Gransnet forums

Relationships

I'm getting married!

(100 Posts)
Burypudding Mon 16-Apr-18 21:15:21

I was proposed to on Saturday and I accepted! I met my new gorgeous man while in hospital, he was visiting his mother and we got talking, and it went on from there. He's a bit younger than me, 45 years old to be precise, lovely, kind and genuine. I am so excited. My ring is a beautiful ruby (very apt) with two little diamonds either side, in white gold.

We are planning for next year to get married. Neither of us want a church service or a register office, so I am asking if any of you have any ideas of other types of weddings? It will be a small gathering so nothing on a grand scale please.

All ideas welcome though. Thank you. Xxx

Peep Mon 16-Apr-18 21:22:24

Many congratulations Ruby.

BBbevan Mon 16-Apr-18 21:23:12

Depending on the time of year you will be getting married, a woodland wedding sounds lovely. The Woodland Trust do them. Just a suggestion, but I would have loved one in the spring. With blossom and bluebells

BBbevan Mon 16-Apr-18 21:24:22

Sorry, I forgot to say congratulations

hildajenniJ Mon 16-Apr-18 21:30:40

My DD and SiL had their wedding at a B&B in Scotland. It was a converted Chapel. The proprietors made the arrangements and everything went well.
Here are a few ideas

Chinesecrested Mon 16-Apr-18 21:34:32

Congratulations Bury. Our local Town Hall does weddings, as do most decent hotels these days. I expect that most National Trust properties do, too. Good luck, have fun.

hildajenniJ Mon 16-Apr-18 21:35:52

Or, you try Dick and Angel Strawbridge's chateau in France.
Congratulations BuryPudding

Jalima1108 Mon 16-Apr-18 22:31:01

Lovely news!!

There are lots of venues these days for weddings, stately homes, castles, outdoors, even museums, some more unusual than others. Have a google in your area and see what there is.

Cherrytree59 Mon 16-Apr-18 22:39:46

Ruby congratulations.
flowers
Let us (gners) know when you set the date.

Bathsheba Mon 16-Apr-18 22:44:33

Congratulations Ruby, lovely news! And yes, we want a running commentary on all the plans - date, what you'll be wearing, if you're having a cake and what it's like. You know, the usual stuff, we're all really nosy interested and very happy for you smile

crazyH Mon 16-Apr-18 23:36:06

Congratulations and all the best....is this your second time ?
(just nosy)

Chewbacca Mon 16-Apr-18 23:38:07

Many congratulations to you both Ruby, I wish you many years of happiness together.

Nanah67 Tue 17-Apr-18 08:29:29

Congratulations to you both....fantastic ideas from the above poster....hope you have fun choosing..best of luck with it all.

kittylester Tue 17-Apr-18 08:31:44

How lovely, ruby, congratulations!

Luckygirl Tue 17-Apr-18 09:03:19

Lovely news - I wish you every happiness.

I think you will find that the local registry office has a list of venues where weddings can be held - and you can have lots of fun visiting them all.

DD married in an old manor house and had the reception in their barn.

Grammaretto Tue 17-Apr-18 09:13:48

Happy news! Congratulations . There is so much choice nowadays. A meaningful place for you? Maybe not the hospital though.
Very best wishes xxflowers

Teetime Tue 17-Apr-18 09:18:00

Wow burypudding Congratulations. I hope you have a beautiful day and its just what you both want. I'm all for escaping to a lovely beach in the sun all on your own but that's not everyones cup of tea. flowers

Gagagran Tue 17-Apr-18 09:26:26

That's great Ruby - congratulations and much happiness to you both!

I am sure you will find a suitable venue but if the wedding is to be next year you will need to be booking somewhere pdq. They get booked up a long time in advance.

Keep us posted - we are always happy to join in GN's exciting plans! flowers

Harris27 Tue 17-Apr-18 09:40:46

That's lovely news! What about a nice favourite restaurant with all the trimmings. Whatever you decide be happy!! X

radicalnan Tue 17-Apr-18 09:44:09

May you know every happiness!

Should you require a 'very substantial bridesmaid' I am available.

pamdixon Tue 17-Apr-18 09:48:23

Congratulations from me too. Like the others have said, do keep us posted.

Nanny27 Tue 17-Apr-18 09:53:54

radicalnan you do make me ?

luluaugust Tue 17-Apr-18 09:54:32

And congratulations from me. All the local hotels and some of the stately homes round here offer wedding facilities, have a lovely time planning it all.

Nanny27 Tue 17-Apr-18 09:57:13

Senior moment here.. Can't remember how to link my comment to previous post with bold name.

GrandmaMoira Tue 17-Apr-18 09:58:07

Congratulations.