Gransnet forums

Relationships

Stepchildren

(22 Posts)
Liljan Sun 24-Jun-18 10:13:50

This is a long one (apologies) - it’s a long running saga....I married my SC father some 15 years ago, he was divorced with 3 adult C who lived their own independent lives 6 hours away. All good, they came for the wedding and spent a day or two with their dad before the wedding, we got married, spent the night at a hotel before returning to the house to say goodbye to C before they returned home and we went on honeymoon and that is when the problems began...we returned to find the house in a tip, S1 was still inOUR bed with some random woman, they had emptied our drinks cupboard and the empties were now lying around the house. My DH basically told his D we were going out and on our return the house had better be back to the way he had left it. We returned, the house was tidy, C were all up and my DH basically told 2 out of the 3 to go home.

From there on things were strained with the S1 who had been inOUR bed, very little communication, but eventually this was resolved. The C had been spoilt when growing up i.e.Apartment bought for S1 & D to share, (put in their names) S1 refused to share with D so S1 rented apartment (dad paid) but no sooner had it been rented than S1 decided to move in with girlfriend and left dad to continue paying rent until end of lease, left it in such a state that no bond was returned.

Without telling her Dad, D sold apartment to get out of debt she had run up, then decided to move into rented apartment in affluent area with S1 who by this time had split from girlfriend, called dad to ask for deposit, Dad finally said enough was enough and refused. I could go on but I think you get the gist.

The D continued to visit and continued to look for money (or go out “shopping” with her dad and return with numerous “gifts”) but slowly this stopped and she became resentful. She would blank me when her father was not around. There was a big birthday for my DH and it was the first time that all C (both DH & mine) got together since our wedding. It was a disaster, DH’s C pretty much refused to communicate with my C. We went out for dinner and DH’s daughter went to the length of moving seats when my C tried to chat with her. On return to the house, DHs C removed themselves to another room.

And on to the present, D1 got married, prior to the wedding she visited to ask her dad if he would be paying for the wedding. This was in a castle with fireworks etc. DH said he would give her something towards it (this was some thousands) but was not going to pay for the whole wedding.

Since D got married DH has had no communication with her and S1 because of something they did just after the wedding and said he would not communicate until he had an apology.

S1 got married, DH sent a cheque for the same amount as D1 had been given, wished him all the best and asked for an acknowledgement that the cheque had been received. Cheque was cashed but 3 years later DH is still waiting for acknowledgement. We know that the cheque was received by son and is not in the wrong hands.

D has moved house, become pregnant and had a child all without letting her dad know. Then a few weeks back he received a txt message with a photo, beginning “this is your grandchild.....”. It was not the best of messages, and my H decided that the txt had given him closure and that he’d get on with his life and forget about his C. However, my H had thought more about it and phoned D and it seems that things are back on track.

This has taken its toll on my H, he’s been quite ill over the dramas/estrangement and while I want him to have a relationship with his C, I am extremely worried about his health, (both friends and relations have commented on how ill he looks). The last few years have been so much quieter and drama free, and I thought that with “closure” over the last weeks, he was improving and looking better. I just don’t know how to feel about D being back in our lives again.

crazyH Sun 24-Jun-18 10:44:28

I applaud you for supporting your husband's relationship and generosity with his children. My 3 adult children have very little support, financially or emotionally from their father and his wife. They meet up and are on sort of friendly terms, but I was the one who helped financially with weddings etc even though I do not have much.
Btw, where is their Mum?

paddyann Sun 24-Jun-18 11:20:18

I think that what they got from their dad before you were married to him is irrelevant. The party after the wedding is also irrelevant ..its what a lot of young people do as soon as their parents backs are turned ...not something I would get my knickers in a knot over .If they were trying to fleece YOU that would be different.Most Dads who can help will help .We've paid for many deposits over the years and as they are both our children there was no isssue with it.If they are "spoilt" surely thats their parents fault ..they didn't spoil themselves and were given signals that parents would always step in and help.
Whatever they did or didn't do they ARE his kids , he will want to be in contact with them ,in fact if if my OH didn't want to keep in touch with his kids I would think he wasn't a man I would have around. Maybe he's not used to a peaceful existence and this reunion will add some spark into his life .

Liljan Sun 24-Jun-18 11:33:55

Thank you crazyH, I am sorry to hear that your children have not been as fortunate as my DH children, their mother lives a short distance away from the children and has also benefited from my DHs generosity both before and after they were divorced. She is also in a position to support her children and whether she has I would not know. The financial assistance goes without saying, it’s the attitude & behaviour of adults (aged 36 upwards) towards their father that is upsetting.

Liljan Sun 24-Jun-18 11:52:46

Thank you paddyann for your response, and my DH has been an excellent & supportive father to his C, yes, to the point that he has spoilt them, he has paid out numerous deposits, holidays, sent cheques when they were short etc, but when the apartment was sold and they then wanted their dad to stump up for a further deposit, that was where he drew the line. That happened when we were married and since we were married any financial support/gifts have come out of our joint account with my blessing. As for spark, life has been and is good, a simple apology could have resolved this years ago. I am happy to support my husband either way, but I am also the one who sees his health suffer when it blows up.

Nanabilly Sun 24-Jun-18 12:15:49

Wow ! Some story that is !
Why do these adult children behave like greedy selfish spoiled brats ?
We hear it so often nowadays so often we read similar on here but I find it impossible to comprehend ,I'm just so glad our AD x2 don't behave like it .I think I would just tell them " you have had all you are having now sod off unless you really do actually want to spend a pleasant hour or 2 in our company just being normal adults together" .
I am afraid I don't tolerate bad behaviour easily I just say exactly how I feel and then leave people with a choice. If they choose had behaviour or attitude again then I will keep well away until they can prove otherwise. I suppose it is more difficult with them being your step children but they are adults and should behave like it .
If I were in your shoes I would keep well away especially if your husband's health is improved since they kept away. How does he feel about it , will he stay away from them happily or is it causing him grief ?
They sound horrendous!

Liljan Sun 24-Jun-18 12:43:54

Nanabilly, thank you for your advice, I’m really not sure how my husband is, it was certainly causing him grief while they were estranged, not that he condoned their behaviour. He never admitted that he was ill because of the estrangement, but I felt that this was a big part of his problem and had encouraged him to get in contact. When the cheque was sent to S1 I had hoped that S1 would see it as an opportunity to get in contact with his dad, but it didn’t happen. Then after the tone of the message from D, it seemed to give him realisation that no apology was ever going to come and that he would get on with his life. But as I said, he has had 2nd thoughts and contacted her, I was/am supportive, thinking that he would be happier but now that it’s happened I’m not so sure how I feel. As I said, I’ll support him either way.

Luckygirl Sun 24-Jun-18 13:25:16

This is so hard for you. What a shame that things have turned out so badly. I am not sure what you can do without risking making the situation worse. It must be so hard to see all this taking a toll on your OH's health.

Liljan Sun 24-Jun-18 13:34:50

Thank you for your kind words Luckygirl, I guess it is just a matter of watching to see how my husband is coping, GP appointments and referral to hospital has taken place, we’re waiting on some results and hopefully a positive outcome will help my husband get well again, as I said, after a number of years of waiting he has now accepted that no apologies will be forthcoming and getting his head around this is also a big step forward.

agnurse Sun 24-Jun-18 19:06:57

I'm sorry that your SC ended up being so selfish. They seem incredibly ungrateful.

I would suggest that your DH maybe consider some counseling. As hard as it may be to hear this, it's not his right to force his children to have a relationship with him. They have chosen effectively not to do that. I would say that his best bet is to just take things as they come. Giving the situation headspace sadly does nothing except make him unhappy.

You might see if there is a young family in your area who would like to have you as "adopted grandparents". My parents are "adopted grandparents" to a family from their church.

Liljan Sun 24-Jun-18 21:03:04

Thank you agnurse for your post, you are so right, you cannot force relationships which are not workable. We are however very lucky in that our other children (both my husbands, and mine) have a great relationship with us and we have 4 fabulous grandchildren between us, we have a very happy life together, have had lots of adventures and live life to the full, I had hoped that the final sad chapter in relation to the D & S1 was coming to a close, and that his health was improving.....this may still be the case but with the D back in contact I’m a little on tenterhooks, as you say, it’s best to take things as they come, all I can do is wait and see if it will work out. p.s. how wonderful that your parents have been “adopted”.

luluaugust Mon 25-Jun-18 11:18:48

I am with agnurse on taking it as it comes. DH's daughter has made contact and shown a picture of the grandchild, he has responded after some thought, will she come to visit or invite you over, she may just feel she has told him and wait for his further response, very slowly seems the way forward, I am not sure if full closure ever really happens as people can't just be fully forgotten, feeling she is now settled may help your DH. I hope his health improves.

Coconut Mon 25-Jun-18 11:40:14

This reminds me of a previous post when someone was concerned re their grandchildren being so spoilt. When kids are given everything on a plate, they do not learn essential values in life and respect is one of them. So when someone does say NO to them they hit back to hurt, be it with words or lack of contact, and I have seen this with a dear friend. Unfortunately there is no solution here for you, you are already supporting him all you can. I would def speak to DH and voice your concerns re his health. Ideally I think he should maintain contact but stop giving financially. Often, hostility towards step mum/Dads and their family, is sadly often based on money and inheritance.

lollee Mon 25-Jun-18 11:42:27

I think the behaviour of the sc has been abhorrent, especially given their ages. Can't believe some of the advice on here, they need their heads banged together and dad's bank to close down. Unforgivable to blank your child and go to another room. They obviously see you and her as a threat to their supply of dosh. How you turn such appallingly bad adults into caring, loving sons and daughters is beyond me, I wish you lots of love and luck.

sluttygran Mon 25-Jun-18 11:45:36

I’m so sorry liljan that you have these worrying problems. Children can be very selfish and unthinking, but it doesn’t always mean lack of love - it’s just the way they are, especially if parents have always been generous.
My Significant Other has daughters like this. When he had a landmark birthday, they arranged a fabulous celebration dinner for all the family, partners, children etc., nothing but the best, then they handed SO the bill!
I was flabbergasted, and was quite glad that I wasn’t invited. I knew that I would not be included, as their mother (SO’s former wife) was there. They are a different religion to me, so I will always be the outsider.
He’s very pragmatic about this; if they’re happy, he’s happy, so I don’t say anything about it. He can spend his money how he pleases and I’m not called upon to contribute. Besides, I know that I would always put my children before any partner.
Sometimes we just have to make the best of a bad job.
The problem for you, of course, is that you can see your DH becoming distressed and ill over this. I’m afraid I wouldn’t know how to cope with this - I suppose all you can do is be as supportive as possible.
I do hope things become easier for you ! flowers

Liljan Mon 25-Jun-18 14:43:29

Thank you all for your supportive messages, it’s good to know that you are all in agreement that to continue being supportive is the best way forward.
luluaugust yes full closure is never likely to happen, I think the waiting for an apology/contact was what was eating at him. When he realised it was not going to happen, he was more of the opinion, we’ll they know where I am.
Coconut the saying NO bit was difficult to take and their response was to play the “guilt” card. I have voiced concerns re my DH health, he has gone for tests and we’re keeping our fingers crossed that it will be positive news.
lollee it’s not gone un-noticed by friends & family that there is a lack of respect towards me by the D, even in my home...this is also why I’m apprehensive about her being back in our lives. But if it helps my DH, then so be it, visits were not particularly frequent and therefore I can put up with it.
sluttygran you sound like you are in the same boat as myself, wishing you all the best.

To everyone who sent good wishes to my DH & myself, you have no idea the difference that it’s made, Thank you all.

GabriellaG Mon 25-Jun-18 23:55:46

Gosh! I wouldn't put up with any of that malarky. My partner's children are under 15 but there is no way that they would ever be allowed to grow into such self-entitled adult brats.
I feel sorry for the OP.
Money and families is often a double edged sword.

agnurse Tue 26-Jun-18 00:29:36

If D wants to be back in her father's life is it an option for him to see her without you, at least at first? This might be more palatable for her. Obviously you have the right to be respected. I'm just thinking that if she is offering a tentative olive branch, she might be more comfortable with just seeing her dad at first as a compromise.

Oopsadaisy53 Tue 26-Jun-18 06:42:52

I think that agnurse has a good idea, can your OH see them on his own? It doesn’t sound as though you would mind as you clearly have no great affection towards them, or, sadly , them towards you and he would obviously like to be in contact with them, it might help him to stop worrying about you all trying to get on, whilst he is unwell.
Just try to stop him giving them al of his money.

Cabbie21 Tue 26-Jun-18 08:37:42

I can see why some people are saying DH would do best to see his D on his own, and at first I agree. There is no point trying to force a relationship where one does not exist, or would hinder a potential return to good contact between father and daughter.
On the other hand, this could develop and drive a wedge between you, if D gets her own way and you are effectively excluded. This is what has happened to me. I am not going to derail the thread with my story, but be aware of the potential for future manipulation, as undoubtedly DH will feel a bond with his grandchild, and undoubtedly his D will be tapping him for cash.

Cabbie21 Tue 26-Jun-18 08:38:43

Sorry, I meant to say, I do hope your DH’s health improves. This has to be the first priority for you both.

Liljan Tue 26-Jun-18 12:49:23

Yes, I have thought it may improve things if I wasn’t around. DH had been divorced for some years before we met and I could therefore understand their reluctance towards me initially. I have tried to “back off” slightly, by missing visits every now and again so that C could have time with their Dad on their own, in fact, the last visit to his D was by himself. Saying that, DH is hurt & upset by the way I am sidelined and is adamant that after 15+ years we should be seen as a couple, that D should not dictate. Which brings us back to the situation we are now in. Cabbie21 you have my sympathies and hope that your situation was resolved.