Gransnet forums

Relationships

I'm getting married!

(101 Posts)
Burypudding Mon 16-Apr-18 21:15:21

I was proposed to on Saturday and I accepted! I met my new gorgeous man while in hospital, he was visiting his mother and we got talking, and it went on from there. He's a bit younger than me, 45 years old to be precise, lovely, kind and genuine. I am so excited. My ring is a beautiful ruby (very apt) with two little diamonds either side, in white gold.

We are planning for next year to get married. Neither of us want a church service or a register office, so I am asking if any of you have any ideas of other types of weddings? It will be a small gathering so nothing on a grand scale please.

All ideas welcome though. Thank you. Xxx

Marthajolly1 Tue 17-Apr-18 09:58:34

Really lovely news Ruby. Congratulations. Good luck with the wedding planning, I hope your venue is just what you are looking for. Will be looking out for your progress flowers

Lupatria Tue 17-Apr-18 09:59:09

many congratulations to both of you flowers wine

Tessa101 Tue 17-Apr-18 10:02:18

Congratulations lovely news.flowers

Panache Tue 17-Apr-18 10:11:50

Congratulations Ruby and how thrilling to know you can quite obviously pick up more than a few bugs when Hospital bound!!
A lovely heart warming story and although I have no venues to offer, I do love the sound of the Woodland Trust wedding that BBevan mentioned..............a very Springlike start into, hopefully, a life of happy wedded bliss.

henetha Tue 17-Apr-18 10:21:42

Wishing you great happiness and contentment. Congratulations. smile

Coconut Tue 17-Apr-18 10:21:55

Congratulations ! My DD and SIL became engaged on the shores of Loch Lomond. Then they both always wanted to go to New York .. so they did, and married in the Ladies Pavilion in Central Park ... it was wonderful. So pick your dream destination and have a ceremony and honeymoon all in one ... wish you every happiness ?

Nanabilly Tue 17-Apr-18 10:22:21

Congratulations to you both!
No ideas for a wedding but "shall we all go and buy a hat?"

Lilyflower Tue 17-Apr-18 10:35:22

Go to Cliveden. I saw a wedding there on Saturday and it's magical. If you go for their small package it's not unreasonable for an incredible experience.

Or don't. I am sure that goodwill and romance will make anything special.

Kim19 Tue 17-Apr-18 10:47:44

How lovely! I wish you both every happiness.

littleflo Tue 17-Apr-18 10:48:57

Congratulations. My mum had been married 30years when she was widowed at 50. Five years later she married a man 7 years younger than herself. They were married for 39years. She was so lucky to have two very good husbands and I hope you will get as much joy as she did..

Neilspurgeon0 Tue 17-Apr-18 10:50:27

Utter happiness to you both. wink

kazzer Tue 17-Apr-18 10:53:45

Congratulations! Wherever you decide on will be the best for you both, good luck and happiness

Happysexagenarian Tue 17-Apr-18 10:54:35

Warmest congratulations to you both!

stella1949 Tue 17-Apr-18 10:58:12

Congratulations ! We got married at. 53 and 64, and just had the family . The venue was a local restaurant which does weddings in the garden. I walked down the aisle ( the path ) with my son, to the music of ABBA singing " I do, I do" , what a lovely day . Do it your way and enjoy every minute.

blueberry1 Tue 17-Apr-18 11:15:28

Congratulations to you both! How lovely to hear some happy news.If you can find a small hotel that does weddings it will probably be more personal than a large venue.Or take a look at this site for ideas - www.hitched.co.uk

CaroleAnne Tue 17-Apr-18 11:17:38

Congratulations. May it be a long and happy one.

Musicelf Tue 17-Apr-18 11:18:21

Many congratulations! I married again at 50, and although we had a small registry office thing, followed by a family lunch at a pub, I think in retrospect I would have liked a wedding in a NT property.

Having said that, wherever you choose will be special, and I certainly remember my small wedding far better than I remember the big fancy one years ago.

GabriellaG Tue 17-Apr-18 11:29:49

Wow! Warm congratulations BuryPud.
I hope you have a truly memorable day. ??????
Is this your first? Is it his first?
Do tell us.

GabriellaG Tue 17-Apr-18 11:33:36

Where did the name Ruby come from?
The OP's ring is a ruby but no mention of her name being Ruby.

Rosina Tue 17-Apr-18 11:35:30

Lovely to read such news - good for you. I wish you both every happiness

GabriellaG Tue 17-Apr-18 11:35:47

Ok...apt? Was that the hint?

BluebellGran Tue 17-Apr-18 11:35:58

Congratulations! Have a look at the British Humanist Association site re your wedding. They help you have a beautiful personal ceremony.

DanniRae Tue 17-Apr-18 11:36:43

Delighted to hear your wonderful news. I wish you both a very happy life together winewine
As has already been said please keep us up to date with all the arrangements, what you are going to wear, if you need me as a mature bridesmaid (I know another gransnetter has already offered but the more the merrier), the venue, the honeymoon........Oh everthing!! It's so exciting grin

sarahellenwhitney Tue 17-Apr-18 11:38:23

Every happiness and many days of sunshine
To you both wine.

Auntieflo Tue 17-Apr-18 11:42:43

What lovely news Ruby. I am soooo. pleased for you, and you can bet your bottom dollar that all us GN's that followed your trials and tribulations in a previous incarnation smile. will also want to be your virtual bridesmaids. Gosh what larks, do tell all.