Gransnet forums

Relationships

Sister Issues

(27 Posts)
SueSocks Sat 04-Aug-18 19:39:52

I have never been close to my sister there is a 10 year age gap between us and we are very different. We were close for a while when her children were young, we live at opposite ends of England but got together when we could. I spent a lot of money on her children when they were growing up (& was happy to do so) and even gave her money for medical treatment.
During the last few years of our mothers life I was estranged from her, it caused no friciton between my sister and myself. However after the death of my mother my niece sent a very rude email accusing me of not caring for my mother and leaving my sister to do everything. She knows nothing of the reasons for my estrangement and she never will.
Since then I have exchanged birthday cards with my sister and still sent her now grown up children gifts of money for Christmas, Easter and birthdays. My sister never contacts me, if I call she will speak, but there is an atmosphere, she will never call me. She sometimes answers my texts. She was recently in a town that is just 5 miles from where I live and made no effort to let me know, other than sending a photo of herself at a local landmark saying, "Look where I have been", this was sent when she was on her way home.
I recently sent her a text to ask how they were, when she replied I let her know that I was waiting to have an operation on my knee and also that I was awaiting the results of some tests for cancer - she has not replied to this message, clearly she doesn't care. I am upset by her lack of a response. Should I cut off all contact with her? Having no children of my own, she is my only family (apart from my amazing husband) & it is hard to cut contact completely , but I no longer have the energy to sustain this relationship where I am the one doing all the texting, calling etc. My cancer tests have come back negative, so I am looking ahead with a really positive outlook & am having physio instead of an op on my knee. She is the only negative part of my life and I cannot get her out of my head. Any thoughts?

Luckylegs9 Mon 13-Aug-18 07:59:44

Sue Socks, try and make a new life for yourself and accept the relationship with your sister was never close. I would however, write to her and your niece, explaining the reason of the estrangement and that you did make your peace, you love them both and miss them but will respect their wishes. Post it and let it go. You are not overset, no one us, not even your sister and niece. We all have to forgive and move on.