always been dead to him. I worry about my dad. What do you think I can do to support him? Reaching out to my gran personally does not seem like a possibility. I assume my father has kept her and the littles apart for good reason. I have not set eyes on her for almost fifteen years so I have no idea if she would be cruel towards us. Obviously I have never been her favourite.

Dad wants me to go to the funeral in due course and I will of course honour his wishes. I have no idea what else I can do. He is not an externally emotional person and his expressing distress at this situation is a sign that he really is very upset. I love him dearly and want to help. Mum is openly laughing and joking about it so there is no point asking her anything.

Any suggestions?

Oopsadaisy12 Fri 02-Mar-18 13:46:53

It doesn’t sound as though there is much you can do, you have offered to go with your Father to visit your GM, everthing you have offered to do, he has refused, but he knows that you care about him.
Going with him to the funeral will be of comfort to him , I’m sure.
Maybe afterwards he will be able to open up and tell you what really has been happening in his family.
TBH it all sounds as though Your GM started to play off brothers and sisters against each other, who knows why?
But I’m afraid that you may never get the answers to any of your questions.

BlueBelle Fri 02-Mar-18 14:05:19

I agree with oopsadaisey there isn’t much you can do if you’ve sat down with a cup of coffee and asked your dad outright and he won’t or can’t give you an answer there’s nothing else left It seems sad that she can’t get to see your children The whole family apart from Dad sound pretty disfunctional I suppose they have learned it from disfunctional gran do you believe your uncle has stolen the large amount of money missing?
I suppose all her nastiness and dividing of the family have come home to roost poor old girl I wonder what he4 childhood young life was like
Not nice of your mum to take delight in another’s illness and expected demise how ever much she doesn’t like her

janeainsworth Fri 02-Mar-18 14:43:51

The only positive suggestion I can make gummybears is that you have a word with your mother and ask her to stop being so unfeeling towards your father. Explain the distress he will be feeling at the imminent loss of his mother.
I think the best way you can support your father is simply by providing a listening ear, which you have been doing.
It’s a distressing time even in the best circumstances. flowers

gummybears Fri 02-Mar-18 14:45:41

Thanks ladies. It's a relief to me that you don't think I have overlooked anything obvious I could do.

Dad and I are very close and he confides in me, so I am sure in due course if he wants to talk to me about it, he will.

Mum is not very nice to us as a rule, but we will leave that there. She is our responsibility and we care for her as best we can.

Bluebelle, I am absolutely certain he has stolen it. All granny is able to confirm is that he transferred it out of the joint account he has with her into his personal account and I fully expect it has been moved around more since then. He was the only one who knew she had this money, and he knew she had not declared it for housing benefit purposes. Essentially she has committed a very significant benefit fraud and the children will not involve the police over the money as she is likely to be prosecuted. I have said to dad he might want to rethink this issue after she passes as clearly uncle was aware this fraud was being committed.

M0nica Fri 02-Mar-18 15:35:40

gummybear It is highly improbable that the police will prosecute an exceedingly elderly and seriously ill woman. For the simple reason that she is too ill to stand trial. It is a waste of their time. They are far more likely to prosecute the uncle who has enabled this to happen.

The worst that will happen is that whoever manages her affairs will get a bill for the money she has to pay back and if necessary the Inland Revenue will ask your uncle to account for all her money, including requiring to see bank statements. If he does not co-operate he could be in trouble. He could, in extreme circumstances be made bankrupt.

I also think it is unlikely that the relevant authorities do not know about this money as every bank, building society and savings institute in the country has to send the Inland Revenue a complete list of every single account holder and how much money is in their account and these returns are run against the benefit database and they very quickly pick up those who by accident or design have not declared all their savings. I have worked as a benefit advisor and helped people caught by the revenue sort out their affairs.

As I said, I think all this talk about your grandmother being prosecuted is highly unlikely. Your uncle seems to be trying to get away with the money by scaring you all off. Ignore him and if you feel strongly enough talk, first to the CAB (Citizens' Advice Bureau) or your local Age UK, who have advisors and /or then go to the police

Starlady Fri 02-Mar-18 17:06:20

Is it possible uncle was trying to help gran hold onto the money and not let it go for housing benefits? Obviously, that still means he's involved in fraud, but it may have been done out of some sort of misplaced loyalty to gran. You tell us he was once her "favourite," so I imagine they were very close. He might have been doing what he felt she wanted him to do. In fact, it sounds like she agreed to it since she can confirm that he transferred it into his personal account.

I think uncle duped her where the residential home was concerned. But he wouldn't be the first DS or DD who did this when they felt their parent really couldn't take care of themselves anymore and wasn't facing it. Could that be what happened? Since you haven't actually seen gran for 15 years, maybe you don't really know. Sorry to say, subsequent events suggest he was right that she really couldn't live at home anymore.

But if she okayed the money transfer, then it wasn't really "stealing," surely? Done for fraudulent purposes, yes, as far as the residential home is concerned, but not stealing from gran. Clearly, uncle thought she would be in the home permanently and didn't expect her to need the money for anything else (not saying that excuses him). Sounds like she changed her mind after he left her in the home, but that doesn't alter the fact that she initially okayed it, does it?

So no, I wouldn't go to the police, etc. That would only cause more family drama, which I doubt you or your dad want. Let the Inland Revenue deal with him if they will.

As for being a support to your dad, I agree with others that you've done all you can. And that continuing to listen and attending the funeral when the time comes are the best you can do now. Not saying you should be there for her, but it's a good way to support your dad.

Starlady Fri 02-Mar-18 17:08:54

Adding... Imo, it's great that you and your dad have a close relationship. But I think it's sad he has to confide in his dd instead of his wife - your mum. Have they ever tried going to Relate or anything like that? If not, perhaps it isn't too late?

GillT57 Fri 02-Mar-18 18:27:04

Your priority, quite rightly is your Father who has shared his problems and worries. The rest of the family will have to live with their own consciences, including your own Mother. However manipulative and poisonous your grandmother has been, your Mother should not be rejoicing in her imminent death.

gummybears Fri 02-Mar-18 21:02:56

Jus to confirm, I absolutely would do nothing about the money situation at all. That is entirely for my father to deal with. There is bad feeling because aunt1 knows gran's will requires her estate to be split four ways on her death and both the aunts think uncle is hiding the money so that it will not end up split on her death. This is in no way my business and I will keep as far as humanly possible from the fallout after gran's death.

As for mum, she has borderline personality disorder, severe anxiety, and periodic episodes of psychotic illness. She is also violent. This has been the case since before my birth. She has never accepted any form of medication, therapy or other help with her problems and has not led what would you would consider a normal life for decades. We have a very difficult time with her but as I say, she is our responsibility. Father and I do the best we can to care for her and meet her needs.