Gransnet forums

Relationships

Embarrassing parents

(36 Posts)
MawBroon Tue 19-Jun-18 07:31:44

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/18/thomas-markle-prince-harry-donald-trump-chance-meghan

Oh dear.
One thing about Michael and Carole Middleton, they have maintained their privacy and never sunk to this level.
Piers Morgan is pretty nauseating too.

BlueBelle Tue 19-Jun-18 07:57:35

I watched that interview then just now saw a follow up with the equally nauseating Burrell bloke ?
I think that man may be a rock round their neck talking about Harrys stance on politics and saying he must never hit Meghan Whaaaaat where does that come from oh my word

I think there is a very valid reason Meghan only invited her Mum over here and as she hasn’t rushed to her fathers side I wonder if he really does have a bad heart at all or was that just a valid reason for him not coming here after his press pictures
I think I read that he’s been paid £7000 for that morning interview

Smileless2012 Tue 19-Jun-18 08:01:12

The RF have been criticised for not giving Meghan's father some pointers, do's and dont's but surely common sense should have told him what was appropriate to repeat and what wasn'thmm.

sodapop Tue 19-Jun-18 08:07:43

Yes I agree Smileless not sure if he is lacking some social skills or just in it for the money.
Meghan's mother was much more dignified and supported her daughter well.

BlueBelle Tue 19-Jun-18 08:09:44

I m sure the Royals have let him know what he should or shouldn’t say Smileless
I think he’s trying the ‘victim’ approach

paddyann Tue 19-Jun-18 08:41:37

I'm quite sure the royals understand theres no such thing as bad publicity,the fawning herds will be out in droves supporting them because of this man.It'll be all "poor Harry ,he's had such a hard life ..and Meghan must be devastated " ..watch this space.
On the other hand we can hope some see through the new earl or Duke or whtever he is now and realise he has a pretty damn good life and millions have had it much harder than him...yes even people who lost parents at an early age and had to cope with being put into care or raised in poverty .I know one or two like that myself .

crazyH Tue 19-Jun-18 09:05:49

I think Mr Markle is trying to rake in as money as he can, while he can. He admits he was paid thousands for those photos , well, didn't he? He and his loud mouthed daughter Samantha are the same. She has now retreated.
I didn't see the interview, but read about it. I feel sorry for Harry and Megan. There'll be more coming out of the woodwork.

Luckygirl Tue 19-Jun-18 09:50:32

Oh dear - silly man.

Iam64 Tue 19-Jun-18 10:16:36

He’s a real pain isn’t he. It seems that it’s all about him. P,us how cheap £7000 - yuk ?

Jaycee5 Tue 19-Jun-18 10:23:45

I thought he came across as socially inept and a bit confused. He obviously realised in the break that he had gone too far and try to rein back. He isn't the brightest tool in the box.
It is a betrayal to release details of a private conversation with a family member and to take money for it makes it worse. They will now have a much more distant relationship which is sad but he won't be able to blame anyone else.
I hope people now stop blaming Meghan for only inviting her mother and are a bit more open hearted towards her.

ajanela Tue 19-Jun-18 10:33:19

I am sure we can just ignore them all. I don't think Harry will be talking to him very often.

Margs Tue 19-Jun-18 10:49:21

I'll bet Meghan is pretty damn glad she's over this side of the Pond now and has the protection of the Royals.

maryeliza54 Tue 19-Jun-18 11:25:56

Well of course the interview didn’t have to happen did it- the TV station did it for the money so why shouldn’t Mr M - he looks as though he needs it. As is so often said on GN the RF is the most amazing thing in the history of the world so I’m sure it will survive a few injudicious interviews. We can rely on our own home grown MSM to say far worse over the years to come.

alreadytaken Tue 19-Jun-18 11:34:55

Clearly Harry was well trained enough not to say anything embarrassing and Meghan will know she also has to be careful. It's rather sad as it means he'll probably see less of her.

If he didnt have heart problems the papers would have been all over that by now.

maddyone Tue 19-Jun-18 11:42:30

Meghan’s mother was so very dignified at the wedding, and I suspect she’ll remain dignified. What we all need to realise is that American culture is very different to British culture, and in addition they do not have a royal family. Whatever our opinions regarding the royal family, we have all been brought up immersed in British culture, including the culture of respect of the royal family. Whilst our culture may well be changing, there is a reason why British people are generally thought to be particularly polite by the people of other countries. Obviously there are well documented exceptions, ie football hooligans, young British people and their excessive drinking in certain foreign resorts, and so on, but the overwhelming opinions of the British appears to be that we are polite, reserved, and display the ‘stiff upper lip.’

Meghan’s father has not absorbed any of this in the culture he lives in, and his behaviour is perfectly in keeping with his own culture. Perhaps he should have been offered some advice, though I’m not sure really, what is it to do with us. Thankfully her mother seems be a very dignified person who if anything seems slightly reserved in her character.

We cannot expect everyone in a country to behave in the same way, nor can we impose British cultural values on those who are not British.

Grannyknot Tue 19-Jun-18 11:43:24

I saw it and just felt sorry for him. The tabloid Press is despicable.

Coolgran65 Tue 19-Jun-18 11:49:11

I only saw a snippet of the interview with Mr M. When he said that he'd told Harry never to 'lift his hand to Megan' my dh and I just looked at each other .... can't repeat the couple of words we uttered. And I don't normally swear.

M0nica Tue 19-Jun-18 12:01:44

Why watch it? I do not bother to watch things like this.

Every family has its embarrassing members, the best thing to do is ignore them.

yaiyai Tue 19-Jun-18 12:16:44

I can’t understand why it was even aired. Who cares?

maryeliza54 Tue 19-Jun-18 12:20:18

Of course you know why it was aired - because there would be a big audience and that would increase advertising revenue. It’s all about the money so why Mr M should not have his bit of the cake......

MawBroon Tue 19-Jun-18 12:22:49

I think people do care that a man should think it necessary or appropriate to make Harry promise to never lift his hand to Meghan and make that a condition of his (superfluous) “consent”
Paw or any of our lovely SILs would have found that totally insulting and it says more about Thomas Markle than about his SIL .
Who does he think he is?

maryeliza54 Tue 19-Jun-18 12:27:11

Well I don’t give a flying fig what Mr M says or thinks about anything - why on earth would I? As a pp said upthread, he’s from a very different cultural context and whatever his views on dv are, they hardly likely to influence or impact on anyone are they?

Willow500 Tue 19-Jun-18 12:29:27

I saw the first part of the interview yesterday and was slightly appalled. Why did they have him on for so long? He came across as slightly confused by the whole thing. Why did PM keep pressing him about Harry's political comments on Trump and Brexit - it was clear nothing much had been said about either and he should have closed that topic down straight away. Ever the journalist though he kept pecking at him for more crumbs of non interesting information. I felt rather sorry for him and feel a few minutes conversation about his health and why he hadn't come to give his daughter away would have been enough - better still he shouldn't have been interviewed at all!

maryeliza54 Tue 19-Jun-18 12:35:49

Willow PM a journalist? Hummmm.

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Jun-18 13:08:07

From 2014:

Former Daily Mirror editor Piers Morgan has been named the most influential UK journalist on social media by Press Gazette.

Sorry maryeliza!