Gransnet forums

Relationships

Stalemate

(7 Posts)
FlexibleFriend Sat 14-Jul-18 16:51:03

See a solicitor for advice but be wary of using one for the actual divorce unless you have 10's of thousands to spare for the fees. Be aware all assets will be classed as 50/50 ownership as I discovered when divorcing my ex, the house I owned outright and he'd never paid a bean for he still managed to get his hands on 25% of.

luluaugust Sat 14-Jul-18 16:36:07

Yes see a Solicitor its one way to get an idea of how to proceed, you can roughly work out your assets, just do a bit of homework so you know how you stand before trying to say anything to him. Maybe you saying you are leaving will cause him to finally talk. There are so many health problems this could be, good luck.

OldMeg Sat 14-Jul-18 13:19:22

See a solicitor.

Melanieeastanglia Sat 14-Jul-18 13:13:58

I am sorry for you and wish you the very best of luck.

Does he have any other kind of problem with his mind, as well as depression? Sometimes, as people age, changes in personality can arise through various illnesses. Is this possible or was he always difficult?

If you decide to proceed with divorce, I suppose you could see a Solicitor and ask the best way forward.

MissAdventure Sat 14-Jul-18 12:59:54

You don't need your husbands agreement to start to carve a life of your own.
The fact that he isn't interested enough to discuss the probable ending of your marriage is telling..

M0nica Sat 14-Jul-18 12:51:24

Go and see a solicitor and ask how this can be done. You can instigate divorce proceedings without moving out of the house. I assume you have already moved into a separate bedroom, although that is not absolutely necessary.

Nannyto3 Sat 14-Jul-18 12:49:00

After 17 years of marriage I want to move on. My OH has become verbally aggressive and since our retirement 9 years ago has little interest in doing anything other than watching TV. I realise he may be depressed, but whatever approach I make he is unwilling to discuss it and screams and swears at me if I have the temerity to mention it. Having suffered from depression myself I do understand how hard it is,however.....At 66 I want more out of life than living with this difficult man.
I would love to sell the house and buy a small place where I can live on my own. But how? How do I move on when he won’t even discuss matters?